M600 push e-mail

Guest Chiz

Guest Chiz

I set up a mail2web account and set my M600 up to receive push e-mail from the account. It worked fine to begin with.

Now when I go to Communication Manager and activate the push inbox, nothing happens even if I know e-mails have been sent to the account (forwarded from Gmail).

I then disable the push inbox guessing that it is not going to work. Later on at some random time, the e-mails start to arrive.

Does anyone know why this may be?

Does anyone know a better way to achieve push e-mails on an M600?

Would updating to the Imate rom help?

Thanks

Chiz

Edited by Chiz

Guest jimbouk

When you activate the direct push it doesn't be default start a sync. It sets up the heartbeat connection with the server. I don't know how well that mail server service works but would expect at least a few minutes lag.

If you want to check your mail asap, just go to activesync and hit sync. That will force an immediate sync.

Guest Stabilo

chiz I think my M600 does the same. I have a wizard which works very well with pushmail. Only difference is that the wizard has the decent I-mate rom.

I will continue to monitor & upgrade the M600 rom if it continues to perform badly.

Guest Stabilo
I set up a mail2web account and set my M600 up to receive push e-mail from the account. It worked fine to begin with.

Now when I go to Communication Manager and activate the push inbox, nothing happens even if I know e-mails have been sent to the account (forwarded from Gmail).

I then disable the push inbox guessing that it is not going to work. Later on at some random time, the e-mails start to arrive.

Does anyone know why this may be?

Does anyone know a better way to achieve push e-mails on an M600?

Would updating to the Imate rom help?

Thanks

Chiz

Chiz, after further observations today I think the M600 pushmail performs about the same as the I-mate ROM in the Wizard.

Have you set up the 'schedule' in ActiveSync on the M600 to 'As items arrive' or is it set to every 5 minutes or so?

My problems with the pushmail are:

1) In the office and at home I use 802.11g and GPRS. Pushmail needs GPRS but 802.11g appears to disable GPRS from time to time. Today I have disabled 802.11g and the pushmail has perfomed ok.

2) GPRS does not stay connected. On mains power it performs better but still disconnects randomly. I did have a 9 hour connection through the night over the weekend but normally it disconnects after about 30 minutes. I have pushmail, Newsbreak and SBSH PocketWeather all using GPRS so it shouldn't be disconnecting. I have tried a utility called GPRS Keep Alive but that didn't help. The web site Keep Alive doesn't work either.

Guest Chiz

Excellent, thanks again.

Looking at the schedule it was set to manual, so I don't know how I was receiving things.

I will have a play with this and see if it improves.

I will then see what data charges I get stung for on my first bill.

Thanks

Chiz

Guest joepubli
Excellent, thanks again.

Looking at the schedule it was set to manual, so I don't know how I was receiving things.

I will have a play with this and see if it improves.

I will then see what data charges I get stung for on my first bill.

Thanks

Chiz

Same here. But I don't have the "as items arrive option" only 5 minutes, 10 minutes etc. Also when I slelect the Direct Push in the Comms Manager it resets the activesync to manual.

I have to sync to get the mail. Any help apprciated!

Guest jimbouk

Unless the M600 rom is bugged - pushing the directpush icon in comm mgr to turn it ON sets both peak and off peak to "as items arrive", pushing it again to turn it OFF sets them both to manual.

Agian the M600 rom may have been tweaked against the imate Jamin AKU2 rom - but it is a known issue with imates that directpush actually sometimes forces web etc over GPRS even if wifi is on (ie the opposite of the poster above's issue).

I have mine set to "as items arrive" for peak - 8am to 11pm and "manual" for off peak 11pm to 8am. This works for me as I usually check my emails on my laptop at 7.30 each morning anyway - and USB activesync the overnight emails into my JAMin then. This helps with data throughput.

Guest Chiz

Sorry to bring this one back up.

I leave my M600 Actviesync settings on manual for scheduling.

I was under the impression that if I wanted the push to work I could activate it in Comms Manager and then turn it off once the e-mails are received.

Every so often (when on manual) the PPC automatically syncs and retrieves my e-mails. All those since the last sync I think.

Does anyone know a way of controlling it so you only recieve push e-mails when you want them and not all the time or at random times?

I am using mail2web.

Thanks

Chiz

Guest Stabilo
Sorry to bring this one back up.

I leave my M600 Actviesync settings on manual for scheduling.

I was under the impression that if I wanted the push to work I could activate it in Comms Manager and then turn it off once the e-mails are received.

Every so often (when on manual) the PPC automatically syncs and retrieves my e-mails. All those since the last sync I think.

Does anyone know a way of controlling it so you only recieve push e-mails when you want them and not all the time or at random times?

I am using mail2web.

Thanks

Chiz

Looks like there could be a bug. My M600 normally runs with pushmail receiving mail 'as it arrives' but I changed ActiveSync to manual for testing purposes. Few minutes later mail arrived. I haven't tried it via Comm Manager yet (pushmail on/off). I will let you know how I get on with Comm Manager.

