Spb Backup 1.0

Guest Disco Stu

Guest Disco Stu
Spb Backup is an application for creating reserve copies of data on your Pocket PC. It creates self-extracting compressed executables, thus making backup and restore processes very simple and intuitive. Backup scheduling supported.
post-4510-1141226440_thumb.gif post-4510-1141226452_thumb.gif

*  Scheduled backups

* Self-extracting executable backup files

* Full and custom backups

* Backup file compression

* Backup file encryption

* Desktop PC unpack tool

post-4510-1141226464_thumb.gif post-4510-1141226475_thumb.gif

Requirements:  Pocket PC 2002, Windows Mobile 2003 or Windows Mobile 5.0 device

Home page here

Price $19.95 / £11.37 / €16.70 / A$26.78 etc

Guest ddieter

Can anyone confirm whether this backs up contacts?

I notice you can select 'PIM Data (Tasks, Appointments)', but it doesn't specifically mention contacts.

I am really only interested in backing up contacts and appointments. Is there any software that will do this on pocket pc without the need of syncing with Outlook (which I am unable to do on my firm computer)?

Guest shadamehr

I take it this doesn't work on a SmartPhone - as the blurb says:

"Requirements: Pocket PC 2002, Windows Mobile 2003 or Windows Mobile 5.0 device"

Well, I HAVE a Windows Mobile 5.0 Device - an SP5. What that sentence is very unclear with, is whether it means "Pocket PC only WM5.0 device".

I ask, as I notice that Sprite have now CHANGED the note on their site about their own respective product in relation to WM5.0 availabilty to now read:

"Sprite Backup is only compatible with devices using Windows Mobile 2002 and 2003. Windows Mobile 2005 devices cannot use Sprite Backup. We will be releasing a new version that will be compatible with these devices in the near future. Please keep visiting this site for updates."

It originally said MARCH.

So does this new spb one work on an SP5 - and does it back up ALL settings, such as the registry and applications etc?

Guest shadamehr
Sprite seem to have two website. Go to http://www.spritesoftware.com/ and you'll find a WM5 version.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I f I visit the site you suggestion, the first option is to choose Pocket PC or SmartPhone.

Click the SmartPhone icon and you get a page, which the central section shows:

" Please note - Sprite Backup currently imcompatible with WM2005 devices

Currently, Sprite Backup is only compatible with devices using Windows Mobile 2002 and 2003. We will be releasing a new version compatible with WM2005 devices in the near future. Please keep visiting this site for updates."

So care to share the direct link to us, or what you clicked on to get it mate?

Guest bennish

I made some unsavoury comments about this software but have deleted them. On second go, it works perfectly on my WM5 Wizard.

Yes, it does restore Calendar items :)

It even restores text messages!!

5 stars! I think i shall buy it

Edited by bennish

Guest Sonicr360

Guys

Thought I would comment on this as coming from the Sprite Beta Testing for the WM5 version as well as SPB Backup!

I have an XDA EXEC and as we all know, lacks backup functionaility. I was lucky to get involved with the Sprite Backup test on Beta and found the product worked great as a backup, but found certain files did not get restored.

SPB Backup certainly runs on Windows 2005 devices.

SPB Backup I acquired last month and as before, destroyed my XDA OS. Again, as before, done a restore, and it was 100% successful (that is NOT to say the Sprite version is not successful, but when critical files are not restored back, you have to ask yourself why!)

Also, SPB Backup is CHEAPER! It backs up EVERYTHING. All you have to do is backup the Storage Card (music, files, ect).

I like it, would strongly recommend it as an essential piece of kit. Sprite is also VERY good, nothing wrong, but in my mind, seems to cost more :)

Plus it integrates with the SPB plug-in :-)

10/10 in my view!

Guest Phil Lee
I f I visit the site you suggestion, the first option is to choose Pocket PC or SmartPhone.

Click the SmartPhone icon and you get a page, which the central section shows:

" Please note - Sprite Backup currently imcompatible with WM2005 devices   

Currently, Sprite Backup is only compatible with devices using Windows Mobile 2002 and 2003. We will be releasing a new version compatible with WM2005 devices in the near future. Please keep visiting this site for updates."

