Gigabyte launches first TV enabled WM5 Pocket PC

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul [MVP]

Gigabyte, the Taiwanese manufacturer probably best know for their Motherboards and Graphics Cards, have launched their first Windows Mobile 5 Pocket PC Phone Edition, the g-Smart.

Featuring ground breaking analogue TV (PAL/NTSC) and a FM radio, as well as a 416MHz Intel processor, WiFi (802.11b), 2.1 MegaPixel Camera and MiniSD expansion, the device looks sure to be a hit should it make it to European shores. Interestinly, the device spec features 'Direct Push', indicating the device will ship with the Windows Mobile 5 Messaging and Security Feature Pack (MSFP) installed.

No news yet of potential partners either in Europe or in the US, but we'll keep you updated as we hear more. In the meantime, enjoy the further details / specs / photo from the Gigabyte site, which can be found here!

Gigabyte launches the first PDA phone featuring TV. The built-in Microsoft Windows Mobile 5.0 provides the best PDA and PIM (Personal Information Management) solutions for business persons . Besides basic PDA phone functions, g-Smart is equipped with Bluetooth, Wi - Fi and comprehensive English-Chinese two way electronic dictionary. Moreover, the analog TV , up-to-date PAPAGO G10 navigation system and a free 256MB Mini SD card are apt to enrich your leisure life. 

Service - GSM 900/1800/1900, GPRS class 10 

Main Display - 2.4 inch, 262k color TFT LCD touch panel, 240 x 320 pixels 

Size - 109 × 53.5 × 24 mm 

Weight - 153g (including battery) 

Battery - Li-Ion 840 mAh, Li-Ion 1300mAh is also available for purchase

Talk Time  - Digital Talk Time up to 3 hours

Standby - 110 hours

Phonebook - Maxium 500 contacts. 

Operating System - Windows Mobile 5.0 for Pocket PC Phone Edition 

CPU - Intel PXA272, 416 MHz

Memory - ROM 64 MB, RAM 64 MB

Multimedia Messaging Service - E-mail, SMS, MMS, MSN Messenger, Windows Mobile Direct Push

TV - NTSC/PAL

Camera - 2.1 mega pixels with macro function, digital zoom, and video recording

Music/Video - MP3/MPEG4 player 

Radio - FM

Music - MP3 Player

Ringtone - 192 polyphonic ringtone (64 polyphonic played simultaneously)

Voice command - Voice dialing and commands

Data Transfer Interface - Bluetooth 1.2.1, Mini USB 1.1

Wi-Fi - WLAN 802.11b

Dictionary - 100k words dictionary. 

GPRS/WAP - GPRS/WAP2.0

External Memory - Mini SD (256MB Mini SD card is enclosed)

product.150.gSmart.gif

That phone looks like the bomb! Touch screen? Is that supported in WM5? But ticks ALL the boxes - WLAN, radio, TV, decent sounding camera, miniSD. Hmmm, hope it gets a UK release.

Guest Paul [MVP]

Yeah, it has a numeric keypad, which excites me (if it's implemented properly!)

Touch Screen as it's Pocket PC.

Wonder where the big aerial appears from (there must be one for TV surely!)

P

Guest Samsonite
it looks quite nice, but as normal a bet the uk will never see it :<

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

it better had!!! i've been using my Qtek now for months and the itch has started (for a new toy, not the other type)... d'ya think my CoPilot Live 5 would work on this?

i have a few months left on contract so i will hold my breath for this one...

Guest Samsonite

would this model be: sold directly by Gigabyte, customised (wrecked) and made available by a network operator or will people like i-mate/Qtek make it one of theirs?

i truly hope it makes it to the UK, i am a little lost as to where to go next... i need a PPC for outlook etc so need the Win Mobile platform but the C600 doesnt do it for me, the Universal's too big and i cant be doing with a slidey keyboard thing on the Wizard..

this puppy is just the ticket methinks...

Edited by Samsonite

Guest mike-oh

oh and this looks neat, i can think of several fun applications for it

"Background Effects: Unique background environment simulating sounds during calls ensures your whereabouts are secured and private. "

Or perhaps pretending to be somewhere you're not! MWAahahahaha :)

**edit**

Darn, looking at those pics tho it's a bit of a fat bugger! A bit bigger than an i-mate Jam and fatter too! and it was looking sooooo good!

Edited by mike-oh

Guest djfuego

PASS THAT SH!T HERE! :twisted:

Err hang on.. gonna need to invest in a TV license aren't we? that doesn't make sense..

