Tutorial: Creating XML homescreens

Guest w411y

Okay heres the screenshots...

Screenshot_1.bmpScreenshot_2.bmp

Ignore the Homer. If you lessen the height of the Time/Date/Carrier plugin then the Profile and Messages will come up and fit snug in their boxes ;) Another thing Ill point out is your background image should be 240x293 (yours is 300) and the top 25 is usually taken up by an Iconbar plugin so may be worth making the light area up the top bigger. Colour scheme may look better in black and white also.

Other than that its a very nice screen.

@Lemac... What did you do to the XML? Manually delete the symbols and repress Enter? Thanks for doing the dirty work :D

Edited by w411y

Guest MrIndependent

Thank you, now I know what to edit! ;-)

Hopefully my phone will come soon, so I can test the homescreens myself. Still need some time to find my way thru all this new stuff *g*

Guest nickcornaglia

Nice tutorial. I never use Ruttensoft or the like. I prefer the old notepad method myself.

As for the squares in the XML....I get that when view other webbased files at times. If you open it up in DreamWeaver....it translates them correctly. After a save it is viewable in notepad again.

Guest Hurley Griffin

W411y great tutorial!

id thought id never make my own theme, but this tutorial really helped!

one question, how do you display the Network Provider on the homescreen? cause im using your template, and changed bits around, but i notice you dont have the Network Provider displayed, how do you get that to display back up?

in your picture (below) you have fade out lines in between the Start and Contacts and they seem to be bold too, how did you make them like that? mine are just really thin lines at the moment? and what is the code for the calender?

thanks!!

mandy6eg.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

@ encece.... cheers fella ;)

@hurley griffin.... the principles for carrier(network provider) are the same for the date and time however the tag is <\carrier> ( that maybe incorrect, i dont have my pc to check) which also means i cannot give an example of the calendar plugin, so you will have to download and open another xml abd things will begin to make sense.

oh and those bold gradient lines are only available for devices with WM5.

Edited by w411y

Guest Hurley Griffin
@hurley griffin.... the principles for carrier(network provider) are the same for the date and time however the tag is <\carrier>    ( that maybe incorrect, i dont have my pc to check) which also means i cannot give an example of the calendar plugin, so you will have to download and open another xml abd things will begin to make sense.

oh and those bold gradient lines are only available for devices with WM5.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

ah right, okay, thanks for the heads up!

i give <\carrier> and try and see if it works and if not i get back to ya ;)

Guest Hurley Griffin

hey w411y, im having some troubles trying to align the Profile with the Calendar

so what i mean is i want it to be displayed like this (sorry i dont know know how to take a screen shot like you have done!)

Profile: Normal No Appointments:

but its not letting me. each time i try changing the Y co-ordinates, either one of them gets hidden, cause the lable is too big or something, but when i change the lable size, it gets too small to fit everything in. im quite confused!!

edit: if you can also tell me how to take a screen shot of the phone i can explain it much easier!

<!--Calendar--!>

<plugin clsid="{865A354A-4A96-4687-B001-C155DC0DBE76}" name="calendar" height="40">

<background b-border-width="0">

<format state="selected" font-weight="normal" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#FFFFFF"/>

</background>

<label font-size="18" x="117" y="25" w="105" fgcolor="#FFFFFF">

<format state="unselected"  font-weight="normal" />

<format state="selected" font-weight="bold"/>

<text><subject/></text>

</label>

</plugin>

<plugin clsid="{95976968-45D5-40c9-9779-2B859B1C2FEC}" name="Profile" height="65" >

<background b-border-width="0">

</background>

<label x="5" y="40" halign="left" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#ffffff" font-size="18">

<format state="unselected"  font-weight="normal" />

<format state="selected" font-weight="bold"/>

<text>Profile: <profile/></text>

</label>

</plugin>

Edited by Hurley Griffin

I knw what you mean. If you read over the turorial I mention that plugins work as layers, and that the profile label can only be shown in the designsted layer. The Orange plugin allows you to do this however, so does RJshortcut.

Ill give better help when my pc is sorted

Can you guys help me i have a HTC tornado (qtek 8310)

I want to design a similar home screen to this one, and here is a picture of what I want to get or do exactly:

what-i-want.JPG

Can someone design me a home screen xml ;) or help me to do one or help me to find one like the one of my dreams.

I sux at XML :?:

Edited by frem

try the tutorial and see how things go. just take it bit by bit.I might whip something up for you when my pc is fixed

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tryed already ;) but XML and me are just not getting allong lol. But i'll try again thank you.

Guest nevawlkalone
Can you guys help me i have a HTC tornado (qtek 8310)

I want to design a similar home screen to this one, and here is a picture of what I want to get or do exactly:

what-i-want.JPG

Can someone design me a home screen xml ;) or help me to do one or help me to find one like the one of my dreams.

I sux at XML  :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What sort of screen? Whats the res on your phone?

What sort of screen? Whats the res on your phone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Its a QTEK 8310 i think the resolution is 240*320

Qtek_8310_1_h320.jpg

Edited by frem

Guest nevawlkalone
Its a QTEK 8310 i think the resolution is 240*320

Qtek_8310_1_h320.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wat sort of background do you have in mind??? Design wise, colour bkg image etc??!!??!!!???!!??

Wat sort of background do you have in mind??? Design wise, colour bkg image etc??!!??!!!???!!??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ok here is exactly what i want size is the same as the folowing picture.

I d'ont want you to design a backround for me i just want the homesecreen with the options and i will design with paint the backround :

homescreen.jpg

I hope you have enough informations

Edited by frem

Guest nevawlkalone
Ok here is exactly what i want size is the same as the folowing picture.

I d'ont want you to design a backround for me i just want the homesecreen with the options and i will design with paint the backround :

homescreen.jpg

I hope you have enough informations

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ah riiiight, sorry mate wasnt with you for a second there..... Back at work today...only a smdge tired ;)

Will c what i cn do for you!

Ah riiiight, sorry mate wasnt with you for a second there..... Back at work today...only a smdge tired  ;)

Will c what i cn do for you!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thank you so muchhhh :D