Setting up push email on mda pro

Guest amo

So, i'm finally back in the smartphone arena after having picked up the MDA Pro earlier today. I've signed up for a mail2web account but am having trouble to get it to actually work. I've seen a few guides on here but am getting stuck as one of the steps refers to opening 'comms manager'. Well ive searched and searched but can't seem to find it.. Can anyone help an old timer set up his account on his new beast of a phone? ;)

Guest eelco_akker

If you have a T-Mobile MDA Pro you cannot setup Push Mail, cause AKU2 isn't released yet. So leave that aside.

Go on your device to activesync.

Add a Server Connection from the menu.

* Leave SSL Checked

* your username is your emailadress --> e.g. [email protected]

* fill out your password

* Domain : ad2

* serveradress is : mobile.exchange.mail2web.com

That's all

Eelco

What?! So I can't even get push email?! That's one of the main reasons I got this device!!! Please someone tell me there's a workaround?

Guest Shuflie

There is but it involves putting on a non t-mobile rom which will invalidate your warranty, not nice if anything goes wrong with the upgrade. T-mobile are probably going to release a new ROM sometime in the future if you are able to live with scheduled checking of the server every 5 minutes, one of the nice things about the mail2web exchange server service is that you can backup your contacts, calendar and tasks to it so that if you have any reason to hard reset when you're out and about you can get them all back again providing you can remember the settings for the server.

Guest Shuflie

Just set the server up, then in activesync on the MDA PRO select schedule from the menu. It is set to manual by default but you select how often to check for new mail there, including different times for daytime and evening/night.

See in that list theres another option that says "on new item" or something or other which lead me to beleive it should sync (or push the email) only when a new one arrives, or is this not the case?

Guest Shuflie

That's the pre push email way of doing things, you give it your phones's email address which is {your phone number}@tmobile.com (or .co.uk I can't remember exactly) and when you get new mail you receive a command sms from the server telling activesync to sync with the server. I'm not sure if these messages would come out of your flext allowance or not so I just live with the (up to) five minute delay for scheduled checking.

Guest jimbouk

I am sure tmobile will release the AKU2 rom soon. All the other major networks and device branding outfits have been releasing them for all HTC devices over the last couple of months - so do not despair.

Guest Confucious

T do seem rather slow in releasing AKU2. I use my Exec on T-Mob and Push email is great.

You culd put another ROM on if you know what you're doing but otherwise you'll have to wait for T to release the update.

Guest fraser
That's the pre push email way of doing things, you give it your phones's email address which is {your phone number}@tmobile.com (or .co.uk I can't remember exactly) and when you get new mail you receive a command sms from the server telling activesync to sync with the server.

That's the best way to do it IMHO. No heartbeat draining your battery and it works over WiFi. Should also work with non-ActiveSync mailboxes, e.g. IMAP.

Can you still use this system? I understand they are trying to phase it out, as the SMS part costs money and can be abused.

Guest Shuflie
That's the best way to do it IMHO. No heartbeat draining your battery and it works over WiFi. Should also work with non-ActiveSync mailboxes, e.g. IMAP.

Can you still use this system? I understand they are trying to phase it out, as the SMS part costs money and can be abused.

I'm not even sure if it still works or not, just tried sending an email to my number but got returned mail saying that my number was unrecognised. That might be for a number of reasons though, I ported my number in from 3 so it may not be tied properly to my SIM for email, I could have got the number format wrong or they might not be supporting it any more.

Guest fraser
I'm not even sure if it still works or not, just tried sending an email to my number but got returned mail saying that my number was unrecognised. That might be for a number of reasons though, I ported my number in from 3 so it may not be tied properly to my SIM for email, I could have got the number format wrong or they might not be supporting it any more.

I think you need to pre-arrange it with the carrier, and the email address I wrote was made up. ;) The email/sms public gateways are a different thing though. I'd imagine that the original push email system has the capability to send mails directly.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Spartan07
I think you need to pre-arrange it with the carrier, and the email address I wrote was made up. :) The email/sms public gateways are a different thing though. I'd imagine that the original push email system has the capability to send mails directly.

Any way to read your email automatically with a XDA Exec?

Thanks,

Mike

Guest Confucious

XDA Exec latest ROM has AKU2 so all you need is an Exchange cserver running 2003 with SP2 or use one of the free or paid for providers of push email.

Guest Fleabag

[email protected] is not what your phone's email address will be. I don't remember off hand what it is, but you can find out on www.tmobile.co.uk - also, your network email address is nothing at all to do with your sim - it's all network side.

No release date set for push on T-Mobile at the moment, I talked to someone in tech asking for some info, who claimed it wasn't even possible (even though I have it on my S200). Idiot.

Edited by Fleabag

Guest Shuflie
[email protected] is not what your phone's email address will be. I don't remember off hand what it is, but you can find out on www.tmobile.co.uk - also, your network email address is nothing at all to do with your sim - it's all network side.

No release date set for push on T-Mobile at the moment, I talked to someone in tech asking for some info, who claimed it wasn't even possible (even though I have it on my S200). Idiot.

There are a couple of threads about the AKU2 ROM for the MDA PRO, one guy has had a replacement MDA PRO with the latest ROM on it which supports push email. In the other thread someone claims to have had an email from t-mobile which says that the new rom will be out on the 19th of June, which is today, and being a sunday I find that a bit unlikely.

Guest Shuflie
Isn't today the 18th? :)

You're right, it was the 18th (really must fix my watch or my eyes), but the 19th has been and gone without any sign of an update. Perhaps their release schedule has just slipped a little.

Guest Confucious

They tend to slip but it sounds like it's imminent.

One thing, have you actually tried downloading the ROM? T have been known to put new ROMs up but forget to tell anyone! Sometimes the web page doesn't change but the link actually points to a newer ROM than they describe.

Just a thought! :)

Guest Confucious

Blakey, can you let us know what ROM version it's got pleaseM

Start->Settings->System->Device information (IIRC)

Thanks.

Oh, and congratulations on your new phone :)

• 1 month later...