Qtek 8500 bugs?

Guest zen123

Guest zen123

1/ On the today screen, when I highlight the area which shows operator & date/time then press enter it goes into the Comms Manager. Is that correct? Should it not go to the date/time settings?

2/ In the comms Manager when I want to activate vibrate, the phone instead reverts to the normal profile.

3/ Is there a shortcut to set to vibrate?

Guest markjo

Not sure about 1 or 2 but a quick way to vibrate is to set your SILENT profile to include a VIBRATE only ring and then when you want to activate it, hold down the HOME key and you'll see the PROFILE menu pop up. Scroll down to SILENT and touch done. Not fast, but until I hear better, it works for me.

Guest Fredde87

1. No I dont think this is a bug. Since the comm manager relates to the operator I feel it is pretty natural that the comm manager is opened.

2. I dont have this problem. Are you sure that you havent got the headset plugged in? The phone will automatically revert to hearset if it is plugged in when changing to vibrate.

3. Dont know...

Now to my question, what does the button above the volume do when your phone is closed? It does nothing for me, if it is opened then it opens voice tags... Is it possbile to reconfigure this button?

Also have you noticed that the scrolling text or counter on the mp3 player when the phone is closed is a bit slow? It stutters for me sometimes...

Edited by Fredde87

Guest Fredde87

I thought of that too. But the screen isnt really on, just the backlight. I think the internal screen and the external share the same backlight that is why. Same thing if it is opened, the external screen will light up even though it is blank.

Another bug I noticed is that sometimes if you send and receive in your email account (i use gmail for it) and you press home after it has completed the send and receive the phone will become very slow and music will begin to stutter even though nothing else is running. Only solution is then to reboot.

Edited by Fredde87

Guest zen123

When I send a mms with a picture attached, even though I set it up to send original resolution when the recipient downloads it the photo has been resized smaller. I sent a picture message to a friend today which was 46k but when she got it it was only 9k. I then tried another one sent to my email & same a 50k photo resized to a tiny 7k.

Another bug or could it be something I'm doing wrong.

Guest Onslow_dk

Every time I have used IExplorer or sent a MMS, my GPRS icon keeps hanging, and I have to go into CommManager to disconnect.

Is that a bug?

Coz' on my Qtek 8020 I just had to press the End button once, and then the GPRS disconnected automatically.

/Onslow

Another bug...

If you go in your contacts, press "Menu" with the right softkey and select "3 send contact" (or something similar, I use Italian language).

The software allows to send contacts only by IR! :)

How can we send a contact via BT??

Guest cerij
Another bug...

If you go in your contacts, press "Menu" with the right softkey and select "3 send contact" (or something similar, I use Italian language).

The software allows to send contacts only by IR! :)

Turn Bluetooth on first, normally helps ;)

Guest SJ@MPx-220

I can't get RJTime to works with Juni's Dashboard skins. The same skins works fine on SP5m.

Immediately after switching to Juni's skin (or any skins with Facade), I can't access the contact/call log data. I had to press green button/back, then green button (empty list)/back and only the third time onwards then I will be able to access contact/call list.

If I did a soft-reset, many times, the home screen background (particularly if the themes are stored on storage card) will be blank.

My phone is already unlocked, however, I had also encountered three times that my phone refuse to run any softwares (it shows the error for software lock) without me doing anything to it. It only resolved once I reseted it. Very weird :)

-SJ

Guest Untouchab1e

im very happy with my Qtek 8500, but I have a bug which im not sure is due to a hardware malfunction, or a software bug. Sometimes when i open the phone, the display is totally blank (white), or the content is displaced (homescreen moved slightly to the left so you cant see it all), or the display is totally distorted (brightness is very high). Only way to fix it is to close and open the phone again. Anyone else experienced this or should i go back to the store and demand a new phone? :)

Also, my phone language is Norwegian, and when there is an incomming call, the external display is trying to show "Inkommende samtale", but its to long, so it just shows "Inkommende samta" or something. Hope it gets fixed ;)

Cheers!

Edited by Untouchab1e

Guest porkpie

Does anyone know if there's a way to change the shortcut buttons on the side of the screen? I really want to swap the voicenotes button for the Comm Manager.

If you can't then I guess that's a bug!

• 1 month later...
Every time I have used IExplorer or sent a MMS, my GPRS icon keeps hanging, and I have to go into CommManager to disconnect.

Is that a bug?

Coz' on my Qtek 8020 I just had to press the End button once, and then the GPRS disconnected automatically.

/Onslow

I have the same problem. Anybody knows how to setup the phone to disconnect automatically, like in 8020 ?