So care to share the direct link to us, or what you clicked on to get it mate?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Sorry I guess I speed read your post. I was looking at the PocketPC part of the site :oops:

Guest pookiecheeks

hello all,

er... sorry, i'm not sure why i would need this software ? i have orange backup and active sync. why then would i need this ? i'm not trying to 'poo-poo' this software cos i'd receive 20% off as i've already purchased other spb titles. i'm just trying to understand how i could make use of this. sorry, computers be they pocket or not kinda get me confused at times.

pookiecheeks

Guest Sonicr360

pookiecheeks

But if you have Windows Mobile 5 device which has no backup facility what so ever built in (and you own a pocket PC variation of it too), then you WILL need a backup solution!

Hence, why I beta tested the product

Guest nickcornaglia

It backs up EVERYTHING. Orange just backs up PIM apps, (Calendar, Contacts, Tasks) but this backs up installed apps, settings, data, etc.

Does SPB back up registry settings as well?

Guest Sonicr360

Yes, everything apart from what is on an SD card is backed up!

I like the fact you can also backup onto the Network too (cool for me!)

I also destroyed most of the windows directory and was able to get in, although unable to do much, apart from restore the system (which is what you want to do!)

SPB have also introduced a SAFE MODE into their new Plug-in pack ;) Works extremely well with the backup tool!

As stated, Sprite is a good tool, no doubt, but I was not happy that files were being skipped.

SPB does it all - with no complaints and can be scheduled to work around you!

Plus, it was more cost effective!

Each to their own... if you want to rely on Mr Orange backing up your data, then PLEASE go ahead and keep it!

Just do not come back hear moaning if you have a major problem ;)

Guest fraser

Backup to network you say? This is a feature of Sprite I like. How does it work? Do you install a server on a PC, or does it use a windows file share or something?

Guest Sonicr360

Well I have a Network, so I have a share dedicated for my backups.

Nothing of course stopping you placing the image backup on a PC I guess :-) (drag and drop via active sync if you want)

Guest shadamehr

When are we gonna see a SMARTPHONE version of either of these things for WM5.0 - come on guys, get your act together - the ROM updates for Push Email are coming out around now.

Rest assured, I sure as hell ain't gonna buy either of these products, a week or two AFTER I have just wiped everything on my phone by doing a ROM update.

These companies are SERIOUSLY going to miss the boat here at this rate!

Guest fraser

So it dumps onto a Windows network share? Not an option for me I'm afraid, the PPC can't hop subnets in Windows file sharing, and my WiFi is on a dedicated (locked down) network.

I suppose I could write something to automatically FTP it home, but that's kinda crappy. Sprite has a little server that sits in the sys tray that the backup uploads directly to.

Guest Sonicr360

Fraser

Well store it on the SD card, then when you get home, copy it to a PC or share - odd you cannot connect to a share on a Network though!

WM5 Smartphone version..... too early to tell..... watch this space! For now.... dont you wish you got a PPC WM5 ;)

Guest shadamehr
Fraser

Well store it on the SD card, then when you get home, copy it to a PC or share - odd you cannot connect to a share on a Network though!

WM5 Smartphone version..... too early to tell..... watch this space! For now.... dont you wish you got a PPC WM5  ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nope - had one, was too big, and as I do loads of texting on the sly while at work, a Pocket PC is an outright none-starter for me.

And if it's too early to say, then that makes my post before all the more relevant...

Would YOU pay money to buy a product, who's worth was needed the week previous, but it was not available then, and now that it is available a single week too late, its worth will likely not be needed for a long time to come.

Aside from the day to day use of a Backup app like this, for data protection, the very reason Sprite developed it in its current guise (survives cross rom restores), was for restores after ROM updates.

And given that the WM5.0 platform is currently just about to see its biggest ever ROM refresh since its launch, wouldn't you think sprite and spb would have had a version out for that very reason - it seems quite hilarious that they are going to miss the boat when it is set to sail with a free ticket for first class, and all the trimmings included...

Guest Sonicr360

LOL its not big!! And do what I do ... text on your desk... why be sly??? Bit bizarre if you ask me LOL

I suspect at the time, they would not have been aware that a ROM upgrade was going to be released..... dont you recall when the MSN Messenger got an update from Microsoft.... and all orange users were STUCK for weeks without the use of that application due to the ROM not having a security feature installed???

