WAR IN IRAN

Guest fraser

Guest genaldar
One thing that definitely doesn't help the cause is comments like this:

That seems to fly in the face of the US democracy ideal, why should the US nominate it's self as lord and protector and hand out slaps if people get out of line, is that not similiar to a dictatorship? Why qualifies the US or any other country as an enforcer.

The problem is the US and other major countries are in a catch 22. If we use the military for anything its seen as an act of agression, and people become angry. But if we sit back and do nothing it's seen as not living up to our responsibilities, and people become angry. Look at Darfur, how many calls to action have there been, but if we did anything people would call us imperialists. Hell I'm surprised Neo-Nazis don't claim it was our imperialism that cost the "third reich" Europe. Countries not known for their military might could enforce international peace, but they generally have small standing armies. Which is why their involvement in international peace keeping isn't seen as imperialism. Which is a whole different catch 22 ;).

Guest Rob.P

Aye, I completely agree, damned if you do, damned if you don't.

I must admit nowadays (this will sound so uncaring) I'm more inclined to be damned if you don't. I used to volunteer as a drugs councillor and occasionally there was a type of person that was self destructive and there wasn't any angle you could give them that would persuade them that there was another way of doing things. Occasionally it would be a case of resigning to the fact that you just have to leave them to it and be ready to pick up the pieces afterwards (if there was any).

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fraser
america can't afford a war with iran financially, politically, morally or militarily.

The war starts Friday 6th April from what I'm hearing, starting with a load of airstrikes. The carriers have been moving into position for months. This "hostage" (aka enemy combatant) thing is very conveniently timed. Iranian news is reporting US planes entering their airspace already, probably checking out the reactions and readiness of the ground crews.

Guest Disco Stu

So why hasn't the media picked up on this ? You can't move aircraft carriers into offensive positions without anyone noticing. Surely the Iranians would be raising a stink about it, not to mention the Russians & other friendly countries ?

If you want to understand why the British are so unpopular in Iran you should read this article in the Guardian :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,2046290,00.html

The seizure of 15 British sailors by Iran is only the latest incident in a long and troubled history between the two countries. As Robert Tait reports from Tehran, most Iranians see Britain as an old colonial power that's still meddling in their affairs

Guest fraser
So why hasn't the media picked up on this ? You can't move aircraft carriers into offensive positions without anyone noticing. Surely the Iranians would be raising a stink about it, not to mention the Russians & other friendly countries ?

Yup, they have reported it, just not on regular news. Google search first hit

From the first link, dated 17 Jan 2007:

A second Navy carrier group is steaming toward the Persian Gulf, and NEWSWEEK has learned that a third carrier will likely follow. Iran shot off a few missiles in those same tense waters last week, in a highly publicized test. With Americans and Iranians jousting on the chaotic battleground of Iraq, the chances of a small incident’s spiraling into a crisis are higher than they’ve been in years.

If you want to understand why the British are so unpopular in Iran you should read this article in the Guardian :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,2046290,00.html

We are unpopular as we do still meddle in the region. We, with the assistance of the CIA, have overthrown the Iranian government in the past when it has suited out interests.

Nothing here surprises me. The Project for the New American Century, comprising of people such as Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, and Paul Wolfowitz have always been vocal on their plans for the region. See this page for their official publications, where they talk of a Pearl Harbour event leading to an extended campaign in the middle east.

Guest Disco Stu

Found the carrier movement reported in a mainstream media report :

British ships are working with a US naval force that has recently expanded with the arrival of a second aircraft carrier battle group, led by USS Stennis. The ships are engaged in routine patrols, and the west has naval forces in the area as a matter of course to ensure the safe passage of oil tankers.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,20...rticle_continue

I didn't find anything to suggest an airstrike is imminent though..

Guest fraser
Found the carrier movement reported in a mainstream media report :

http://www.guardian.co.uk/iran/story/0,,20...rticle_continue

I didn't find anything to suggest an airstrike is imminent though..

The rumour is that US assets in the area have been instructed to leave. The Russians are the ones leaking it to the press, but no one is picking up on it. This Friday coming sounds likely to me; the weekend is ideal for political reasons and it needs to be this week if they are to capitalize on the "hostage" crisis. By the way, the word there was that they were a special forces reconnaissance team, not "sailors" as is being reported. There has been the odd report of incursions into Iran over the past few years. This story has just broken two minutes ago as we now find more of the backstory behind this incursion into Iranian waters. Apparently we kidnapped five Iranian officials recently. Why do I believe the Iranians over the Brits on where they were? Because we've consistently lied about everything in Iraq. Just last week a US official was claiming it was safe to walk the streets in Baghdad. Out of shot where four apache helicopters, several tanks and over 100 troops.

C'mon guys, I was right on Iraq being a monumental mistake, stay with me on this one and get in on the ground floor! ;)

Guest fraser

Fingers crossed that nothing happens. Iran is a completely different situation than Iraq was prior to our invasion; they actually have a functioning military.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest nickcornaglia

Well...the 6th has come and gone...WHEW! Guess all of the worries about American warships in the area were for nothing. (Small note...there are a couple of "wars" going on over there. Those ships are there for other reasons. And warplanes dont need to take off from the shores to bomb Iran....they can do that from hundred of miles away...tho taking off from a closer startpoint would be to their advantage, not to mention more of a surprise).

Anyway....

Funny thing about Iran....Based on an article I read in TIME magazine, and other things I've read and seen on TV....

..I am amazed at how culturally westernized the people there are. Dress, music, movies, etc. Not a bunch of crazies running around wrapped from head to toe, burning American flags and calling for the infidels to burn in hell.

I may be ignorant...but I think the average Iranian doesnt have any animosity against Americans just like I personally have none against them. Their government is a bit whacky....but who's isnt!?