Viewing PC on TV

Guest w411y

Guest w411y

Just got a new TV in my computer room place and was wondering if I could display my PC on it. Ive read about PC to VGA converters but theyre a little over my budget really and unsure about compatabilities.

So are there any other methods or anybody care to share their opinion?

Guest Madeye

Does your graphics card have an s-video socket? Either 4 pin or 7 pin? If it does then you can just get a pc - scart cable (assuming your tv accepts s-video)

I assume your tv doesn't have a vga input? Just asking cos some (including mine) do, and you may not even know! :)

If neither of those ring true then does your graphics card have dvi output? If so then a DVI component converter would do the trick.

Otherwise try this... http://www.idiots.org.uk/vga_rgb_scart/

I'm all out of ideas now.

Guest mini_man

Yeh I do that in my room its awesome, I use my 14" (wow!) tv for windows media player its really useful, or for watching videos and films when i dont want to sit at my desk.

I have a graphics card with a video phono output and then use a really long phono cable to connect to my freeview and my tv.

Its really gr8! I can view my pc on my tv and my freeview on my pc :)

Sam

Guest w411y

I think that my TV has Svideo but my PC only has VGA. I might post pictures of the back of the PC and TV just to confirm with you guys but if I am right what are the solutions? Can i only use that website Madeye posted

Thanks a lot for your inputs

Guest mike-oh

HDTV and DVI is the way to go!

mmmm 26" monitor with picture in picture so you can watch TV at the same time.

Is your TV a standard CRT? ie a normal tv, not plasma or LCD? Otherwise you may find it pretty hard to use as a monitor as the picture quality on a standard TV will be crumby compared to even a half decent CRT monitor.

post-1982-1149623042_thumb.jpg

Edited by mike-oh

Guest w411y

Yeh CRT. Its quite old but its still damn good. HDTVs.. yeh they are sexy but out of my budget, so you can stop rubbing it in :)

Guest FragMeister

Is your TV a standard CRT? ie a normal tv, not plasma or LCD? Otherwise you may find it pretty hard to use as a monitor as the picture quality on a standard TV will be crumby compared to even a half decent CRT monitor.

Now you're just showing off! :)

Guest mike-oh
Now you're just showing off! :)

teehee, sorry couldn't resist :) the advantages of working full time and living at home with 'rents ;)

If you want to use it like miniman does and use the tv to watch films/media on you should be fine. Trying to browse the t'interweb will be hard on the eyes though!

Guest w411y

So my only possible solution would be that guide Madeye posted about a VGA to Scart lead? (Sorry if that sounded stupid I havnt really read thoroughly through that page)

And yes it will be mainly for watching videos/films and to show mates some stuff when theyre over... PC is in an awkward position for everyone to cram around :)

Guest mike-oh

If you can post us pics of the back of your PC so we can see the outputs, and also a pic of any inputs on your TV then we can point you in the right direction.

I'm pretty sure there'll be a way to do it even if its from SVideo to a phono plug input on your TV (the most basic way).

Guest mike-oh

Hmmmmm. Short of that quite complicated vga to scart option (seems very awkward) i'm struggling for options.

The main problem you have (correct me if i'm wrong anybody) but you have integrated graphics on your PC motherboard and the only video output is VGA. Most if not all graphics cards nowadays have s-video and often DVI out.

Can your budget stretch to a new graphics card? How old is you PC? even a cheap card ~

Guest Madeye

Hey I wanted to show off too! :)

pc.jpg

I've got a 26" on my bedroom wall too, but nothing is connected to that at the moment... I'm working from home so my PC is on the 40" plasma in my living room! yay!

I'd definitely go with the graphics card option, just get down to your local computer fair and pick up a dirt cheap one with svideo, that'll do the trick. Or get a jkob through the summer and save up for a decent graphics card and a nice big tv/monitor! You know you want too!

:)

Guest Madeye

They're not a complete ripoff but they do look a litle pricey!

I'd recommend something along the lines of... http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GeForce-4-Ti4200-ViV...1QQcmdZViewItem

if u use ebay that is.

Secondly, don't you dare pay labour to anyone!!! Installing a new graphics card involves undoing a few screws, inserting the card (as easy as putting a letter through a letterbox) then putting the screws back in. Seriously, so easy!

If you don't use ebay then just shop around using kelkoo etc.

Good luck!

edit: I'll just add that I'd never buy computer related goods from a company with a website that bad! :)

Edited by Madeye

Guest mike-oh

I'll second madeye; don't you dare pay labour costs!!!! It's real easy.

My recommendations are www.ebuyer.co.uk who i used loads until i found www.aria.co.uk who are even cheaper! There's also some dirt cheap HDTVs on there.

Anyhow, have a look, see what's in your price range then ask us for our opinions.

Nice to see a similar messy wire ridden room to mine Madeye :) !

Guest w411y

Not a hardcore ebayer yet. Still a noob :) Start trying to sell stuff after these exams.

I bought my ATX Power Supply off ebuyer :) Managed to stick that in myself

Yeh I must admit that website is a bit pants to say the least. Nightmare to find your way around.

Many thanks for all of your inputs, including you show-offs ;) Expect to see this topic bumped in a couple of weeks :D

Guest mini_man

Well check out my almighty set up in my room :)

post-160616-1149931319_thumb.jpg

Lol ok maybe not that almighty with a 14" CRT Tv but four large speakers that are arn't in Surround Sound but quadraphonic kinda covers for that :)

Eat that Madeye mike-oh!

Yeh viewing general pc stuff on it is really aload of rubbish but like I said its really useful for videos and music.

Guest w411y

That pic has now tempted me to not play XBox live today and go dig out my 64 from the attic and play some classic Mario Kart, James Bond, Perfect Dark.... ooo the list doesn't stop :)

Guest ElGato65

I set up my newly built HTPC using VGA -> VGA @ 1368x 768, as my new LCD Tosh had VGA input and came with the cable, but after reading the that "DVI -> HDMI is the way to go", i invested

Edited by ElGato65

Guest mini_man
That pic has now tempted me to not play XBox live today and go dig out my 64 from the attic and play some classic Mario Kart, James Bond, Perfect Dark.... ooo the list doesn't stop

Ha ha! The N64 is the best! I loved super smash brothers which was my favourite game!.

Im tempted by the Nintendo Wii!

post-160616-1149934339_thumb.jpg

Partly cos it looks absolutley awesome with the wireless movement sensitive controllers but also cos it allows you to download All the old cartridge games!!!! Imagine having a library of old nintendo games on there!!

Lol thought Id share that thought :)

Sam

Guest mike-oh
I set up my newly built HTPC using VGA -> VGA @ 1368x 768, as my new LCD Tosh had VGA input and came with the cable, but after reading the that "DVI -> HDMI is the way to go", i invested

Guest Confucious

VGA = Video Graphics Array = 640 X 480

SVGA = Super VGA = 800 X 600

XGA = eXtended Graphics Array = 1024 X 768

Or so I remember them - Just phound http://searchsmb.techtarget.com/sDefinitio...i211966,00.html and it goes into more detail.

Calling 1368 X 768 VGA is like calling an ADSL switch a modem (MoDulator - DEModulator -which is exactly what it doesn't do!)

Am I showing my age here....