New MDA Vario ROM released

Guest Pondrew

Guest Pondrew

T-Mobile have updated their download manager with all the UK MDA and SDA device ROMs. The T-Mobile Download Manager can be found here.

In most cases the ROMs are the original production releases, but there is good news in that the MDA Vario has received it's first updated rom dated 08/12/05.

No info given of changes in the new Vario ROM so get updating (make sure you read the instructions first!) and let us know how you get on! 8)

Guest adchaffey
No info given of changes in the new Vario rom so get updating (make sure you read the instructions first!) and let us know how you get on!  8)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Please let us know what the update changes people!

Guest atonks
Please let us know what the update changes people!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think I'll wait. The Vario has a few bugs, but I'm not sure it's worth the hassle. If they could tell me what the upgrade acheived then maybe....

"The upgrade process will erase all personalised data including software applications and settings. This will bring your device to the state when you first bought it."

"All email settings will be lost and therefore they will need to be reconfigured - please make a note of these prior to running the upgrade.

All personalised data including software applications, T-Mobile downloads, web favourites, any POP3 emails, SMS, MMS, and other settings would be erased during the upgrade process."

It's a T-Mobile update. Surely it should come with T-Mobile SMS and MMS settings

"Once the upgrade has been completed you will need to reload any applications - applications provided on the separate CD when the device was bought, but also separate applications that you have bought and loaded onto the device."

Guest Pondrew

All that is par for the course with rom updates aside from the sms and mms settings. And I seriously doubt T-Mobile would have left them out of the rom. Surely someone with a Vario has done this update by now and can tell us if so?!

Guest adchaffey
All that is par for the course with rom updates aside from the sms and mms settings. And I seriously doubt T-Mobile would have left them out of the rom. Surely someone with a Vario has done this update by now and can tell us if so?!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah, I'm only bothered about having to install my apps again. It's taken a while to get my vario just how i wanted it. Please someone install this update.

I was one of the people stupid enough to update the C500 with the French ROM a while back on my UK C500 with a bit of bodging. Now I'm a little reluctant to be the first person to jump on a bandwagon if you know what i mean?? ;)

Guest mavisdavis

@adchaffey

Install Sprite backup mate. It'll back up all your program and game short cuts and put them all back after the rom update.

Not that I've done the update as I dont have a Vario ;)

Guest st3ph3n

If no one else wants to go first then I will.

I've got it installed and WM2005 is definetly running quicker and smoother than it previously did. MMS and SMS settings are indeed in the rom, so no need to worry about them. I can't see any other differences, but then I might not spot them.

I was lucky that I've only had my Vario just over a week so there wasn't much to backup, but as a C500 update veteran I knew the score as to what happens.

SPB Pocket Plus and SPB GPRS Monitor (free on the T-mobile CD in case anyone didn't know) installed to make things better, now just need to wander round the rest of the settings to get everything back to normal.

Guest Pondrew
If no one else wants to go first then I will.

I've got it installed and WM2005 is definetly running quicker and smoother than it previously did. MMS and SMS settings are indeed in the rom, so no need to worry about them. I can't see any other differences, but then I might not spot them.

Cheers for letting us know st3ph3n,

Out of curiousity, what version of Windows Mobile 5 does the Vario have after update? The MDA Compact II has 5.1.70 (Build 14409.1.1.2). And while we're on the topic, can someone explain why the About Screen on my Compact II says it's Windows Mobile 5.0 then goes on to list version 5.1.x on the same screen?

Guest hunyango_uk
,Jan 6 2006, 17:20]I'm tempted to try the update but interestingly the site also says that the next update is due in March.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

saw that too, dunno why do they have the ROM schedule update for march 2006. does it mean that the present ROM update still got some few bugs and will be fixed by the ROM on March 2006? ;)

Edited by hunyango_uk

Guest st3ph3n

Maybe they'll be giving us G access!

I've found one thing that doesn't appear to be quite right. The slider for the display brightness on SPB Pocket Plus isn't working, even after a re-install.

Everything else is going swimmingly.

Guest steve_smith
saw that too, dunno why do they have the ROM schedule update for march 2006. does it mean that the present ROM update still got some few bugs and will be fixed by the ROM  on March 2006? ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Could the March update possibly be the messaging pack which lets you get push email from Exchange Server 2003 without having to use SMS?

I believe that Microsoft is releasing the software to OEMs about now, so by the time HTC and T-Mobile have fiddled with it, we'll probably be in March.

I stopped using my Vario today, because it has a number of niggly problems (including the fact I noticed call quality is nowhere near as good as my old C500 which I switched back to). I might try this ROM and see if it makes me fall in love all over again :-)

Steve.

Guest Pondrew
I've found one thing that doesn't appear to be quite right. The slider for the display brightness on SPB Pocket Plus isn't working, even after a re-install.

Did that ever work for you? Because it's never worked on my MDA Compact II. I assumed it was an example of T-Mobile bundling software that wasn't fully WM5 compatible! As it works fine on my MDA III...

Guest st3ph3n
Did that ever work for you? Because it's never worked on my MDA Compact II. I assumed it was an example of T-Mobile bundling software that wasn't fully WM5 compatible! As it works fine on my MDA III...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm sure it did work. It's not something I'll use much anyway, it was just that I was changing it on that and it wasn't doing anything, then after a soft reset it was booting up with the backlight turned off. If I adjusted it in the settings again the slider was changing to reflect that. Although halfway up the slider was for full backlight!

T-Mobile didn't bundle that, just the GPRS monitor. But I did get SPB Pocketplus trial off their website. The close button tool is worth the admission alone.

I must say that I'm now a bit more at ease with the Vario. Moving from the C500 (best phone I've ever owned) to it had a rocky start but once I got it all configured nicely I'm starting to really like it.

Guest the_ape
I'm sure it did work. It's not something I'll use much anyway, it was just that I was changing it on that and it wasn't doing anything, then after a soft reset it was booting up with the backlight turned off. If I adjusted it in the settings again the slider was changing to reflect that. Although halfway up the slider was for full backlight!

T-Mobile didn't bundle that, just the GPRS monitor. But I did get SPB Pocketplus trial off their website. The close button tool is worth the admission alone.

I must say that I'm now a bit more at ease with the Vario. Moving from the C500 (best phone I've ever owned) to it had a rocky start but once I got it all configured nicely I'm starting to really like it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I does not work on me wifes Vario, never has (latest version of Pocket+ as I actualy bought it for my XDA a while back) It does however work perfectly on my XDA Exec (universal), so not a WM5 thing, just a Wizard thing by the looks of it.

Guest kamawell

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm just thinking of making the move from the C500 to the Vario myself. What kind of problems did you have?

Guest hunyango_uk

already install the new rom. the first thing that i noticed w/ my vario is, i can't connect to internet thru gprs. :D trying to do a hard reset but how hard is it to do that, press the comm button + voice command button +reset button and still it didn't go back to its default settings. and all the apps that i install is still there.

quick update:

the answer to my question is patience. ;) already done with hard reset, internet with gprs is working. no problem at all, just looking for new changes w/ new rom. :D

Edited by hunyango_uk

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Pondrew

Annoyingly the download manager would seem to have been taken down, certainly it's not available at the moment. Most pages are just gone aside from the old update pages for the MDA III/MDA Compact. The MDA Vario rom update page now redirects you to T-Mobile UK's website where I've found it impossible to find any roms.

Wanted to check if the MDA Compact II had received an update yet... :?:

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.