How not to play with a sharp axe

Guest awarner

Guest awarner (MVP)

Had fun on Monday night with an axe chopping some very seasoned wood.

Unfortunately the wood was a bit too well seasoned so the cut was hard and caused the axe to bounce, the result was that the axe decided to bite me. :)

post-53-1150452178_thumb.jpg

Now those that know me and my scouting background know I pride myself in the sharpness of my blades my axe is no exception, I always test this by making sure I can shave with it before use.

On the good side while the cut was deep it was clean like a butchers knife through a nice piece of steak rather than jagged which can cause all other problems for healing and infections. The only problem was it's the muscle that enables you to lift your foot up and I basically severed in half.

Had to wait over 24hrs to have the muscle stiched up which was fun do to over worked hospital staff but now it's just a matter of time to see how much movement I get back in my foot. Hopefully I will know more in a few weeks.

Guest chucky.egg

Bl00dy hell!

Never mind though, think of how your post count will go up while you're stuck on the sofa with the Mrs waiting on you hand and (severed) foot.

:)

Get well soon fella

Guest sporkguy
Never mind though, think of how your post count will go up while you're stuck on the sofa with the Mrs waiting on you hand and (severed) foot.

Get well soon Ash!

Guest awarner (MVP)

No idea atm but it was quite a party :)

Had two paramedics, one doctor, two police officers and a tv crew.

It's just a shame that morphine did absolutely bugger all to help but the gas and air made me giggle like beery does when he's drunk :)

At least I know the vario is blood proof and thanks to it, it possibly saved my life.

Guest Paul (MVP)
At least I know the vario is blood proof and thanks to it, it possibly saved my life.

I take it you couldn't move and called the Ambulance from where you were then?

Blimey!

P

Guest awarner (MVP)

I take it you couldn't move and called the Ambulance from where you were then?

Blimey!

P

Yep in the middle of nowhere in a fire circle hollow so you could only see me if you came into the circle.

As for movement it was impossible, I lost all control of my left foot and had to keep the pressure on the cut with my scout necker to hold it together and stop the bleding.

By the time the paramedics came I was running out of energy it's certainly surprising how much it takes out of you.

Guest awarner (MVP)

According to the phone they were about 17 minutes as the 999 operator kept talking to me all the time to keep me going. She was a real star and definately one of the unsung heros of the emergency service.

They had trouble finding the place originally but luckly she knew the area a bit which helps and with GPS they can see where they are to guide them further.

Guest chucky.egg
surprising how much it takes out of you

I would have feinted like a granny at the first sign of blood.

Didn't you have anyone out there with you?

What if you'd passed out before the ambulance arrived?

Guest awarner (MVP)

It takes a lot to make me pass out, I'm used to gutting rabbits etc. If I had passed out the phone would have still been connected.

And yep I was by myself as I went to the scout campsite to set up early for a firelighting evening with scouts and cubs.

Had a nice fire going so the paramedic was a bit warm, I was in the middle of making a cup a coffee and was just sorting out a bit more wood for later.

Guest tsutton

Ouch!! Glad they found you quickly...

The photo of your foot is not very clear to whereabout the cut is... ? Around the back heel area?

Guest awarner (MVP)

On the front next to the shin bone, it's the muscle you use to lift your foot up that was severed.

They were concerned that it was damage to the main nerve but luckly it was no the case as such.

I just have to learn how to lift my foot again as I'm not having much luck atm.

Guest Confucious

That looks painful - myself, I try and avoid pain.

Get well soon Ash, I'm sure you'll be up and hoping arround in no time :)

Guest Sp00k

Well... If you will go scouting for boys! :)

But in all seriousness, that looks as though it was agonising, small wonder you needed morphine, etc.

I'm glad to see that you're still in one piece (just)... and that our occasional mutual sniping hasn't been prematurely ended. :)

Here's wishing you a speedy recovery... Sp00k.

Guest beersoft

now you know why im not allowed sharp or pointy things.

/me gets back to doing paperwork with his trusty crayon

and ash, there are easier ways to get prescribed 2 weeks bed rest so you can watch the footy

later

Owen