• Please log in to reply
636 replies to this topic

Wozbacca

Wozbacca

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Rumours abound... MoDaCo member Wozbacca called Orange today to ask about the M3100, trying the CS staff lottery and see if anyone knew anything. She said that its still in testing, and should be out before the end of the month.

However, that's not all... i'll let Wozbacca pick up the story...

I also asked about the data bundles and i mentioned that 4 for 4MB isn't really that good compared to T-Mobile's package.

She said there is a new bolt on which is 8 per month which allows you unlimited GPRS / 3G data usage on your phone.... and its available now apparently!!

There are a few conditions...

- you must sign up to a 12 month contract of this bolt on (which works out to be 60 per year)
- you cant use your phone as a modem
- traffic from msn messenger is not included in this, which means you pay extra for the data used by IM

I thought that was a bit strange considering that IM traffic is a tiny amount compared to skype etc.

Intriguing, and also seems somewhat unlikely that IM traffic can be charged seperately (read impossible).

The question is... has anyone signed up for this, and does anyone have more information?

P

[Edited for News by Paul (MVP): Thanks Wozbacca for the heads up!]

Edited by Paul (MVP), 26 July 2006 - 08:06 AM.

beersoft

beersoft

el Borracho

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,318 posts
  • Interests:Beer, tech toys, sleep, more beer
  • Devices:2 cups and some string
so, unlimited data at long last (woo)

but are they going to give itemised data billing?, proberbly not

not that orange have any clue what any phone is doing on the network at any time (ask will, offer booze)

Later

Owen
http://www.msmobilenews.com/page/1360/ (hoff exclusive)

Wozbacca

Wozbacca

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
thought i should add, im an orange premier customer, so it might only be for the peeps paying hefty line rentals, dunno, worth asking tho

magic_peanuts

magic_peanuts

Resident nutter

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Orange SPV M3100<br />ROM: Pro Black V2.0
Can't say much at this stage, but suffice to say, not many Orange customers will be leaving for T-Mobile for a while!

More later...

Paul Cuckoo - - Contact me to see how VoIP can improve your business - - Meridian Options

HTC Tytn II (Kaiser) / OS: WM6 5.2.1620 / ROM: 1.56.405.5 / Radio: 1.27.12.11

bugeyes

bugeyes

Enthusiast

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPip
  • 257 posts
  • Interests:Long distance walker
is this the tarrif??? :-
Orange High Speed Data
Orange have developed a unique High Speed Data Plan that offers reduced data charges. You can send and receive information up to three times faster than standard circuit switched data rates.

monthly charge 8.51
inclusive minutes (per month) 0
maximum no. of phones allowed 1
standard High Speed Data calls (at all times) 17p
Orange to Orange High Speed Data calls (at all times) 12.8p
standard voice calls - peak 12.5p
standard voice calls - off-peak 4.25p
Orange to Orange voice calls - peak 12.5p
Orange to Orange voice calls - off-peak 4.25p
voice calls to other UK networks - peak 25p
voice calls to other UK networks - off-peak 10p
Answer Phone (per minute) 7.5p
Text Messaging (per message) 5.9p
peak hours 7am - 7pm weekdays
connection charge None

call charges shown are per minute

All prices exclude VAT. The Orange High Speed Data Plan includes our Orange Care package for 12 months. Terms and conditions apply.

Your business can benefit from faster data transfer speeds without having to subscribe to the High Speed Data Plan. All you need is a High Speed Data enabled phone or device. The costs are:

Standard High Speed Data calls per minute (at all times) 21p

Orange to Orange High Speed Data charges per minute (at all times) 17p

All prices exclude VAT.

High Speed Data Plan is available with a High Speed Data enabled phones and devices. Data connection speeds over 14.4 kbps are charged at High Speed Data rates. Data calls up to 14.4 kbps charges are at normal Talk Plan rates. All High Speed Data calls that are made and received whilst roaming will be charged as an international voice call.

if so no inclusive minutes????

url:-http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Business&c=OUKPage&cid=1135953583841

walk wild walk free! and die living!

oink1

oink1

• MoDaCo Silver
  • Pip
  • 37 posts
  • Interests:Techy stuff!
  • Devices:Orange SanFran
Well this is interesting... Worth a call to CS tomorrow i think :)

danwatson1974

danwatson1974

Regular

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 112 posts
  • Devices:Orange SPV M500

is this the tarrif??? :-
Orange High Speed Data
Orange have developed a unique High Speed Data Plan that offers reduced data charges. You can send and receive information up to three times faster than standard circuit switched data rates.

monthly charge 8.51
inclusive minutes (per month) 0
maximum no. of phones allowed 1
standard High Speed Data calls (at all times) 17p
Orange to Orange High Speed Data calls (at all times) 12.8p
standard voice calls - peak 12.5p
standard voice calls - off-peak 4.25p
Orange to Orange voice calls - peak 12.5p
Orange to Orange voice calls - off-peak 4.25p
voice calls to other UK networks - peak 25p
voice calls to other UK networks - off-peak 10p
Answer Phone (per minute) 7.5p
Text Messaging (per message) 5.9p
peak hours 7am - 7pm weekdays
connection charge None

call charges shown are per minute

All prices exclude VAT. The Orange High Speed Data Plan includes our Orange Care package for 12 months. Terms and conditions apply.

