Guest sporkguy

Guest Pondrew

Yep, that's how I was using Xbox Live on my Xbox (the old one mind) during 2004/2005. The only difference being that the crossover cable was plugged into my desktop's ethernet card which uses a D-Link wifi adapter. Unfortunately the signal still wasn't great so I got occasional lag, but that was just cos the router is in the study room on the other side of the house...

Guest bluesxman
By free, I obviously mean you already need to own a laptop with wifi, the crossover cable, and the subscription to live.. but heck, if you have those things lying around like I did - it saves you blowing another

Guest Tech

:)

Microsoft dont set the prices for wifi cards fyi - its the supplier of them, Microsoft dont make much from the wifi cards at all!

Guest fluffcat1
:)

Microsoft dont set the prices for wifi cards fyi - its the supplier of them, Microsoft dont make much from the wifi cards at all!

Actually, they are made *for* microsoft to microsoft specs and there isn't much to them if you crack one open, certainly not enough to justify their price tag, which *is* set by microsoft. It's the actual Xbox 360 that is the supposed loss leader - all the ancilleries are priced to make at least 60% profit from the figures I've seen. How do you think they can bundle so much in to the console bundles over the cost of a core package?

eg: Just

Guest nevawlkalone
Yep, that's how I was using Xbox Live on my Xbox (the old one mind) during 2004/2005. The only difference being that the crossover cable was plugged into my desktop's ethernet card which uses a D-Link wifi adapter. Unfortunately the signal still wasn't great so I got occasional lag, but that was just cos the router is in the study room on the other side of the house...

Have you looked in to a WiFi Repeater?

More info HERE

It amplifies the signal so that it is useable all over your house.

We have them at work to flood all main reception and conference rooms with WiFi so external clients can access the Net!

Edited by nevawlkalone

Guest sporkguy

Yeah, repeaters have been great for us in the past, we've got two in our house (3 if you include the original router) cos our walls are thick and the house is massive.. does the trick nicely :)

Guest Dr Who
I had the WiFi adaptor, but then ditched it for 85MB Homeplug, which is great :)

P

Have you tried plugging one of the Homeplug adapters into a neighbours and seeing if you can pick it up? Although the junction box is meant to stop any data leaving your house I have heard that it may leak.

An expensive beast - any idea where to pick one up 'cheaply'?

• 6 months later...