nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia

I actually tried copying the edited file while keeping the same name (i.e. replace) and then changing the file name to something unique. Both gave me the same error.

I am interested in what you mean by matching titles - when I open the XML file in Notepad, there is no TITLE element that I can see. The top few lines look like this (hope it comes through correctly):

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<home>
   <author>DAT Group</author>
   <contacturl>http://www.datgroup.com/</contacturl>
   <title lang="0x0409">VZW Full layout</title>

Should I add a Title element if it isn't there?

The thing that keeps me scratching my head is that I get the same error when copying any of the XML homescreen files to any folder, not just Application Data. That's what's making me wonder if the Q is locked somehow by Verizon. Have you successfully edited a home screen file on your Q?

The title element IS there....in the last line of the code you show as an example.

The Title is what is shown on the phone when selecting a homescreen. This can be a duplication of a differnet name...but that would make it difficult to choose the correct file wouldnt it. (eg. if you had three homescreens named "VZW Full Layout"

The filename, as in all filenames in the same directory, must be unique.
If the original filename is VZWFull.home.xml
then just copy the file to the desktop...Rename it VZWFull2.home.xml or whatever then edit that file and return it to the phone.

Again, I'd recommend changing the TITLE Attribute within the XML file so you know which is which.

-Nick

nickcornaglia

nickcornaglia

Blackjack'd

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,251 posts
  • Devices:iPhone5
  • Twitter:@nickcornaglia
Also...if you are copying a file to your desktop, make sure you change the attributes to not be read-only. You can do this by right clicking the file on your desktop, clicking properties, the un-checking read-only.

Change your file as you wish...then you should be able to add it back to the phone.

-Nick

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users