N80 or M600

Guest akurei_2000

Guest akurei_2000

Looking at an upgrade, and finally there are phones with Wi-fi as standard.

I am looking at the N80 from Nokia and the Orange M600 (if anyone knows of any other wifi enabled phone on the orange network plese let me know)

I currently have a M500, but would really like to go back to a normal phone style (although its been fine, i'm always paranoid about breaking the screen on teh M500)

I was looking at the N80 as i like the 3mp camera and Wifi, but the M600 looks good too!

help! any reviews or opinions from owners of the above phones (or any other wifi enabled phones) would be appreciated as i really don't know what to do!

Guest jimbouk

I would go the m600 route personally. I haven't tried the N80 but last time i tried a Nokia (after a few years with spv's, I hated the OS and returned it for another Windows device.

Also the M600 screen is big enough for web and email.

Guest jm012a9749
Looking at an upgrade, and finally there are phones with Wi-fi as standard.

I am looking at the N80 from Nokia and the Orange M600 (if anyone knows of any other wifi enabled phone on the orange network plese let me know)

I currently have a M500, but would really like to go back to a normal phone style (although its been fine, i'm always paranoid about breaking the screen on teh M500)

I was looking at the N80 as i like the 3mp camera and Wifi, but the M600 looks good too!

help! any reviews or opinions from owners of the above phones (or any other wifi enabled phones) would be appreciated as i really don't know what to do!

i would highly recomend a Qtek 8310/i-Mate SP5 (or a Qtek 8300/i-MateSPm if you want music buttons) if your willing to get a sim free phone. Personally the symbian operating system just annoys me. i hate it lol. In fact i hate all the N series phones with a passion lol. M600 is a good choice. if 3g is important to you go for the M5000 or M3100 when it comes out in the next 2 months or so. They are still selling the M2000 which has WiFi although onli a VGA camera. i think the M1500 has WiFi (confirm?)

[EDIT: The M5000's screen can swivel so you dont scratch it :) or break it unless you really try :)]

Phil

Edited by jm012a9749

Guest chonkey

I've got a N80 and its going back cos its a bit poo. and very chunky. and as jim says the os is nasty

But then I'm coming from an xdaiis which is a super geek toy and I want most of the functionality from that (wifi/email/ebooks etc (but not tomtom) but in a smaller package. The n80 just doesnt cut it for 'fiddleability' (and tbh, not fussed about 3g)

I'm moving from O2 to Orange as I can't stand the voicemail on o2 - but I hear that orange charge too much for gprs data so is there any other way of getting the m600 hardware with another provider?

Guest markdotpeters5

DON'T GET THE N80!!!

It would be a reasonably close call (ignoring personal preference about either OS) but Orange had crapped on the N80 with a rubbish firmware which you can't update!

M600 is a wonderful device. Fantastic :)

I've owned both btw.

Guest jm012a9749
I've got a N80 and its going back cos its a bit poo. and very chunky. and as jim says the os is nasty

But then I'm coming from an xdaiis which is a super geek toy and I want most of the functionality from that (wifi/email/ebooks etc (but not tomtom) but in a smaller package. The n80 just doesnt cut it for 'fiddleability' (and tbh, not fussed about 3g)

I'm moving from O2 to Orange as I can't stand the voicemail on o2 - but I hear that orange charge too much for gprs data so is there any other way of getting the m600 hardware with another provider?

could try buying a qtek s200 or imate Jammin from expansys with a tariff. vodaphones tariffs aren't particually attractive but it saves you shelling out however much (

Guest chucky.egg

Am I the only one here who quite likes the S60 OS?

Personally, and this isn't as far OT as it sounds, I almost never use WiFi anymore because I moved to a network that has a good data tariff (T-Mobile in case anyone out there still hasn't heard).

I'd suggest looking at T-Mob and the Vario (that's what I have) with "unlimited" (1Gb FUP) Web and Walk. It has WiFi for when you really want it, but the rest of the time you're still connected over GPRS without having to sell a kidney.

Guest jm012a9749
Am I the only one here who quite likes the S60 OS?

the answer to that question appears to be yes :) my dad has been begging me to lend him a wm phone until he can get rid of n70 and buy a pocket pc :)

phil

Guest impy78

I don't mind s60.

I have an N70 and before that I had a 6630.

The only beef I have with them is the Orange homescreen, which makes them operate like an OAP on weed.

Having said that, my mda is a lot more versatile, and with the N80, you have to bear in mind that it's YET ANOTHER memory format change for Nokia (make your minds up, lads!), and a new version of the symbian OS, so the sofrware dEvelopers haven't quite caught up yet, meaning it may be quite limited in that respect.

I would steer clear of Orange, unless you are:

a) Planning to win the lottery soon

:) A masochist

Guest markdotpeters5

S60 is OK, although obviously I prefer WM, but Nokia have a terrible habit of releasing phones with software that's too buggy for market.

They always fix them reasonably fast, but it's such a PITA if yuo get caught with an 'early adopter' firmware :)

Which is wy my N80 went back, and my M600 is next to my keyboard now, being all lovely :)

Guest jimbouk

Seems like 99% of us agree.

If you can get a prophet (the HTC name for it) on a worthwhile deal with a tmobile tarrif - you should be fine.

I am switching to tmobile next month and taking my JAMin with me...hmmm which free tmobile handset should I get to sell on ebay?

Guest jm012a9749
hmmm which free tmobile handset should I get to sell on ebay?

something distinctly funky like a vario :) or something you can flog for a ridiculous price like a nokia 8800 or 6280 or sony erricson w810i :)

Phil

Guest jimbouk
something distinctly funky like a vario :) or something you can flog for a ridiculous price like a nokia 8800 or 6280 or sony erricson w810i :)

Phil

Thats what I was thinking of. Although I might sell my sim-free JAMin for a fortune on ebay and have a tmobile vario for a while...

Guest jm012a9749
Thats what I was thinking of. Although I might sell my sim-free JAMin for a fortune on ebay and have a tmobile vario for a while...

or you could wait til the vario II comes out.....

i can't wait to get my hands on one ;) sounds so so so good :D especially on WnW with all that unlimited data! mmmmmm unlimited :)

[EDIT: ok 2gb but even i wont use that much and i absolutely hammer the gprs/edge on my qtek]

maybe you could sell your jamin to akurei_2000 :)

Phil

Edited by jm012a9749

• 4 weeks later...
Guest sittingduck

Stick with the SPV , I have had plenty of different nokia's & the spv range, E100, E200, C500, C550, C600 & now M600 Would not get anything but a SPV now :)