TV License dude: We have reason to believe you have a tv in the house?

Me: Nope sorry no tv here check out all the rooms :)

Whats the deal then.. if you don't have a TV license and buy this, you are breaking the law?

Edited by djfuego

Guest mike-oh

Ummmmm kinda. You can use a pocket tv so long as it is being run on batteries and you have a license for your permanent residence. But to be honest, who the hell is going to know!

Hahah you can just imagine the tv licensing people getting p*ssed off when they see this released.

Sounds a good idea what with WiFi implmented as well as what looks like a pretty fast Intel PXA272, 416 MHz!

The HTC Prophet still has my choice at the moment. However that numeric keypad appeals as an inbetween choice. It adds a touch of Smartphone; a combination of them both.

Guest HerpezP

Paul, you will have to have the headset connected when watching TV (or listening to the FM radio for that matter), because it uses that as antenna (I read it somewhere - can find it if you need proof :)).

Other than the obvious specs, I am too compelled by the fact that this adds a numrical keypad to the Pocket PC platform. If i'm correct, only Samsung is making something in this department (ie. the cancelled i750) - where are you HTC Blizzard? :D. I don't need a full qwerty keypad, but I'm pretty sure i will miss a numerical keypad for texting and shortcuts.

The two downsides are the size (I don't think I would throw my money after this baby without having seen it live beforehand) and possibly the battery life - only 840 mAh...

Edited by HerpezP

Guest shadamehr
Seems silly since analogue is being switched off in a few years time...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

2011-2012 if I recall the latest conservative estimates.

If your planning on still using your device six or seven years from now I would be amazed mate.

Finally, the chip needed to receive DIGITAL tv signals? now how big would THAT have to be mate? Come on.

Add to that, the fact that to receive Freeview, vast swathes of the population need a Wideband aerial upgrade.

So how in the heck do you suppose that equates to a Pocket PC sized device lol.

Technology MAY catch up one day, but sure not yet mate.

If you made a device with what you ask for today, it would be the size of a small suitcase, and would need an aerial like taxi drivers have on their car for CB's.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but you see my point *lol*

Guest dolphinsmile
PASS THAT SH!T HERE! :twisted:

Err hang on.. gonna need to invest in a TV license aren't we? that doesn't make sense..

TV License dude: We have reason to believe you have a tv in the house?

Me: Nope sorry no tv here check out all the rooms  :)

Whats the deal then.. if you don't have a TV license and buy this, you are breaking the law?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

When you buy the phone you will have to give your address, which will then be sent to the TV license centre who will then know that you have the pocket phone/television. So you'll have to pay or go to jail.

Its been done that way for years.

Guest dolphinsmile
2011-2012 if I recall the latest conservative estimates.

If your planning on still using your device six or seven years from now I would be amazed mate.

Finally, the chip needed to receive DIGITAL tv signals? now how big would THAT have to be mate? Come on.

Add to that, the fact that to receive Freeview, vast swathes of the population need a Wideband aerial upgrade.

So how in the heck do you suppose that equates to a Pocket PC sized device lol.

Technology MAY catch up one day, but sure not yet mate.

If you made a device with what you ask for today, it would be the size of a small suitcase, and would need an aerial like taxi drivers have on their car for CB's.

I'm exaggerating a bit, but you see my point *lol*

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nothing of the sort look for the, FREECOM_DVB_T_USB_Stick on google

post-130713-1135119011_thumb.jpg

Edited by dolphinsmile

A v.gimicky phone, can't see the TV part coming off to well though. Have you ever tried to get a decent signal with a pocket tv or even with a portable 14" and a plug in areial, signal is usually never that good.

Now if you could sync it with your media device as seamlessly as you do with Activesync (you know what I mean, the way it should work in an ideal world) that records TV onto a HD, then that would be a good feature for carrying around and watching TV. Just have visions of poeple moving and waving their arms about trying to get a good signal :)

Guest shadamehr
Nothing of the sort look for the, FREECOM_DVB_T_USB_Stick on google

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's EVERYTHING of the sort, and EXACTLY what I meant!

Those are external devices, and an external big aerial.

Incorporate the chip in that USB dongle, into a Pocket PC, and how big do you think it would make it? (Clue - look at the big 'hump' on the Cingular launched 2125 SmartPhone, then look at the INTERNAL shots of how the extra aerial strip is actually very small in fact).

Then, incorporate an aerial INTERNALLY into the Pocket PC, athat has the same coverage as the external one in your picture, and how big do you think that would add to the Pocket PC.

Thanks for the example - just what I was after.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.