UPDATED: Developer-Hackers: Win a 2GB memory card of your choice + more

Guest PaulOBrien

Guest Paul (MVP)

Here's a bit of fun for you developer-hackers out there...

I've just got my HTC Hermes and like just about every HTC device, it has bright LEDs - my pet hate - that flash when the device is in service.

So, here's the deal...

"The first person to send me an application (ideally NOT a patched ROM image) that disables the flashing service LED (and maybe the other ones, e.g. BlueTooth too) on at least the HTC Hermes (ideally other HTC devices too), wins a 2GB memory card in the format of their choice (even microSD!) AND a money-can't-buy lifetime subscription to MoDaCo Plus."

The only caveat is that the winning entry will be distributed exclusively via MoDaCo for free.

Think you're up to it? Bring it on :)

P

Edit 1:

Solution confirmed working for Universal and Hermes. Prophet, Tornado etc. still to be tamed - prize still up for grabs!

Universal / Hermes: CAB install to disable all LEDs, GUI to follow. Reboot required after install. Simply use add-remove to revert back for now!

LightsOut___Universal___Hermes.CAB

Edit 2:

This is just a reg tweak! I'm working with a couple of people who are trying to code a solution for OMAP based devices... watch this space!

Guest conan_troutman

well first you will need a very very sharp pin inset into a good size piece of wood position carefully and hit with hammer

tada....no more flashing light....ever!!! (got to be worth a 128mb mini sd)

well as a non programmer it the best i could do

any one tried the registry

HKCU/Notifications/LED ???

also search for

Notification LED APIs

what does that control

sorry i cant be more helpfull

Edited by conan_troutman

Guest conan_troutman

I'd like to see it done then maybe a toggle made to switch them on and off so i time then off during the day say and on at night so i can find my phone in the dark

Guest Paul (MVP)

Noooooooo, that's the whole point!

They're too bright at night!

I put my phone on the bedside table and I want to sleep in the dark damn it, in the day I don't care (although it's a waste of battery)!

P

Guest conan_troutman
Noooooooo, that's the whole point!

They're too bright at night!

I put my phone on the bedside table and I want to sleep in the dark damn it, in the day I don't care (although it's a waste of battery)!

yes but with the toggle option I suggested you can have it off at night (no pun intended) and I can have it on

best for both of us you see

Guest conan_troutman

forgive me for sounding dumb but as a non programmer doesnt the registry control everything on smoe level

or are the leds controlled by there own "software"??

surely if there is no registry to control them its either a matter of creating one that does or its just not possible ?

forgive me for sounding dumb but how will I learn if I dont ask ?

Guest nedge2k

I seem to remember looking into this a while back (although I actually did want to make an led sequencer for when the phone rings :) ):

http://www.spv-developers.com/forum/showth...;highlight=leds

and if you dig a bit deeper into nled.h:

http://www.pocketpcdn.com/articles/led.html

now all I need is to be able to code in C+ and the card is mine :D

Please Note: If you use this information to make the app for Paul, you will have to cut the card in half and send one piece to me ;)

Guest Paul (MVP)

There will be a low level piece of software that is controlling the LEDs... the registry is just a 'place to store settings' that may or may not be used by pieces of software.

P

Guest peekie

Would be usefull if you have an application that allows you to switch it off and on with a nice icon in the menu as well , and not in .net as this requires the .net on the phone which uses too much of the phones memory :)

Guest conan_troutman
Would be usefull if you have an application that allows you to switch it off and on with a nice icon in the menu as well , and not in .net as this requires the .net on the phone which uses too much of the phones memory :)

er how cam I put this ....HELL YEAH!

the C++ option of using the nled.h header and associated functions seems to be a dead end

the radio stack being on seems to override whatever I set the led to :)

Guest nedge2k

prolly just an app to control the f1 sound script regedit

e.g.

f1v0pr = double led flash, vibrate for length of sound, play sound and repeat for ever

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.