Alex (nedge2k)

Editor Dude

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Devices:Too many!
  • Twitter:@nedge2k

Posted Image

You may remember recently, HTC took a majority stake in Dopod. This was done in a move to allow HTC to provide devices under their own brand. Well, HTC announced today that not only will they be selling the Heremes and the Breeze under their new HTC brand names of TyTN and MTeor (repectively) but that these devices will be sold through Qtek under the new HTC brand...

Posted Image

HTC, the world's leading provider of Windows Mobile® devices, today launched the world's first tri-band 3G Windows Mobile Pocket PC [TyTN]and 3G smartphone [MTeoR] under the new HTC brand identity.

HTC will continue to support its operator-branded products and OEM partners as a key priority. At the same time, HTC will provide its new branded products to its existing Qtek channels, distributors, enterprise and operators, who do not carry operator-branded products. Migrating the Qtek brand to the new HTC brand identity will enable HTC to provide better direct support to those customers.

Why HTC seem to have chosen leetspeak to brand their deivces is beyond me. Maybe they're trying to appeal to a yonger audience? Let's just hope the likes of Orange and O2 don't follow suit. That would not be teh r0x0r (whatever that means) :)

Full press release HERE, re-vamped HTC site HERE, news source HERE!

Cab-O-Matic - The ONLY online .cab maker (now working again, mostly!)

Posted Image Posted Image

Pondrew

Pondrew

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,404 posts
  • Devices:MDA Vario II
Well, it's in keeping with the HTC SRTTrk.

Good news as long as they continue to service all the other providers...

sporkguy

sporkguy

iSpork

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Phone History:<br /><br />-Nokia 5110<br />-Nokia 8210<br />-Nokia 3510i<br />-Nokia 7210<br />-Sony Ericsson K700i<br />-Nokia 6630<br />-Nokia 7610<br />-Orange SPV M500<br />-Orange SPV C500<br />-Sony Ericsson W800i<br />-Nokia N90<br />-Samsung D600<br />-iMate SP5<br />-MDA Vario <br />-MoDaCo C600<br />-MDA Pro<br />-Sony Ericsson K800i<br />-Nokia E61<br />-Nokia N95<br />-LG Viewty<br />-Sony Ericsson W660<br />-Nokia 6500 Classic Black<br />-Sony Ericsson W910<br />-Sony Ericsson C902<br />-Blackberry Curve<br />-Blackberry Bold 9000<br />-iPhone 3GS<br />-HTC Desire<br />-iPhone 4
  • Devices:iPhone 4
  • Twitter:@Super_Nicktendo
The HTC brand will be well received I reckon.

And I'm eating my words: that breeze looks a LOT nicer from the side angle pictured.

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Devices:8500 amongst others...

You may remember recently, HTC took a majority stake in Dopod. This was done in a move to allow HTC to provide devices under their own brand.

From what I read / understood it was done to give the chairwoman of HTC ( who also owned dopod anyway ) a tax-free dividend from the part sale of her share of dopod to her employer HTC.... :)

I believe also that dopod will still be the brand for Asia so I don't think it's related to the new logo / own brand launch as it's not like they will have common distribution worldwide. I would be surprised to see Qtek last long though as they are currently the european brand AFAIK.

Nice logo though.

Richard

'....It's been out in Japan nearly 3 weeks - where's yours?'

Alex (nedge2k)

Alex (nedge2k)

Editor Dude

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,757 posts
  • Devices:Too many!
  • Twitter:@nedge2k

From what I read / understood it was done to give the chairwoman of HTC ( who also owned dopod anyway ) a tax-free dividend from the part sale of her share of dopod to her employer HTC.... :)

Be that as it may, it's speculation and the official line is that HTC did it to release devices under their own brand. I don't fancy tangling with HTC lawyers, do you? ;)

@sporkguy: have to agree, looks much nicer from that angle :)

Cab-O-Matic - The ONLY online .cab maker (now working again, mostly!)

Posted Image Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
  • Devices:All the Nexus!
  • Twitter:@paulobrien
Yh, t lks prty thn?

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Want to donate? MoDaCo is raising money for the Multiple Sclerosis society.

Posted Image

loki_f

loki_f

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
  • Devices:MDA Compact IV
cool.. about time!

I think this is a move they should have made a long time ago.

Should be interesting what happens with i-Mate now!

