Philips TV1000/TV1100 SDIO DVB-H Card

Guest Alex (nedge2k)

Guest nedge2k

[teaser]

tv1000_1.jpg

Slightly old news (10 days <_ but at href="http://www.computex.biz/5C1/">Computex this year, Philips were showing off their SDIO DVB-H cards. What devices were the cards running in I hear you ask? Windows Mobile devices of course :)

DVB-H is the future format of digital television for mobile devices. Currently DVB-T is used in freeview boxes but it requires "line-of-sight" to the transmitter in order to pick up a good signal. DVB-H, on the other hand, does not require "line-of-sight" making it perfect for mobile devices.[/teaser]

Currently the only way to add TV to your Windows Mobile device (with SD slot) is by using an analogue SDIO TV tuner from Eopstech. I've got one and it's pretty damn good, much better than you'd find built into certain devices. The only problem with it is it's bulk and off-board sound. These problems, however, relate to the limited bandwidth SDIO has. Fortunately the era of DVB-H looks set to change that. Squeezing a digital signal through and SD slot is alot easier than sqeezing through an anologue one :)

DVB-H has been trialing around parts of the UK and Europe for some time now and even HTC are jumping on the DVB-H bandwagon with the Forseer but the question remains, does anyone really want to watch TV on their mobile? Well, I don't know about the rest of you but I rekon digital TV on the move would rock! ;)

tv1000_3.jpgtv1000_2.jpg

Guest sxywill2005

I will have this in my JasJar!!!!

All I want now is Windows Media Centre for smartphone and PPC!!!! I have put in a request to MS about this but no reply from them. Anyone else think a MS Phone with a pocket media centre app which syncs with MCE and manages media on your phone as well as being able to record DVB-H and other variants. It would be intensive on the PPC and smartphone. but at least we will have another feature which is better than Symbian.

no this is not possible

MCE was only designed for, and marketed, for the PC and the portable MCE - the portable will be the one you are after.

PPC/smartphone is just a mobile device for running a basic version of Windows and for making calls/apps - not an entertainment centre, if you need an entertanment centre "on the go" - get a portable media centre

Guest Paul (MVP)

Technically Portable Media Centers run Windows Mobile, so porting the PMC software to PPC / Smartphone wouldn't necessarily be impossible (I doubt there are plans to do so tho!)

I seem to recall the XDA Atom had a Media Center like application installed..

P

Guest ice_cold_3000

any news on when they will be available?

And is your current card any good ?

cheers

Edited by ice_cold_3000

actually PMC run Windows XP MCE (very barebone) and has no code at all for WM :)

but this is getting a bit OT so.... :)

Edited by Tech

Guest nedge2k
any news on when they will be available?

And is your current card any good ?

cheers

No info as yet :)

My card is pretty good, not great on the exec though: bigger screen, slower fps :)

Guest jm012a9749
The phraze "shot down in flames" springs to mind :)

Moral of the story:

Don't argue with the MVPs or the MoDaCo Founder :) They might on the off chance know more than you ;)

Phil

Guest ccsnet

@nedge2k - Dont spose you know if there is a PC version or even PC compatible software for use with this card ? It would be ideal for use in the car with my system as its been designed to be used on the move.

Thanks

Terran

Guest sruthika

Hi,

Will u guys believe that I am watching tv on my SPV E200 aka O2 Xphone??

I dont have SDIO TV tuner or an analog device :)

I just have a computer with a TV tuner card and running WME.

My xphone has unlimited GPRS. I connect to my computer from any where.

Guest sruthika
Neither PCs nor Smartphones are SDIO compatible.

Hi Nedge,

What do u mean? As per website of O2, O2 Xphone is SDIO.

The info is available at www.seeo2.com

Guest sxywill2005

Surely if Microsoft was to release PMC on to Windows Mobile Smartphones and PPC's it would add more appeal.

Even Bill Gates said in an interview with Engadget that more smartphones will be using a microdrive and he thinks that the consumer wants a all in one device. Why have a iPod nano if you have a microdrive on your phone? Then again manufacturers want you to buy more devices.

The consumer wants this, I don't really want to carry a Gigabeat S, a JasJar then a SDIO TV card when I am out. I have mentioned before, if Microsoft wants to suceed in the mobile market it needs a simple OS like on the low end Nokias. So something that had a media centre UI for smartphone on sub

Guest Pondrew
Hi Nedge,

What do u mean? As per website of O2, O2 Xphone is SDIO.

The info is available at www.seeo2.com

We hear you struthika and you're right that Smartphone hardware in the past was advertised as featuring SDIO ports but in practice it was found that the SDIO cards tried lacked the drivers to make them work. Whether it was the Smartphone manufactuers HTC to blame or the peeps who write the SDIO card drivers and sell the SDIO cards I don't know.

There's been a similar issue recently whereby the MDA Compact II Pocket PC Phone was advertised by T-Mobile as SDIO enabled but none of the existing cards and drivers worked. A workaround was discovered and I heard rumour that a new rom resolved the problem...

Guest Monolithix (MVP)
No info as yet :)

My card is pretty good, not great on the exec though: bigger screen, slower fps :)

Is it affected by the bigger screen or the higher res?

Guest LSmith4285

The motorola MPX200 had a sucessful implementation of SDIO. There was a camera for it which slid into the SD card slot for its connection.

Guest MitchellO
Even Bill Gates said in an interview with Engadget that more smartphones will be using a microdrive and he thinks that the consumer wants a all in one device. Why have a iPod nano if you have a microdrive on your phone?

I don't think microdrives are the way to go. Too power sapping and fragile. Phones with more flash memory are whats needed. If I had a phone with 4-8GB flash memory I would ditch my iPod today.

I am actually considering ditching my 30GB iPod and going back to using my phone as my music player. I find that I jut don't want to carry that extra device on the off chance I will want my music player. I'd much rather carry a set of headphones just in case, and plug them into my phone for some tunes. Probably going to sell both my iPod Video 30Gb and imate SP5 and buy an imate JAMin and a 2GB SD.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.