NEW Qtek 8310 ROM in february

Guest tha_neo

Guest fraccaro
Works fine. I have no idea what the changes/updates are though. I lost Swedish T9 / characters with this update, but that was expected, I will manage to do without it 'til the proper new update comes.

Pain in the ass to reinstall all software now .. :)

/E

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Does the newer German ROM have the e-mail push feature? Also, is A2DP included?

Thanks.

Does the newer German ROM have the e-mail push feature?  Also, is A2DP included?

Thanks.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How can I check that ? I don't have any Stereo Sound BT Equipment, and I don't know how to check that e-mail push thing ...

/Eminos

Guest fraccaro
How can I check that ? I don't have any Stereo Sound BT Equipment, and I don't know how to check that e-mail push thing ...

/Eminos

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry, I guess I thought it might be in the release notes.

A closer look at already released version of this show its actually not all that great. Before everyone asks where to download it i'm talking about releases for other phones/devices.

As we already knew Microsofts version of 'push email' requires an outgoing (TCP) connection from the mobile to the exchange server. This connection provides the means for the exhcange server to push the mesage to you.

If the connection drops, the mobile has to re-establish it. If you know anything about TCP you'll know that an unacknowledged close - i.e. a complete drop of IP conectivity between two nodes - can leave a TCP connection hung. Neither side will know if the connection has closed. The typical solution to this is to send a 'ping' or 'heatbeart' down the connection. If you didn't receive a heartbeat in a predefined time you know the connection was dropped.

Anyway back to the point, the heartbeat used by Microsoft Push email is 420bytes, and the default period is 120 seconds. That means you're using 420bytes every 2 minutes regardless of if you have email or not.

Multiply this up for a 30 day month:

420bytes * 30 times an hour * 24 hours * 30 days = 9072000 bytes

9072000 bytes / 1024 = 8859.375 kbytes

8859.375 kbytes / 1024 = 8.65 MB per month

And thats even if you don't get any email!

The heartbeat can be changed with the obvious consequences (you're email could be upto 'heartbeat time' times delayed if the connection dropped, but you save alot on data).

Do i guess its a kind of push email!

Ok so why did they do it this way i hear everyone ask, and why can blackberry do it another way.. quite simple..

With GPRS you will NOT usually have a public IP address. In that case it is IMPOSIBLE to initiate an incoming connection to each individual GPRS subscriber.

Blackberry overcomes this by requiring a server at the operators premesis. This will sit on the GGSN and have access to the private address of each mobile (inside the 'nat' if you like). This is why you need operator asistance when you want to add blackberry service to your mobile. Your email is sent to this 'server' and it redirects it to your private address.

The microsoft way that's not the case:

Pros:

Anyone can use their own exchange server to use 'microsoft push email' regardless of your mobile operator. As long as you can make an outgoing conection to this exchange server it will work.

Cons:

The outgoing connection means you use up data bandwidth even when there's no email waiting for you.. its only a little better than the old pull scheme.

My opinion is that most average people won't have an exchange server of their own. They will probably rely on the operator to provide them with an email address which is pushed to their phone. They then forward their email(s) to this email address. So the 'Pros' column is wiped out there for the average user.

For corporates its another story. They will probably get bundled unlimited data packs, and will prefer this method because they don't need to cooperate with the networks to use their email. If this were used over VPN, corporate email would be completely secure end to end. With a VPN there would be its own heartbeat overhead anyway, so the 'cons' column doesnt affect them anyway.

Its obvious this push email is directed at corporates at the sacrifice of normal users. For the moment you're better off trying to use blackberry connect where you can, and hope the networks add better values data packs in response to this offering from Microsoft.

Guest creamhackered
Assuming that is the real creamhackered from neowin I would trust him. I hope I-Mate includes A2DP.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah i'm from Neowin.

I can't confirm whether it contains A2DP but I assume it will. It's due on the 27th or could be even earlier if they finalise testing etc. I think iMate's CEO said 23rd so I'd assume between 23rd and 27th.

Guest namiran

just so people know, the two roms on the qtek site are both the same, the only difference in the numbering is language/location difference...so dont go updating to german if your swedish cuz the only thing you will be doing is losing your swedish :)

another thing is in the mail from qtek.se they told me the update will come sometime in february, no date was given, and qtek are really not fast with roms from my experience so if the imate rom is up on the 23, or the 27, it may very well be that the mail i got was too optimistic and qteks rom will be out in march. but hopefully, im wrong =)

*tapp tapp tapp* Waiting for Push-Mail so that my colleagues at work finally can go fo## them self with that silly *BBB they are using to call with.

*BlackBerryBrick

Guest Woody_SP5
Well, the CEO promised the 23rd but that past 3 days ago. So we'll see what happens tomorrow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fingers crossed as I would loke A2DP as I have got the Motorola HT820 BT Headphones and would be nice to use the both together :shock:

“We are working on bringing new features and updates to your Windows Mobile device. The latest version due soon is the version required to get your email 'pushed' direct from the latest version of Exchange 2003. The new version will be available from mid March for existing devices and on all new devices from April.”

Quoted from here:

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windowsmobile/...ss/upgrade.mspx