Guest paholman
I have the same problem. Anybody knows how to setup the phone to disconnect automatically, like in 8020 ?

It happens on my phone too, but I doubt it's a BUG with the phone and more likely to be a new feature for Windows Mobile 5 to introduce the Comms Manager. This is my 1st WM5 phone since my C500, so I wonder if anyone else using Windows Mobile 5 has the same issue on a diff phone such as C600?

It irritates the hell out of me that programs such as Messages, Media Player, Intenet Explorer etc don't have a "quit" or "exit" faciliity, and hog the memory. I seem to find Windows Mobile 5 likes these processes running in the background to increase performance for frequent use.

Edited by paholman

Guest paholman
It happens on my phone too, but I doubt it's a BUG with the phone and more likely to be a new feature for Windows Mobile 5 to introduce the Comms Manager. This is my 1st WM5 phone since my C500, so I wonder if anyone else using Windows Mobile 5 has the same issue on a diff phone such as C600?

It irritates the hell out of me that programs such as Messages, Media Player etc don't have a "quit" or "exit" faciliity. I seem to find Windows Mobile 5 likes these processes running in the background to increase performance for frequent use.

I've started to hit some problems now since I was playing with my own homescreens.

1. It wouldn't boot up, just hung on the Windows Mobile screen, so I had to do a hard reset which solved the problem.

2. I had to re-enter all the MMS/GPRS settings which is no biggie thanks for Cerij post here

3. The GPRS and MMS wouldn't work if I set all the Advanced Connections to "Automatic" (which did work before the hard reset). Now I have to set "Internet = Orange GPRS" and "WAP = Orange MMS" for those two to work

4. I recently bought Sprite Backup so a Hard Reset for me is no longer a big issue, but here's the worst problem so far: I had no network signal today. It just said "Searching.....". My wife is on Orange too, and her phone signal was fine. This is the second time this has happened to me in 2.5 months, and I had a similar problem with an MPX200 which was due to design of the phone and a loose SIM card. I'm hoping this is not the same problem. Anyhoo, I rebooted the phone, and the Orange carrier and signal strength returned, along with a number of SMS messages telling about the missed calls I'd had this afternoon. Apparently people were ringing me, but getting a message saying my phone was swtiched off, which is wasn't. I'm in the process of another Hard Reset and restoring from Sprite backup, but I can't bear this problem happening again.

Although I love this phone, and can't imagine having any other model now, I hope these minor BUGS are only a glitch and not reproducable. I'm tempted to call Expansys and exchange it for another QTEK 8500.

Has anyone in the UK tried to older (1.02.251.1) ROM from Expansys?

It appears to resolve the missed calls problem in the US according to http://www.modaco.com/New-8500-ROM-available-t245025.html

I'm wondering if this earlier version is a better and more stable version than the one I have which is 1.02.252.1.

Edited by paholman

Another bug...

The software allows to send contacts only by IR! :D

Select Beam instead of Send. The phone doesn't have IR, so "Beam" refers to Bluetooth. Odd, I know, but that's the way they've done it.

1) It is correct that hitting Time and Date on home screen starts Comm Man. This is most likely because in comparison with SP5 or 8310 there is no more Comm Man hardware button.

2) When in Comm Man hitting 5 swithches between the 1 and the 3 profile (Normal & Meeting). To make it switch to vibrate only set the desired Vibrate settings in the Profiles options.

It is a feature, which was introduced in SP5m / QTek 8100 devices. Clearly they're keeping this behavior.

• 2 weeks later...
im very happy with my Qtek 8500, but I have a bug which im not sure is due to a hardware malfunction, or a software bug. Sometimes when i open the phone, the display is totally blank (white), or the content is displaced (homescreen moved slightly to the left so you cant see it all), or the display is totally distorted (brightness is very high). Only way to fix it is to close and open the phone again. Anyone else experienced this or should i go back to the store and demand a new phone? :rolleyes:

Also, my phone language is Norwegian, and when there is an incomming call, the external display is trying to show "Inkommende samtale", but its to long, so it just shows "Inkommende samta" or something. Hope it gets fixed :(

Cheers!

I had something similar, but only when booting. The startup screen would look normal, then during the boot, it would expand by about 1 pixel. It was a sign that I needed to do a hard reset, as once I saw this, other things got weirder and weirder, until it took an hour to boot, and only did so one out of 10 times.

Boy was I regretting that I hadn't used Sprite Backup on the phone, right out of the box!

I'd suggest a Hard Reset, and if that's not fixing it, then get a new one while your warrantee lasts!

Hope this helps!

MadSci