Tutorial: Creating XML homescreens

Guest w411y

Guest Baules
Have you made sure the file is named .home?

The name of the homescreen is : Baules.home.xml

I tried to put it here but it doesn't work.

I also copied a .xml homescreen from the application data/home and modified it's name xxx.home.xml, and i still can't see it when i go to settings/homescreens.

Guest Baules
If you can upload the file here I can download it and take a look for you ;)

I can't upload the file here. So, you can take the file form ... here

Can anyone please help me with this problem ?

Edited by Baules

Hi Baules, that took a little sorting out. Anyway it works ok but I'm not totally sure about all the shortcuts as it seems you have some in your Windows folder. Give it a go and let me know how it goes.....looby ;)

post-116892-1223062228_thumb.jpg

Baules.home.zip

Edited by Looby

Guest Baules
Hi Baules, that took a little sorting out. Anyway it works ok but I'm not totally sure about all the shortcuts as it seems you have some in your Windows folder. Give it a go and let me know how it goes.....looby ;)

Can you tell me what i was doing wrong and why i could not see the file baules.home.xml in the settings-> homescreens ?

This is my first edit of a homescreen so i do not know what will come out, and i had a problem right at the begining by not being able to load my homescreen.

Edited by Baules

Hi Baules, there were many issues, you only need one mistake like a white-space missing and it will not form correctly. Anyway the xml file is in the zip-folder above if you want to download it and install it on your device. ;)

NB. If you want to play with xml editing it's best to start with one not quite so complicated.

Edited by Looby

Guest Baules
Hi Baules, there were many issues, you only need one mistake like a white-space missing and it will not form correctly. Anyway the xml file is in the zip-folder above if you want to download it and install it on your device. ;)

NB. If you want to play with xml editing it's best to start with one not quite so complicated.

Now I have the perfect Homescreen for me: Rincu Iconbar, GPRS traffic monitor, shortcuts to most used application, a lot of entries on my callendar and the HTC Home plugin, witch is great.

Thankyou Looby for your help.

You can see a printscreen attached

Captured_4.bmp

Edited by Baules

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Jay Robb

I wish I saw this before I tore open about 20 xml files to learn how.

I made a theme but I can't figure out how to make cab.

This theme is not as brilliant as I imagined but it is functional

the default screen settings bug me because I know my screen is 320X240 and the start takes about 25

If I change the default to any thing other than this is will mess up it may help to know I have a moto q 9h

default target-width="240" target-height="320" actual-width="320" actual-height="240"

post-441225-1224953654_thumb.jpg

post-441225-1224952306_thumb.jpg

it seems I cant upload the xml so here is the code:

<?xml version="1.0"?>  

<home>  

<author>Jay Robb</author>  

<contacturl>http://jaysnet.us</contacturl>  

<title>LCAR</title>  

<version>1.0</version>  

<!-- Defaults -->  

<default target-width="240" target-height="320" actual-width="320" actual-height="240" font-face="Segoe Condensed" font-size="19" font-weight="normal" padding-left="0" padding-right="0" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="COLOR_HOMETEXT" padding-top="0" b-border-color="COLOR_HOMERULE" b-border-width="0">  

<format state="selected" fgcolor="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHTTEXT"/>  

</default>  

<!-- Background -->  

<background bgimage="LCAR.jpg" bgimage-rotated="LCAR.jpg" valign="top" bgcolor="#000000" />  

<!-- Colour Scheme -->  

<scheme>  

<color name="COLOR_TRAYGRADLEFT" value="#0F93FF"/>  

<color name="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT" value="#0080FF"/>  

</scheme>  

<!-- Missed Calls Plugin -->  

<plugin clsid="{0BA8ABB8-1F1D-417f-88C6-DA8530E2E7A6}" name="missedcalls" height="220">  

<background b-border-width="0" bgimage="\Application Data\Home\LCAR.jpg" valign="top">  

<format state="selected" bgcolor="COLOR_HOMEHIGHLIGHT"/>  

</background>  

<format state="nocall" visible="false"/>  

<label  halign="center" bgcolor="#999999" fgcolor="#FF8000"  font-weight="bold" y="70" w="320" h="220" font-size="32">  

<text lang="0x0409"> <calls/>: Missed subspace communication</text>  

</label>  

</plugin>  

<!-- Spacer Plugin -->  

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{5419F376-6520-4407-B8B8-740F5B353EDA}" height="5"></plugin>  

<!-- IconBar Plugin -->  

<plugin clsid="{837FC251-FE69-43ad-84E0-EBCEDEBA0884}" name="iconbar" height="27">  

