27 replies to this topic

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Devices:8500 amongst others...

Seeing as Mobileplanet (Expansys USA) has withdrawn the 8500 from sale (understandably), they could well be trying to dump stock before HTC brings out a "fixed" version. A ROM boost to 128MB would be nice too. Even with all 3rd party apps installed to the SD card, mine still only has ~3MB free.

Were Mobileplanet selling the EU or US version in the US? All the issues I have seen re. the missed call bug have been US users IIRC.

Expansys are fully capable of re-flashing devices as well so I doubt they'd dump stock - they'd withdraw it and wait for the upgrade, then re-release it. Their b-stock pages have many listings for re-flashed devices that they have available inc. blueangels and iPaqs that have either had an upgrade or originally been destined for another market, as well as devices classed as 'repaired' where a flash has fixed a major issue.

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1, 26 July 2006 - 10:44 PM.

'....It's been out in Japan nearly 3 weeks - where's yours?'

w411y

w411y

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Devices:SPV M1500 & SPV C550
Deal of the Day? Where does it say that? Dammit, shame I dont have the money today :)

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Deal of the Day? Where does it say that? Dammit, shame I dont have the money today :)

Ahhh, yes, it is the deal of the day for thursday...might just buy that spare then.

Others are selling on ebay for 210 b-i-n inc postage btw.

Richard

Metoo

Metoo

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Were Mobileplanet selling the EU or US version in the US? All the issues I have seen re. the missed call bug have been US users IIRC.

Expansys are fully capable of re-flashing devices as well so I doubt they'd dump stock - they'd withdraw it and wait for the upgrade, then re-release it. Their b-stock pages have many listings for re-flashed devices that they have available inc. blueangels and iPaqs that have either had an upgrade or originally been destined for another market, as well as devices classed as 'repaired' where a flash has fixed a major issue.

Richard

Not sure, but all they list now is the EU version bundled with an extra battery, available "on demand" only - i.e. they're not keeping any stock in the US. So I guess they've either transferred their stock to the UK or sent it back to Qtek/HTC.

porkpie

porkpie

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
Just ordered one for my boss (althought it's just a good way to see if I'll want one!)

He had both a V3 and a sharp organiser (very old school) and wanted somethign as sleek but better with data (but he didn't want the size of the Wizard). Some people are so difficult to please!

I'll be interested to see how well the pad works on this one.

Oli

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Not sure, but all they list now is the EU version bundled with an extra battery, available "on demand" only - i.e. they're not keeping any stock in the US. So I guess they've either transferred their stock to the UK or sent it back to Qtek/HTC.

Or they could have withdrawn the US version until a rom fix is available and ship over EU versions on request. I doubt they'd send them back - they don't buy from HTC directly anyway but through distributers such as Dangaard or Brightpoint for the EU Qteks who themselves would only re-flash the device and ship it out again as a 'factory repack' or somesuch. I don't know who the distributer is in the US never needing to have dealt with them. The withdrawn units won't actually be going back to Taiwan and definatley not to the UK as they'd get reflashed then sent back to the US which makes no sense when they could do the same work locally to the handsets.

Richard

w411y

w411y

Hardcore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,516 posts
  • Devices:SPV M1500 & SPV C550
Yup, back to 244 but I added one to my basket on Thursday and its still showing in my basket as the deal of the day price so hopefully when I get the money and carry on with the order it will stay cheap :)

fluffcat1

fluffcat1

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts

Yup, back to 244 but I added one to my basket on Thursday and its still showing in my basket as the deal of the day price so hopefully when I get the money and carry on with the order it will stay cheap :)

Just don't flush your cache...

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users