Customers can now get satellite navigation on their mobile phone for a pound a week - and benefit from the Wayfinder drive line service which provides users with:
* Over 750, 000 UK points of interest
* The most up-to-date information - all UK maps and points of interests updated every two weeks
* Access to global maps and street level maps in North America and Europe
* Access to future software updates
* Voice guided navigation from the phone
* Options to purchase speed camera location sites and live traffic information
Over 11,000 speed camera locations, including fixed, mobile (including free standing and speed traps), traffic light and temporary cameras are updated daily with a guaranteed 99.9% accuracy of their location. The service is provided to Wayfinder from Cyclops, an authorized supplier of this data who survey all camera sites to confirm their accuracy.
Live Traffic information is provided in association with Trafficmaster enabling users to avoid traffic congestion on UK motorways, and trunk roads.
Wayfinder drive line is now available from Orange shops priced £59.99 Customers are then charged a £1.00 per week subscription fee, exclusive of data costs which comes in addition, since Wayfinder is an offboard navigation system, which means the routes are calculated at a server and send back, via GPRS or UMTS, to the mobile phone. So you better have a data plan in place.
Wayfinder driveline is available now from all 292 Orange stores in the UK.
The advantage of an offboard system is the inclusion of map updates going forward, the disadvantage of course is the data costs (which Orange still expect you to swallow as part of this product).
Let us know what you think!
Further Information: Wayfinder[/teaser]
[Edit by Paul, prep for News Page ]