<iconbar fgcolor="#800080"/>  

<background bgcolor="transparent" b-border-color="COLOR_WINDOWFRAME"/>  

</plugin>  

<!-- Carrier Plugin -->  

<plugin clsid="{E09043DF-510E-4841-B652-388316977A7A}" name="carrier" height="37">  

<clock>  

<time font-weight="bold" fgcolor="#FF8000" font-size="19" valign="top" halign="left" mode="24" y="18" x="40" w="320"/>  

<date font-weight="bold" fgcolor="#FF8000" font-size="19" valign="top" halign="left" mode="short" y="18" x="237" w="320"/>  

</clock>  

</plugin>  

<!-- Profile Plugin -->  

<plugin clsid="{95976968-45D5-40c9-9779-2B859B1C2FEC}" name="Profile" height="16">  

<background>  

<format state="selected" bgcolor="transparent"/>  

</background>  

<label h="16">  

<format state="selected" x="241" y="0" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#800080" font-size="16"/>  

<format state="unselected" x="241" y="0" font-weight="normal" fgcolor="#8000FF" font-size="16"/>  

<text>alert:<profile/></text>  

</label>  

</plugin>  

<!-- Spacer Plugin -->  

<plugin file="sysplug.dll" clsid="{5419F376-6520-4407-B8B8-740F5B353EDA}" height="19"></plugin>  

<!-- SMS Count Plugin -->  

<plugin clsid="{2F930BF0-6FE9-4a53-9E17-88E9247BAB48}" name="SMScount" height="18">  

<background b-border-width="0"/>  

<label y="0" x="258">  

<format state="selected" halign="left" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#FF8080" font-weight="normal" font-size="19" />  

<format state="unselected" halign="left" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#804040" font-weight="normal" font-size="19" />  

<text>MMS:<unreadEmail/></text>  

</label>  

<label y="0" x="40">  

<format state="selected" halign="left" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#FF8080" font-weight="normal" font-size="19" />  

<format state="unselected" halign="left" bgcolor="transparent" fgcolor="#804040" font-weight="normal" font-size="19" />  

<text>SMS:<unreadSMS/></text>  

</label>  

</plugin>  

<!-- MRU Plugin -->  

<plugin clsid="{79EFB752-CB70-446d-B317-499723482B3D}" name="startmru" height="90">  

<background b-border-width="0" />  

<mru icon-size="16" x="38" y="68" halign="left" valign="top" max-buttons="8" />  

</plugin>  

</home>

thanks for the great info

Jay

also wa11y you posted a link to a Simpson theme, I like what you did there but don't want that theme,, could you show us how to put the different pages in?

Edited by Jay Robb

Guest PierreGoyette

Is there a way to define what plugin has the keyboard focus by default? When I turn on my phone, the first plugin has the keyboard focus. I'd like the second plugin to get the focus instead.

TIA,

Pierre

Guest Jay Robb
Is there a way to define what plugin has the keyboard focus by default? When I turn on my phone, the first plugin has the keyboard focus. I'd like the second plugin to get the focus instead.

TIA,

Pierre

I am on my first smartphone, but as for mine the focus is always on the top plugin. I have not seen anyone change it.

Edited by Jay Robb

Guest klaberte

I have a t-mobile dash running Windows Mobile 6.0 standard.

I have had no luck with this text plugin (nor the owner plugin)

<?xml version="1.0"?>

Ken
http://www.foo.com
Foo

I love french fries

[/codebox]

I note that both of these plugins include a call to the sysplug.dll. Is it possible that my phone does not have this dll? Where should I check?

Secondly, I have read contradictory information about where the .home.xml file should go. It seems that there is a copy of all of my .home.xml in both the /Application Data/Home directory as well as the /Windows directory. Do I need the same file copied in both locations? What's the deal here?

Thanks!

• 2 months later...

How do you put two plugins in one line? I have:

<!--Bluetooth-->

<!--Profile-->

Profile:

They currently come up in 2 lines and I wanted them to stay in the same line to save space. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

• 2 months later...
Guest JaredHilton

Hello, this is my first post in on this forum, so extremely new to this. But, this tutorial has really helped me a lot! Thanks W411y!

I'm also wanting what miniG wants. I'm trying to put multiple plugins across the screen horizontally, but every plugin drops to the next line and is listed vertically. Can i change this?

I hope someone can help me. Thanks, now i'll keep reading the rest of this thread. LOL! Stopped on page 7 to ask the question.

BTW...i have the AT&T Samsung BlackJack SGH-i607 (1st Generation).

Edited by JaredHilton