Smartphone History
Orange SPX1 Prototype > Orange SPV E100 > Orange SPV E200 > Orange SPV C500 > iMate SP3i > O2 XDA Mini S > Qtek 8310 >
Qtek 8500 > Samsung i600 > T-Mobile MDA Touch Plus > T-Mobile MDA Compact IV

Unic0der

Unic0der

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Devices:i-Mate SP5
wtf, guys! look at the breeze! where is the front camera for videocalls?! it has gone!!! breeze now sucks even more!!!!!!!!!!!

sporkguy

sporkguy

iSpork

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts
  • Interests:Phone History:<br /><br />-Nokia 5110<br />-Nokia 8210<br />-Nokia 3510i<br />-Nokia 7210<br />-Sony Ericsson K700i<br />-Nokia 6630<br />-Nokia 7610<br />-Orange SPV M500<br />-Orange SPV C500<br />-Sony Ericsson W800i<br />-Nokia N90<br />-Samsung D600<br />-iMate SP5<br />-MDA Vario <br />-MoDaCo C600<br />-MDA Pro<br />-Sony Ericsson K800i<br />-Nokia E61<br />-Nokia N95<br />-LG Viewty<br />-Sony Ericsson W660<br />-Nokia 6500 Classic Black<br />-Sony Ericsson W910<br />-Sony Ericsson C902<br />-Blackberry Curve<br />-Blackberry Bold 9000<br />-iPhone 3GS<br />-HTC Desire<br />-iPhone 4

wtf, guys! look at the breeze! where is the front camera for videocalls?! it has gone!!! breeze now sucks even more!!!!!!!!!!!

Well spotted.
Perhaps this is just a mockup and they forgot to insert the video-call camera? Maybe even the Asian markets won't be receiving a 3G version of the breeze? who knows! :)

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
Woah, good spot :|

P

You can follow me on Twitter - http://twitter.com/paulobrien / Follow MoDaCo on Twitter - http://twitter.com/modaco

Posted Image

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
There is no button on the keypad for answering a video call, so, in summary, no video calling! :|

So 3G data speeds is the ONLY upgrade over the Faraday, and an arguably uglier form factor.

Oh...

Hermes (sorry MTeoR) for me all the way!

P

Posted Image

sporkguy

sporkguy

iSpork

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,029 posts

There is no button on the keypad for answering a video call, so, in summary, no video calling! :|

So 3G data speeds is the ONLY upgrade over the Faraday, and an arguably uglier form factor.

Oh...

Hermes (sorry MTeoR) for me all the way!

P

Ahh, another cashcow for L'Orangé!
Gotta hand it to them, they know how to pull HTC's strings :)

PaulOBrien

PaulOBrien

It's My Party

• Founder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 36,366 posts
Why the hell has the breeze only got a 1.3MP camera?!?!

For crying out loud!

P

Posted Image

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Should be interesting what happens with i-Mate now!

Yeah. As hopefully HTC will now support devices properly. From what I've read, Qtek is dead as a brand very soon. Lets hope they bury the lack of support with the name....

Richard

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Be that as it may, it's speculation and the official line is that HTC did it to release devices under their own brand. I don't fancy tangling with HTC lawyers, do you? :)

Seems to be more conclusion rather than a concrete reason.
Dopod will continue in Asian markets alongside the HTC stuff, and QTek's the one that's turning into HTC according the the press, so they didn't need to buy dopod to release devices under their own brand - they already could via Qtek being renamed.

Richard

argh

argh

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Devices:HTC Desire

This is all quite sad :)

HTC really need to get on the ball and produce up to date products matching their opponents, such as Nokia.

If they released a Symbian phone with those specs, they wouldn't sell more than a couple of units. I like the WM platform but this only stretches so far before all the other benefits of phones on other platforms sway me.

rikwebb

rikwebb

Call this Job Satisfaction !

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Devices:Diamond, HD, Pro, HTC HD2
A breeze without 3G calling is all 'hot air' :) if you ask me - or is it all wind ??

Seriously though - no 3G calls is a real let down :) lets hope its a mistake !!

Rik

Thumper Net

Thumper Net

The artist formerly known as Peekie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,888 posts
Think they need to improve the camera before they move into 3g , can see the caller the other end asking whos that bluur on my phone :)

gadget freek , rabbit mad english guy trapped in Holland

morpheus2702

morpheus2702

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,311 posts
  • Interests:Films, electronics, gadgets
  • Devices:nokia N95 8Gb
Why don't they just call the Breeze the TrKy?

Device history: Nokia 5146, Nokia 3120, Nokia 7110 (x3), Nokia 6210 (x2), Ericsson T39, Ericsson T68, Sony Ericsson T68i, Orange SPV (x2), SPV E100 (x3), Nokia 6600 (x2), SPV C550, MDA Vario
Posted Image

Confucious

Confucious

Peanut Brain

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,636 posts
  • Devices:iPhone 5
  • Twitter:@Confuciousmobil
I've been using 3G phones for 3 years and have only ever made 2 video calls just to see what it was like - does anyone actually use video calling?

He who asks a question looks foolish for 5 minutes. He who doesn't ask a question remains foolish forever.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users