AvantGo client for Smartphones

Guest Disco Stu

Guest Disco Stu

I know a lot of you will be excited about this but it's the first time I've taken a look. There is a decent range of UK sites to download to your phone including BBC, ITV, Guardian, & Times news along with various sports, technology, travel etc categories.

Pocket PC users will also be familiar with this excellent service although Smartphone users will not have the ActiveSync functionality.

The service is basically funded by advertising so you get 2MB of content free ! ;)

A free mobile content service for smartphones and PDAs

Synchronize mobile versions (called "channels") of your favorite websites to your smartphone or PDA. AvantGo offers thousands of channels from the world's leading brands in news, weather, sports and more. You can also use AvantGo to sync any website (family site, workout schedule, etc.) to your device.

AVANTGO WEBSITE HERE

Credit to MoDaCo member billingeuk & MSmobiles news item here

Guest Disco Stu

Gnu maybe... ;)

I was impressed with the UK news pages I got this morning but less so with the football, though even that was better than Cricinfo's efforts.

Care to recommend some good channels ?

Guest nickcornaglia

Is this service even relevant anymore? With RSS News readers available on almost EVERY device...even my PSP....why would I still need Avantgo?

Some would argue that they dont have unlimited data on their phones. But you can sync RSS feeds via pass-thru connections as well.

And with RSS you're not limited to only AVANTGO channels?

Am I missing something?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest billingeuk
Seems to be okay for me  :?:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've been running Avantgo on my C550 since the Beta launched, but when I upgraded my memory card from 512mb tro 1gb it stopped working.

Anyone else had problems with 1gb of memory in their smartphone?

The software appeared to work until I tried to Sync All, then it would go through the update and time out, and ask me to log back in on the smartphone. Most annoying, I was likeing the software loads, but don';t want to go back to my 512 card.

thanks

BillingeUK

Guest Grayum
I've been running Avantgo on my C550 since the Beta launched, but when I upgraded my memory card from 512mb tro 1gb it stopped working.

Anyone else had problems with 1gb of memory in their smartphone?

The software appeared to work until I tried to Sync All, then it would go through the update and time out, and ask me to log back in on the smartphone.  Most annoying, I was likeing the software loads, but don';t want to go back to my 512 card.

thanks

BillingeUK

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I haven't managed to get it to sync at all yet on my C550. I've had an account for ages and never had any real problems with it on my palm. On my C550 it almost finishes syncing and then says the connection has dropped with the server and asks for me to log in again. Have tried cache clearing etc.

Sounds like the same problem, I too have a 1Gb card (Orange music bundle). I'd love to be able to get it to work.

Guest billingeuk
I haven't managed to get it to sync at all yet on my C550. I've had an account for ages and never had any real problems with it on my
Edited by billingeuk

Guest Disco Stu

I'm using a 2GB mini-SD and the sync is working fine.

At least it is now.

I was having trouble with the sync not completing and then getting stuck in a loop of logging-in / partial-resyncing. AvantGo suggested I remove a channel or 2 and this cleared the problem.

I don't think I've ever sync'ed via GPRS, only through pass-through.

Guest billingeuk
I'm using a 2GB mini-SD and the sync is working fine.

At least it is now.

I was having trouble with the sync not completing and then getting stuck in a loop of logging-in / partial-resyncing. AvantGo suggested I remove a channel or 2 and this cleared the problem.

I don't think I've ever sync'ed via GPRS, only through pass-through.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I tried removing channels, got down to just one channel, still would not complete the sync.

How many channels do you have? I had upto 6. Is that too many?

I've not sync via GPRS only pass-through (USB or Bluetooth).

I even tried uninstalling the whole program and reinstalling. Still no joy.

I was very tempted to get a 2gb card, but decided on the 1gb. Still got over 600mb free though, so could go back to the 512 without any major loss.

Edited by billingeuk

Guest Disco Stu

I have 8 channels now after deleting 2 last week, so I'd say that is not causing your problem. Unless the one channel you didn't remove is corrupted of course !

The 'log-in cycle' error is featured in AvantGo's FAQs and the response suggests you go through the process of resetting your password in a particular way to force a fresh initial sync. Or something like that...follow the instructions on the website.... ;)

Guest Nicnatros
I haven't managed to get it to sync at all yet on my C550. I've had an account for ages and never had any real problems with it on my  palm. On my C550 it almost finishes syncing and then says the connection has dropped with the server and asks for me to log in again.  Have tried cache clearing etc.

Sounds like the same problem, I too have a 1Gb card (Orange music bundle). I'd love to be able to get it to work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have a 1gb card in my Cingular 2125 and just installed avantgo yesterday, works great... except for the cursor selection is a little buggy. Although right after installing I did have a connection issue which is reported as a common problem in their support pages. Just had to soft reset device then it synched perfectly.

Guest Grayum

Actually, I made a mistake. I've got a 512Mb card (came with the bundle). Still can't get the darn thing to sync though. I've been perservering 'cos I like Avantgo. I even opened a brand new Account and although I did briefly see the familiar Avantgo homepage, it was shortlived because it almost immediately returned to the "error 5463" i.e. connection dropped.

I've paired my subs back to two channels.

I have also jumped through Avantgo's support hoops to submit feedback, but with no reply.

Anyone finds a solution I'd love to hear it. Billingeuk?

Edited by Grayum

• 1 month later...
Guest agent.m
Actually, I made a mistake. I've got a 512Mb card (came with the bundle). Still can't get the darn thing to sync though. I've been perservering 'cos I like Avantgo. I even opened a brand new Account and although I did briefly see the familiar Avantgo homepage, it was shortlived because it almost immediately returned to the "error 5463" i.e. connection dropped.

I've paired my subs back to two channels.

I have also jumped through Avantgo's support hoops to submit feedback, but with no reply.

Anyone finds a solution I'd love to hear it. Billingeuk?

having the same problem

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.