Your business can benefit from faster data transfer speeds without having to subscribe to the High Speed Data Plan. All you need is a High Speed Data enabled phone or device. The costs are:

Standard High Speed Data calls per minute (at all times) 21p

Orange to Orange High Speed Data charges per minute (at all times) 17p

All prices exclude VAT.

High Speed Data Plan is available with a High Speed Data enabled phones and devices. Data connection speeds over 14.4 kbps are charged at High Speed Data rates. Data calls up to 14.4 kbps charges are at normal Talk Plan rates. All High Speed Data calls that are made and received whilst roaming will be charged as an international voice call.
if so no inclusive minutes????

url:-http://www.business.orange.co.uk/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Business&c=OUKPage&cid=1135953583841

Sadly, no, it couldn't be this. This was the Orange HSCSD plan (running at a phenomenal 28.8 kbps) which stopped at about the same time that Orange introduced GPRS.

It was a great plan at the time though :)

Cheers,

Dan.

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
  • Interests:Sleeping
  • Devices:Desire S
  • Twitter:@chucky_egg

Can't say much at this stage, but suffice to say, not many Orange customers will be leaving for T-Mobile for a while!

That's because most of us that wanted flat rate GPRS have already gone to T-Mobile.

And after Orange saying (mis-quotes) "T-mobile are losing huge amounts of money", "It's not sustainable", "The infrastructure costs more to maintain than that"... they finally bite the bullet and match the price (well, almost, being Orange they can't bring themselves to do it quite as well as T)

Will

Will

Retired

• MoDaCo Gold
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,691 posts
  • Interests::)
  • Devices:c600
just checked with orange (spoke to the data team)
and....

(hey I was on hold for ages!)

apart from orange world max@ 80plus quiddies for 1000megs..
they said they know nothing about it.)

To be fair the CSR is going to investigate further and call me back today.

if/when I get an update.....

I'm not saying its wrong/right, but i'll wait and see!

Phones:
SPV-C600 - MoDaCo Special Edition
SPV-M5000 - Prize!
SPV M-2000 - Ebook Reader
3g: Orange MOC

waroffice

waroffice

Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
This could be interesting....my contract runs out on 5th aug so i was considering going pay as you go till the vario II arives on T-mobiles door mat. but this may make me stay with orange.

/me waits with bated breath

JonnyO

JonnyO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I'm another who is waiting on more information on this. I was going to go to T-mobile when the Vario II was launched but if this is true it might convince me to stay with Orange (after being with Orange for over 10 years!).

JonnyO

JonnyO

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

More later...

Why the cryptic answer?!!!!

jimbouk

jimbouk

Hardcore

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,721 posts
  • Devices:HTC Diamond
I have been with Orange for about 12 years. I was thinking about going to TMob for the unlimited data - but heard their network coverage was poor.

So was going to stay with Orange anyway - with an spv 3100 and O matching T's flext tariffs - and accepting the data charges would be slightly more (ie 5 more a month).

If this is true, then I will be happy to stay with O as they have been very good for the last 12 years with the exception of one or two CS cockups - which have all been rectified (and the various goodwill credits on my account have gone a long way to make me feel better about them).

Has anyone tried their Your Group option - with free calls between O customers in your group?

Touch HD runnign Dutty's latest rom

Dr Who

Dr Who

Timelord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,987 posts
Hmmm, this will put the cat amongst the pigeons if its true. I hope it is true because I may be able to use retentions to get a FlexT price match and decent data tariff on both my mobiles. I would need modem use though!

Edited by Dr Who, 26 July 2006 - 10:51 AM.

hotphil

hotphil

Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 846 posts
  • Devices:Wildfire
  • Twitter:@hotphil

I have been with Orange for about 12 years. I was thinking about going to TMob for the unlimited data - but heard their network coverage was poor.

It think that's a historical problem - I've certainly not had any more problems than I did with Orange.
Shame they were so slow to look at a move like this - as chucky.egg says, most people who are interested in personal data use have already gone to T-Mobile. I might have stayed with Orange if this deal had been around...

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
I've found coverage to be slightly better, but the only way to know is to try it out and see what it's like in the places you go.

spacerace

spacerace

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Devices:iphone
  • Twitter:@robgordon
god I hope this is true, and LONG overdue.... exclusion of modem and MSN use is a pain, but still a lot better than nothing. They may offer modem use later for a slightly higher fee

pisquee

pisquee

Abre Los Ojos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Devices:HTC TyTn II
This would make my 3G data card much more useful if they'd allow modem usage

I will tell you in another life when we are both cats

spacerace

spacerace

Diehard

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Devices:iphone
  • Twitter:@robgordon

This would make my 3G data card much more useful if they'd allow modem usage

I think they're referring to using a mobile phone AS a modem on a PDA or laptop (tethering). If you put the SIM straight in a data card I'm not sure how they would view that ? I can't see how they can actually tell in either case, except for the presumbably much greater data throughput of a laptop using GPRS/3G

chucky.egg

chucky.egg

Did I say that out loud?

• MoDaCo Silver
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,724 posts
Nice Avatar spacerace, where did you get that from? :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users