E-mail on the Prophet

Guest ddieter

Guest ddieter

Have two questions:

1) Can anyone tell me which free email accounts out there will allow you to access email on the Prophet using POP3. I tried to setup Yahoo, but it will not work for me. Maybe I'm using the wrong settings?

2) I've tried to connect to the yahoo site which is formated for pda http://wap.oa.yahoo.com but when I launch it, the Prophet tries to connect to it via GPRS instead of Wifi (which I already have connected). You can launch that same page on Explorer on your desktop computer, so I know it is available via the web. Is there anyway to force the Prophet to access this site with wifi instead of GPRS?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

D

Guest chucky.egg

I use GMail which works fine:

POP server: pop.gmail.com:995

SMTP server: my own SMTP

The Yahoo site is a WAP site, which may be why it always uses GRPS to connect to it. See if there's a PDA version as that will probably work with WiFi.

Guest ddieter

The weird thing about this site ( http://wap.oa.yahoo.com ) is that I can access it on my desktop PC via Internet Explorer. So why does the Prophet try to access it over GPRS? Is it because it recognises 'wap' in the title. Is there any setting you can change that will ignore that, and just access the site like any other website when connected to wifi?

Guest chucky.egg

I managed to connect to http://mobile.yahoo.com through WiFi

I dont know if there's a difference, but maybe that way will give you what you need

[edit]

No, scrub that. It just takes you to pages to get the WAP settings the long way round.

I recommend Google! :)

[/edit]

Edited by chucky.egg

Guest jimbouk

You can access your yahoo mail as a pop client on your prophet. If its not working then you have probably not changed your settings on yahoo.

You just need to log into your yahoo mail on the pc, then click "options" in the top right hand corner, then follow the instructions to set your yahoo account up to allow pop. Then set up a new account on your prophet, enter your yahoo email address and it will auto-populate the server addresses for you - leaving you to simply store your username and password in the account.

I can access hotmail, yahoo and orange over my prophet no problem.

Guest ddieter
You can access your yahoo mail as a pop client on your prophet. If its not working then you have probably not changed your settings on yahoo.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Jimbouk, that did the trick. I didn't know you had to make those setting on the web itself.

One weird note though. I have two yahoo accounts. One older one on yahoo.ca and a newer one on yahoo.com. For some reason, it will not allow me POP access on the yahoo.com account. It appears that you have to be a premium member (and thus have to pay) in order to get access.

Wonder it this is due to the different domain or the age of the account (only older accounts still have POP access, and new ones have to pay for it)?

Guest jimbouk
Thanks Jimbouk, that did the trick.  I didn't know you had to make those setting on the web itself.

One weird note though.  I have two yahoo accounts.  One older one on yahoo.ca and a newer one on yahoo.com.  For some reason, it will not allow me POP access on the yahoo.com account.  It appears that you have to be a premium member (and thus have to pay) in order to get access.

Wonder it this is due to the different domain or the age of the account (only older accounts still have POP access, and new ones have to pay for it)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Not sure. My yahoo account is a .co.uk one and is about a year old. If you log in to your .ca account, do you not get the same set-up options (eg allow pop)?

Guest ddieter

Well it seems I can download Yahoo mail no problem, but it won't allow me to send mail via my JAMin.

I've double checked the server info, and it set as the website says:

Incoming mail: pop.mail.yahoo.ca

Outgoing mail: smtp.mail.yahoo.ca

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

Guest shanedean
Well it seems I can download Yahoo mail no problem, but it won't allow me to send mail via my JAMin.

I've double checked the server info, and it set as the website says:

Incoming mail: pop.mail.yahoo.ca

Outgoing mail: smtp.mail.yahoo.ca

Any ideas what might be going wrong?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you have to set outgoing mail to whatever your service provider ( ie Orange, o2 etc) uses. For me it's something like smtp.orange.net or something like that... :?:

Hope that helps

Guest jimbouk
I think you have to set outgoing mail to whatever your service provider ( ie Orange, o2 etc) uses.  For me it's something like smtp.orange.net or something like that... :?:

Hope that helps

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You need to go back into the account settings on your device, then select "more options" and ensure that outgoing server requires authorisation (or something like that) is ticked. Then tick the box to say use same credentials as incoming.

That should sort it.

Guest ddieter

Well, I've created a new yahoo.co.uk account.

Once again, I can receive mail, but for some strange reason, cannot send. Very frustrating :x

Could the problem be with my ISP? I use Wanadoo.

Excuse my ignorance, but what does it mean when it says that some ISPs use their own smtp. How do I find this out?

Also, could it also be a problem with the port? It says to change it to 587 if experiencing problems. How do you do that in WM5?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers,

D

Guest netimpact
Have two questions:

1) Can anyone tell me which free email accounts out there will allow you to access email on the Prophet using POP3.  I tried to setup Yahoo, but it will not work for me.  Maybe I'm using the wrong settings?

2) I've tried to connect to the yahoo site which is formated for pda http://wap.oa.yahoo.com but when I launch it, the Prophet tries to connect to it via GPRS instead of Wifi (which I already have connected).  You can launch that same page on Explorer on your desktop computer, so I know it is available via the web.  Is there anyway to force the Prophet to access this site with wifi instead of GPRS?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers,

D

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I believe yahoo.com isn't free if you try to use smtp /pop services. try gmail it provides smtp services.