I seem to remember that the Wizard I have (I-mate ROM) also collects mail when set to manual receive so I don't think the bug is specific to the M600.

Ways to fix (obtain mail only when requested) are:

Set the wrong password in GPRS settings or set to connect only via (disabled) WiFi. Reverse the settings when you do want to collect. Not ideal but if you pay per MB for GPRS it may be worth the hassle.

Update:

If you switch off pushmail AND data services in Comm Manager it appears to stop incoming mail. Please note though after EACH maual send / receive you will need to switch off data services in Comm Manager.

Edited by Stabilo

Guest Chiz

Thanks for giving this so much time.

Much appreciated.

I always have pushmail and data services off. This is when the mail still arrives.

Maybe I will go for the incorrect password method.

Thank you

Guest jimbouk

You should also ensure that activeysnc is properly closed. Best way is to go to start, settings, system tab, memory, running programs tab and then "kill" activesync.

Guest slinkey

hi guys.

sorry to barge in like this but i need some help getting the aku2 rom for my spv m600. i've been reading about one from qtek or imate (can't remember which) but to register on their site you have to have their imei number-mine's orange.

all i want is to be able to use my bluetooth headphones!-it's not asking too much is it????

if anyone there can shed ANY light on this i would really be grateful-i realise that this is schoolboy stuff for you lot but for me it's like rocket science so any help would be appreciated.

thanks for your time.

slinkey

Guest Stabilo
hi guys.

sorry to barge in like this but i need some help getting the aku2 rom for my spv m600. i've been reading about one from qtek or imate (can't remember which) but to register on their site you have to have their imei number-mine's orange.

all i want is to be able to use my bluetooth headphones!-it's not asking too much is it????

if anyone there can shed ANY light on this i would really be grateful-i realise that this is schoolboy stuff for you lot but for me it's like rocket science so any help would be appreciated.

thanks for your time.

slinkey

If you go the the xda-developers.com ftp site you will find numerous ROM's (Dopod for M600 etc). User name and password is xda for ftp.

Guest slinkey
If you go the the xda-developers.com ftp site you will find numerous ROM's (Dopod for M600 etc). User name and password is xda for ftp.

just got your message-thanks very much for your help

slinkey

Guest Chiz

I have slightly changed the topic of this, I hope that is OK. :)

Do I have to use someone such as mail2web or can I used push e-mail on my M600 through gmail?

The problems I have are:

1. I don't use mail2web on a daily basis so when I activate DirectPush I end up with loads of e-mails not just the most recent ones I was expecting in Gmail. This is because I don't delete them in mail2web but do in gmail.

2. When I send an e-mail it is sent from mail2web, an address that people don't know or mine and not gmail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Guest Stabilo
I have slightly changed the topic of this, I hope that is OK. :)

Do I have to use someone such as mail2web or can I used push e-mail on my M600 through gmail?

The problems I have are:

1. I don't use mail2web on a daily basis so when I activate DirectPush I end up with loads of e-mails not just the most recent ones I was expecting in Gmail. This is because I don't delete them in mail2web but do in gmail.

2. When I send an e-mail it is sent from mail2web, an address that people don't know or mine and not gmail.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Pushmail is normally a paid for service as it requires an Exchange server etc. Gmail doesn't offer it.

Guest Chiz
Pushmail is normally a paid for service as it requires an Exchange server etc. Gmail doesn't offer it.

Thanks for that. I'll have to make do.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mattoo

yes you must use a mail system offering the directpush option. The only I know are :

mail2web wich is free

4smartphone about 50 € a year http://www.4smartphone.net/

The second one will permit using your gmail address as a "reply address" instead of a mail2web address. But it's not free... mail2web does not offer this possibility, so your correspondant will see this mail2web address.

On my side, I'm using mail2web but I only get msg in a 2-5 minutes range, never more quickly. Does it work more instantly for you guys ?

thanks for your help

Edited by mattoo

On my side, I'm using mail2web but I only get msg in a 2-5 minutes range, never more quickly. Does it work more instantly for you guys ?

thanks for your help

Thanks for your info.

When I first started using it test e-mails to my gmail account arrived very quickly (few seconds).

I didn't want it active all the time so turned it off but a certain times I would have everything in the account sent to me in one go.

Now it won't work at all. This is discussed in THIS THREAD

Chiz

Edited by Chiz

Guest mattoo
When I first started using it test e-mails to my gmail account arrived very quickly (few seconds).

and I guess at this time you used SSL connexion ?

it does not work for me, I have to disable it.

Did you try to untick "SSL authentification" ?

Were you using SSL before ?

Did you try to untick "SSL authentification" ?

Were you using SSL before ?

Yes and yes.

It kept asking me for my password without SSL. When I typed the correct one in it said it was incorrect.

With SSL ticked, it didn't sync.

I saw a recommendation (from Confucious) about unticking the SSL thing.

Chiz