Buying from ebay

Guest nforsans

Guest nforsans

Hi

i am contemplating buying a 3100 from ebay. I am worried it may be a stolen phone, and that it does not come with 12 month warranty should the device develop a fault. I am told however that the device is brand new (well, it can only be as it has just been launched).

has any of you bought a hermes from ebay (seller "madjackfan") recently? What are your impressions? And would you buy such a device from ebay, or are you worried of the lack of any warranty etc.?

Guest jimbouk

The warranty would be the issue - as Orange's T&C's may preclude passing the warranty on to a new owner.

I would check his feedback. If he's sold loads and his feedback is good, then chances are that its not nicked but your comebacks are limited if there are any problems.

Guest nforsans
Regardless, you have a 1 year warranty that HTC directly will honour.

P

even if the handset has not been sold by HTC? And I would not get a proof of purchase (with purchase date) either. i don't think HTC will agree to repair Orange-branded devices :)

even if the handset has not been sold by HTC? And I would not get a proof of purchase (with purchase date) either. i don't think HTC will agree to repair Orange-branded devices :)

HTC are the manufacturers and as such by law are required to provide a 12 month warranty on the physical aspects of their products (in the UK; I think). This does not have anything to do with who supplied you with the handset in the first place. It does not cover such things as loss, damage, theft etc which is how it differs from the cover offered by network providers such as Orange however.

Insurance != warranty, basically. You want both if possible.

HTC are the manufacturers and as such by law are required to provide a 12 month warranty on the physical aspects of their products (in the UK; I think). This does not have anything to do with who supplied you with the handset in the first place. It does not cover such things as loss, damage, theft etc which is how it differs from the cover offered by network providers such as Orange however.

Why buy from eBay when a UK supplier ,www.clove.co.uk, are selling the TyTn at a very good price and you will have no problems with warranty.

Also, am I not correct in thinking that the Orange version does not include a 'phone pad' where as the unbranded HTC Tytn does?

Andy

Guest Pondrew
Also, am I not correct in thinking that the Orange version does not include a 'phone pad' where as the unbranded HTC Tytn does?

Andy

I'm afraid you're not correct!

None of the incarnations of the HTC Hermes, including the HTC TyTN, come with Phone Pad. This was allegedly an attempt to avoid T9 licencing costs. My opinion though is that Phone Pad was and still is an essential app and that I would AVOID buying an HTC device that didn't have it in favour of a similar spec one that did.

Guest fluffcat1

http://service.htceurope.com/

As it's a new device it's fair to assume you'd get at least 11 months warranty - although the date used by HTC and the date orange or the reseller would cover it until directly might differ, and HTC's website gives a purely Yes / No response to warranty queries.

I know Nokia used to give 15 months based on seriel to allow 3 months for the phone to get sold after production - which in some cases meant you could get a handset repaired directly that was out of warranty according to your proof of purchase ;-)

Edit - as an aside, research your seller - as Orange do not provide offline devices and all orange handsets are tied to an account or supplied with a new phone number. So someone, somewhere, got this phone on a contract...

Richard

Edited by fluffcat1

I'm afraid you're not correct!

None of the incarnations of the HTC Hermes, including the HTC TyTN, come with Phone Pad. This was allegedly an attempt to avoid T9 licencing costs. My opinion though is that Phone Pad was and still is an essential app and that I would AVOID buying an HTC device that didn't have it in favour of a similar spec one that did.

I've had my v1605 a couple of weeks now and have hardly used the stylus at all. All my text input has been through the keyboard, so I don't think the lack of Phone Pad should put you off!!

The seller should send it with the invoice ... if they dont or wont then you could always insure the phone against accidental damage (or it may already be covered by your home insurance) ... if it goes wrong .... "oops i dropped it in a puddle/bath/down a well"

Guest Markee

Just to clarify...

HTC would NOT be obliged to provide a warranty, it is down to the retailer / seller.

This is because, in a buyer / seller contract, you have no contractual link with HTC, therefore the warranty will be with the seller, who in turn has bought the device from HTC, and thus the contractual chain is complete.

Hope this clarifies.

Guest jimbouk

And my tuppence worth...HTC are obliged to provide a warranty - however they are only obliged to provide said warranty only to the person they sold the device to - unless the warranty was expressly transferable and the terms of the warranty were agreed to by the new purchaser.