SPB Backup is scheduled to backup each evening - I certainly do not use it just for a ROM upgrade, but just for the fact its available to do, and its so fast! by the time its done, the kettle has just almost boiled!

Just because a company decide to update a ROM/patch, does not mean that 3rd party developers have to produce a backup solution for that very reason. Maybe the market feels that PPC WM5 is more in use than Smartphones? Remember its a world wide product OS, not just platform specific.

As I said, watch this space.... btw, not that I am sure it would work, did you happen to try the trial SPB Backup and see if it would install?

Guest shadamehr
LOL its not big!! And do what I do ... text on your desk... why be sly??? Bit bizarre if you ask me LOL

I suspect at the time, they would not have been aware that a ROM upgrade was going to be released..... dont you recall when the MSN Messenger got an update from Microsoft.... and all orange users were STUCK for weeks without the use of that application due to the ROM not having a security feature installed???

SPB Backup is scheduled to backup each evening - I certainly do not use it just for a ROM upgrade, but just for the fact its available to do, and its so fast! by the time its done, the kettle has just almost boiled!

Just because a company decide to update a ROM/patch, does not mean that 3rd party developers have to produce a backup solution for that very reason. Maybe the market feels that PPC WM5 is more in use than Smartphones? Remember its a world wide product OS, not just platform specific.

As I said, watch this space.... btw, not that I am sure it would work, did you happen to try the trial SPB Backup and see if it would install?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

1 - I don't work at a desk - I work as Bouncer on a Club Door, that has me CCTV'd to hell - Pocket PC - not a cat in hell's chance - I need a phone KEYBOARD so I can reply on the sly, with it half in my pocket, and a feel for where the keys are. So not bizarre at all, just presumptious as to what I meant *lol*

2 - If sprite and spb didn't know that this major ROM upgrade to every and all Windows Mobile 5.0 device was coming out the beginning of March, then they are likely the only people in the world that didn't mate, as this has been common knowledge for ages.

3 - Just because Microsoft release a patch does indeed not OBLIGATE spb and sprite to release a WM5.0 version for SmartPhones. Nor do I ever recall saying they were. I DO recall saying however that UNLESS they did so in time, they may well lose out on a CONSIDERABLE amount of sales, and on that basis, missing the boat by a week when it comes with free first class upgrade tickets, and all inclusive rooms as it were, is bizarre in the extreme for a company like spb or sprite.

I trust that clarifies it all nicely.

Guest Sonicr360

1. Snap!

2. Sprite was in Beta way back in the beginning of december - plans for the product was a few months before the 1st WM5 device came on marked in US - SPB is the 2nd product to come out for WM5, again rougly the same time Sprite announced their "planned version" - I would point it was delayed due to lack of feedback, and iron out bugs / marketing. But its here now - Just not on Smartphone. But as I keep saying (to clarify!) watch this space....

3. I doubt sales would have dropped to be honest. Its still very much early days for WM5...... and just think in 12 months we will soon be hearing and seeing an EVEN better Windows OS for Pocket PC/Smartphones.

I had my first WM5 device months ago, and when trying to get my IPAQ Pocket PC apps onto the device, was amazed how many would NOT run. Most notable was the loss of backup features - hence why I got involved in the Beta!

But over the past few months, more and more products are coming out and being compatible with WM5 (similar problems I haved faced with my old HP WinCE device and getting apps on my Ipaq.

And as mentioned above, in approx 12-15 months time, a new OS will be introduced for PPC and Smartphone... we may be having the same sort of conversations again ;)

Nice image under your name BTW !

Guest Sonicr360

Just to add to my last reply - Sorry guys but According to Tech Support at Sprite, you are NOT going to be seeing this product soon....

My best guess is (based on what I have read) a few months at least. Quite funny really, seeing as M$ wanted WM5 to be a base platform, yet there still appear to be differences in terms of hardware layers OS.

As for ROM upgrades, treat it as a clean ROM upgrade! I have not upgraded my ROM (only because its a minor update) but just like the old Smartphones, you treat a ROM upgrade as "erasing" all contents on the phone (excluding SD card).

You will have to hope it does not go pearshaped (although it should run ok).

Probably not the best news around.... although if you are a pocket PC user, you have nothing to worry about.

Fingers crossed people who produce these apps "may" bring out a miracle!!!!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.