USB Modem for Orange SPV.

Guest wideawake

Guest wideawake

It's me again. Banging on about a Bl**dy USB Modem driver.

Please, has anyone heard of a release (I have scoured the web in vain)

I would give my third leg to be able to browse the web, on my PC, using GPRS, connected via USB instead of frekin IrDa.

Help, I'm going mad.

i am interested to note your settings for the irda? i have managed to get irda connection to the phone and create a dialup session on my lappy but still keep ggetting the 2 minutes 21 second disconnection? cant seem to keep the connection open? what have you done to get round this wideawake?

tricky

tricky, this might help.

Go to Settings > Power Management and change Turn Off to None, then try it.

Turn Off seems to turn off all major power-consuming devices on the phone...

Guest wideawake

My settings are "never" on screen saver, so perhaps this does help.

I also found if I have nothing else running on PC (NO other applications) that it timed out less (it does still do it occasionally)

Tricky, when it times out do you get automatic reconnection? If you do not do you have to reboot your phone for it to work again? (I ask because I do) When you have finished browsing and disconnect if you then try to reconnect does it accept? (mine does not. I again Ihave to reboot)

Guest Treadsoftly

I've heard that after update, this USB modem functionality now works. Can someone post an idiots guide as to how they've managed to do this please?

I really want to use this!

Guest wideawake

I too would be VERY interested to know this (as I think would 50,000 other SPV users!)

!!!!!

I was under the impression that the modem driver was on the PC not the phone though, so would not know how an update could rectify?

I am probably being ignorant.

There is a thread in the ms public forum about it.

Guest jtsaint

Yes the usb modem does work after the update here is how:

Firstly open active sync and choose File -> Conncetion Properties and de-tick the USB box. This might not be necessary but it avoids Active Sync getting in the way.

Now take your phone off its cradle. Go To Programs -> Accessories and Model Link. Change Connection to USB amd the choose Menu (soft key) and activate. Now place the phone in the cradle.

Windows will display that it has found new hardware. Allow it to produce the Wizard Menu. Choose next and the choose specify location. Insert the CD that came with the phone. Choose next. It will ask you that you wish to continue etc just keep going untill you reach the end of the wizard.

Now you have the modem installed and can configure it.

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and Choose Phone and Modem options. Choose the HTC Usb Modem and choose Properties and Advanced. In the initialisation String box use:

+cgdcont=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0

Now create a new dial up connection. The phone number is *99# and ensure that the HTC Usb modem is ticked and none of the others.

Now simply dial up.

You can reenable active sync after installation. When u wish to use the phone as a usb modem. Remove it from the cradle and Activate the Mode Link and place it back in the cradle. Active sync wont start and instead you will be ib modem mode

Hope that helps

I use windows 2000 sp3

Guest wideawake

Fantastic I am so happy. (I think I will keep my third leg though)

Guess I just need to update now!!! Things are never easy.

Just upgraded my PC so I guess I should bite the bullet and update my phone.

Keeping up with technology........ It's a full time job.

Guest robinknight

Have I read this correctly - Do we have to have the DK update installed for this to work ?

Furthermore does using GPRS via USB modem give reasonable connection speed - I note from earlier posts that using GPRS via IR was giving very poor connection speeds - Can anyone comment ?

Guest jtsaint

The Danish update.

When the UK Update comes you will be able to use it. The only real advantage is the line of sight issue with IR.

There doesnt seem to be a speed difference but the connection is more reliable.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mike-oh

:cry: I still can't get it to work! When i go to modem in control panel, then properties i get a message saying that it can't open the properties 'cos the driver is corrupt! I've tried re-installing! Please help please :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

I've got the UK update and 98s/e

cheers

• 1 month later...
Guest Oddba11

Thanks jtsaint,

I've been trying to get it to work since November, Orange Technical keep peeing around seaying it can't be done! If only the idiots at Orange had read this.

Cheers again.

Working fine on Windows XP Profesional

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Spike
Yes the usb modem does work after the update here is how:

Firstly open active sync and choose File -> Conncetion Properties and de-tick the USB box.  This might not be necessary but it avoids Active Sync getting in the way.  

Now take your phone off its cradle. Go To Programs -> Accessories and Model Link.  Change Connection to USB amd the choose Menu (soft key) and activate. Now place the phone in the cradle.  

Windows will display that it has found new hardware. Allow it to produce the Wizard Menu. Choose next and the choose specify location. Insert the CD that came with the phone. Choose next. It will ask you that you wish to continue etc just keep going untill you reach the end of the wizard.

Now you have the modem installed and can configure it.

Go to Start -> Settings -> Control Panel and Choose Phone and Modem options. Choose the HTC Usb Modem and choose Properties and Advanced. In the initialisation String box use:  

+cgdcont=1,"IP","orangeinternet","",0,0

Now create a new dial up connection. The phone number is *99# and ensure that the HTC Usb modem is ticked and none of the others.

Now simply dial up.

You can reenable active sync after installation. When u wish to use the phone as a usb modem. Remove it from the cradle and Activate the Mode Link and place it back in the cradle. Active sync wont start and instead you will be ib modem mode

Hope that helps

I use windows 2000 sp3

This worked a treat, but I have one question. Does this use the GPRS which is 'free' or does it phone up something and cost me money per minute?

Guest martin

Two arrows is a GSM data call and you may have to check your tarrif for charges. The small G shows when you make a GPRS data call. For GSM you are charged for connection time and for GPRS you are charged for data throughput. Don't get caught out.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest sonec

:cry:

Has anyone managed to get the USB Modem working on Windows 98 yet... I have tried many times also and get the same message when trying to access the properties of the modem, that it is corrupt.

If anyone has,,please,please let me know as this would be great to have working.

Sonec