AKU2 Update for Qtek 8300/8310 at end of April?

Guest PeterG

Guest PeterG

I came across the following text on qtek.no:

AKU2 Software Release

Qtek vil levere den nye software pakken til Windows Mobile 5.0, kjent som AKU 2, eller "Messaging and Security Feature Pack" etter følgende plan:

NB! AKU2 Software release for Qtek 9100 med Microsoft Messaging and Security Feature Pack er nå klar for nedlasting under "myQtek - medlemsområde".

Qtek 8300 / 8310 Slutten av april

9000 Slutten av mars

S200 Leveres med AKU2 fra første leveranse

http://www.qtek.no/norway/nyheter.aspx

Now, I don’t speak or understand Norweigen, but I would have to guess that it says that the AKU2 update for the Qtek 8300/8310 will be available in April.

To go one step further, “slutten” roughly translates into “end”. Therefore I would translate the above into “End of April”.

Although, someone who can read Norweigen may want to confirm.

Edited by PeterG

Guest olefra

You have guessed right, roughly translated to english :

Qtek will deliver the new software pack to wm5/aku 2 .......after the following plan

Qtek 8300/8310 end of april

9000 end of march

S200 will be delivered with AKU2

I came across the following text on qtek.no:

AKU2 Software Release

Qtek vil levere den nye software pakken til Windows Mobile 5.0, kjent som AKU 2, eller "Messaging and Security Feature Pack" etter følgende plan:

NB! AKU2 Software release for Qtek 9100 med Microsoft Messaging and Security Feature Pack er nå klar for nedlasting under "myQtek - medlemsområde".

Qtek 8300 / 8310    Slutten av april

9000    Slutten av mars

S200 Leveres med AKU2 fra første leveranse

http://www.qtek.no/norway/nyheter.aspx

Now, I don’t speak or understand Norweigen, but I would have to guess that it says that the AKU2 update for the Qtek 8300/8310 will be available in April.

To go one step further, “slutten” roughly translates into “end”. Therefore I would translate the above into “End of April”.

Although, someone who can read Norweigen may want to confirm.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Guest eelco_akker
oh wait, that was i-mate... sorry ;)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Qtek Netherlands stated they deliver AKU2 in march @ the dutch forum

Eelco

Guest dm.wood

So based on this information I am assuming this will incorporate the Microsoft Update to WM5 that will allow us to use "Push Email" technology in conjunction with an Exchange 2003 SP2 server?

Guest nastassja

hopefully they will also include other improvements, i found a lot of things that could be improved :/

it would rock if microsoft delivers the SE of WM5, and then imate and qtek launch a new rom with the SE.

Guest thenext1

Well i'm getting tired... i wonder why they don't let the rom out, what are the problems, I read reviews in february of HTC Tornado devices that already had the AKU 2 incl. bluetooth update on, and they said it performed very well on their Stereo bluetooth...

A forum user had an engineering rom installed with no apparent problems...

So WHY this delay?

In the middle of april and It won't even have the updatet bluetooth A2DP.... arghhhhhhhhh!!...............

Guest Ingvarr
So WHY this delay?

Well, in blunt truth - you've bought the phone already, and you paid the money already. They won't get additional revenue from updates, so they not very motivated with it. Yeah, they would do "support", but as sloppy as they could afford without losing much face - again, their interest is to make you to buy new devices, they are hardware seller, not a software company.

This just another demonstration of the flaw of principle of current mobile devices OS/hardware model. When you pay only for OS as a part of a hardware, OS development will not be properly stimulated. It much better for desktops, only because of their open architecture.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest thenext1
They won't get additional revenue from updates, so they not very motivated with it

every phone maker releases updates at least to address existing problems, and not to add features that they might move to upcominh phones to attract customers....

Guest Ingvarr

Yeah, but they would disagree with you on the definition of "problem". You insist "its problem", they insist its "a feature of this model, want it other way - buy a new model" ;) And they will always have a final word.

You dont have much choice here, its an universal practice. So unless somebody from phone makers will truly break the habit, status quo will remain.

The main problem is that they dont have direct financial motivation to develop new software, as for example true software-selling companies do. And indirect motivation creates the current sloppy state of things.

Edited by Ingvarr

Guest thenext1

Ja ja i know but i hope they'll finally do it.

They're usually complying with microsoft specifications, so if microsoft releases aku 2.2 for WM 2005, I think they'll finally release an update, soon or later.

They've also got a reputation to defend. If they ship all their phones with miriads of bugs, customers will soon stop buying their devices and move to another brand.

If Nokia didn't care a little about customer support, I think no-one would be buying their recent ones (N70, 6680, N90, etc) because their launch ROM had been REALLY broken, lots of bugs.

And nokia requires to go to their customer service to update the phone and If you've got an import one, which is not a remote chance, they willingly put the wrong language in the phone update and ask for money if you want your native language on.

This all happens in italy and has been thoroughly discussed in forums.

Edited by thenext1

Guest Ingvarr

They will do it. But not in hurry and sloppy as usual ;)

And you are wrong that people are buying Nokia phones becase support and junk. People buy Nokia because "its Nokia" ;)

Guest thenext1
People buy Nokia because "its Nokia"

ja i knew this, this is one of the grand truths governing the universe ;)

And I'm wrong too, saying that people would stop buying nokia if the ROM was so bugged because it is, and people, at least in italy, could donate blood to get a Nokia instead of a Motorola. (even if they pay 2x the price for 1/2 the features.....)

Guest gilesjuk
They won't get additional revenue from updates, so they not very motivated with it.

That's true for existing customers, but I know when I was choosing between QTek and iMate most people said go with iMate as their support is better.

Guest Ingvarr

Yeah, but remember, both hardware & software done by HTC, so there is not much "competition" there ;)

QTek and iMate is just two shops of HTC. But if HTC won't do an update, iMate won't help you, as all they do is only put some specific apps in and place it on their FTP ;)