In normal cases, ie orange contract customer with a faulty device - would contact orange who would replace the device and orange would then send it off to HTC to be repaired or refunded to them.

With Imate, they sell the device via a retailer (ie an electronics shop in Tottenham Court Road) but their warranty is expressly included in the sale - ie he goes home and then registers his device on clubimate etc but this only applies to the first consumer. If he then sells it on, they do not have to honour the warranty to the new owner (nor do they have to provide free access to clubimate to the new owner - in fact they charge

Guest jimbouk

I sold my JAMin on ebay yesterday and the purchaser asked for the original til receipt from the retailer (which I haven;t been able to find yet). When it turns up, I will post it to him. He will then benefit from the remainder of the 12 month warranty.

I used some of the money from the JAMin's sale to buy copilot 6 on ebay today. It is described as BNIB (brand new in box) so I should be able to break the seal, and register it as mine with ALK (copilot manufacturers) in order to enjoy their warranty, technical support and updates etc.

Unfortunately as I described above an orange branded handset bought on ebay would not enjoy either of these benefits.

Guest fluffcat1
Just to clarify...

HTC would NOT be obliged to provide a warranty, it is down to the retailer / seller.

This is because, in a buyer / seller contract, you have no contractual link with HTC, therefore the warranty will be with the seller, who in turn has bought the device from HTC, and thus the contractual chain is complete.

Hope this clarifies.

We know HTCEurope will honour manufacturer's warranties on Orange and T-mobile devices without needing proof of purchase, so regardless of whether they are obliged or not to honour the warranty the fact is they do.

And my tuppence worth...HTC are obliged to provide a warranty - however they are only obliged to provide said warranty only to the person they sold the device to - unless the warranty was expressly transferable and the terms of the warranty were agreed to by the new purchaser.

In normal cases, ie orange contract customer with a faulty device - would contact orange who would replace the device and orange would then send it off to HTC to be repaired or refunded to them.

With Imate, they sell the device via a retailer (ie an electronics shop in Tottenham Court Road) but their warranty is expressly included in the sale - ie he goes home and then registers his device on clubimate etc but this only applies to the first consumer. If he then sells it on, they do not have to honour the warranty to the new owner (nor do they have to provide free access to clubimate to the new owner - in fact they charge

• 3 weeks later...
We know HTCEurope will honour manufacturer's warranties on Orange and T-mobile devices without needing proof of purchase, so regardless of whether they are obliged or not to honour the warranty the fact is they do.

In the case of i-mate they too also honour warranties based on HTC's database regardless of whether you register the pre-owned device or not. The pre-owned registration is to access technical support and obtain email facilites at the site and not for warranty reasons.

With orange, from experience, if you are a bog standard customer, within the first 6 months they swop out the handset, after 6 months they refer you to HTCEurope for repair. Orangecare is obviousuy handled differently.

Whether orange / imate are obliged to honour warranties isn't the point - the OP asked about an Orange m3100 which in the real world will be covered by HTCEurope for approx 12 months - HTC currently have no access to Orange's customer database and so cannot correlate IMEI's to owners for Orange devices. They only time you need any paperwork is if HTCeurope deem the device out of warranty and your paperwork says otherwise.

Richard

I'm sorry but if I buy a new imate from ebay (and I don't have any proof of purchase nor receipt) how can imate give you 1 year warranty? How do they know when the warranty start? Should I register on clubimate for this reason? the warranty is worldwide (I live in Canada)

Guest fluffcat1
I'm sorry but if I buy a new imate from ebay (and I don't have any proof of purchase nor receipt) how can imate give you 1 year warranty? How do they know when the warranty start? Should I register on clubimate for this reason? the warranty is worldwide (I live in Canada)

Enter your seriel at the HTC website and printout the resulting output from their database. The UK repair agent SBE has always accepted that as proof of warranty from me - but it's based on production date and not purchase so you may get less than 12 months cover if you have no official invoice.

Richard

Enter your seriel at the HTC website and printout the resulting output from their database. The UK repair agent SBE has always accepted that as proof of warranty from me - but it's based on production date and not purchase so you may get less than 12 months cover if you have no official invoice.

Richard

thank you for the advice :D