Installing apps on SD card

Guest xizor

Guest xizor

Hey - I'm a newbie here and have a question.

One of the main apps that I have for the Jamin is MS Voice Command - can this be loaded on the SD card and work no problem?

Is there any restrictions on what is loaded on the SD card vs. in the device itself?

TIA,

Tim

Guest chucky.egg

I think Voice Command probably could be loaded onto the SD card, but as it's huge and SD card access is relatively slow I would suggest it's not a good idea - your JAMmin should have loads of internal storage space left anyway.

As a general rule anything that gets loaded at startup I put on the phone, as the SD card can be slower to start.

On my Prophet I have everything loaded on the phone and still have 25Mb+ of internal storage left.

Guest xizor
I think Voice Command probably could be loaded onto the SD card, but as it's huge and SD card access is relatively slow I would suggest it's not a good idea - your JAMmin should have loads of internal storage space left anyway.

As a general rule anything that gets loaded at startup I put on the phone, as the SD card can be slower to start.

On my Prophet I have everything loaded on the phone and still have 25Mb+ of internal storage left.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the reply!

Regards,

Tim

Guest nickcornaglia

Voice Command can only be loaded on the phone as far as I know. The installation doesn't let you install to anything other than main memory. If there WAS a workaround for it, I doubt it would work all that well.

Other than that....install EVERYTHING to the SD card except....

...Today Screen plugins.

...Apps that gather data from the internet like Weather or News.

(These are recommendations not hard-fast rules). You'll have better results.

PS.

Be patient when asking questions. Someone will eventually respond. Unless it was a question that was asked a ZILLION times before in which case, searching the forums always help ALOT! Enjoy your phone.

And know you have come to the right place for all things WindowsMobile. Whether you are in the UK, Canada, or anywhere else in the world. ;)

Guest chucky.egg
....install EVERYTHING to the SD card

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard other people say that, but I don't think it applies any more.

My Dopod will work just the same without the sd card in it (well, almost... no mp3s and no Code Wallets) so if needed I can put the card in my PC/camera/printer and the phone is unaffected.

WM5 devices like ours have more internal memory, so what's the benefit in using the SD and 'wasting' that internal space? Or do you use the internal for something else?

Guest nickcornaglia

Internal space is reserved for running programs. Agreed that today's devices have more space on them. But that space is used up quickly when streaming video to your phone, running many apps at once. Don't forget that the same memory used for storing programs and data on the phone is used for running the applications.

My PC hard-drive was running down to storage space this past month. Everything was running SLOW because there was no virtual memory left to run applications. When I moved all of my data files over to an external hard-drive....everything ran smoothly and quickly again. Same principal.

Guest chucky.egg
Don't forget that the same memory used for storing programs and data on the phone is used for running the applications.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Forgive me if I've got this all wrong, but I believed that Storage and Program memory were entirely seperate in WM5

My Dopod reports 22Mb of Program, and 25Mb of Storage after a Reset.

Using the device (and having apps open) reduces the Program figure to around 17Mb by the end of the day, but the Storage figure never changes (or if it does then it changes by less than 1/10th of a Mb, as the change is not shown by PocketPlus indicators)

Have I misunderstood this?

Guest nickcornaglia
Forgive me if I've got this all wrong, but I believed that Storage and Program memory were entirely seperate in WM5

My Dopod reports 22Mb of Program, and 25Mb of Storage after a Reset. 

Using the device (and having apps open) reduces the Program figure to around 17Mb by the end of the day, but the Storage figure never changes (or if it does then it changes by less than 1/10th of a Mb, as the change is not shown by PocketPlus indicators)

Have I misunderstood this?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't know. I was under the impression it was the other way around. Allocated areas for each on older OS. Combined/Dynamic in WM5. I could be wrong.

Guest chucky.egg

I just found this on Jason Langridge's blog whilst looking for something else:

Program Memory/Storage Memory in Windows Mobile 5.0

One of our partners asked me yesterday - In Windows Mobile 2003 you had the slider bar to select how much memory was Program Memory and how much was Storage Memory... Can you do that in Windows Mobile 5.0?

Unfortunately you can't change it anymore. The reason you could in the past was that both the storage and the program memory were in RAM.  The slider was just partitioning the RAM between those two places.

Now they are in different physical media. Storage is in Flash ROM and Program Memory is in RAM. There's no good way to use ROM as RAM, so there's no longer a way to change the partitioning on the fly.

Jason's Blog post

So, assuming I've understood that correctly (big assumption ;) ), WM2003 has dynamic memory allocation, and WM5 has static... I think

Edited by chucky.egg