MoDaCo Plus members - download CABviaActiveSync free!

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

cabviaactivesync.jpg

How can a small application change your mobile life? Here's how ;)

Last week, nedge2k and I were lamenting how much of a nuisance it was to install CABs on the phone. Sure, it's not complex, but there are a bunch of applications out there to try and choose from that do it (one by myself from a long time ago included!), once you've installed a CAB you need to keep a copy of it for future installs, it doesn't integrate with ActiveSync and - well - in general, it's a bit painful.

With this in mind, I mentioned to nedge2k that writing an application to integrate CABs with the ActiveSync installer wouldn't theoretically be very hard. This morning, I actually got the inspiration to do something about it... so it's my pleasure to introduct CABviaActiveSync 1.0. :)

So how does it work?

- CvAS installs on your desktop PC, and adds a right-click context menu for CAB files

- When you click the menu, the CAB is automatically parsed, copied to your ActiveSync directory, and a regular ActiveSync install is initiated

- When the install is complete, the CAB file stays in the ActiveSync directory, meaning you can un/reinstall in future, without having to archive the CAB away somewhere.

For me, it's a serious time saver.

So how do you get this application?

I'm pleased to annouce that CABviaActiveSync is now available for free download to MoDaCo Plus members, from the usual MoDaCo Plus section - and I will be taking feedback on any issues / improvements for the app from that section also.

Enjoy! :)

P

Guest Matt Kirby

Well, there are several "right click" cab applications (I've even done one myself), but I don't know of one that uses ActiveSync, great idea!

Sounds like a must-have app to me!

Guest M1DUL

Hi Paul and All,

I am having problems with this program CABviaActiveSync.

I have Installed it on My PC and it Installed OK. When I right click on a Cab file I get a Error message which comes up saying Unable to Install CAB. Please Visit http://www.modaco.com If you wish to report this error, and we'll do our best to fix it!

I am using Windows XP Home OP and Orange SPV C500 WM 2003 SE OP / Orange SPV M5000 WM 2005.

I am using Microsoft Active Sync 4.1.0 (Build 4841) with only one Devices connected at one time.

Many Thanks for any Help/Information

Guest Paul (MVP)

Version 1.1 released in the Plus area, fixes an issue with CABs built in a particular way - thanks M1DUL for highlighting the issue!

P

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.