Wi-fi connection issue

Hi,

I have an i-mate SP5 and have been accessing the net no problems via wi-fi through a netgear modem/blekin wireless router set up at home for the last 6 months.

I have just purchased a Zyxel 660HW-61 Wireless modem/router, which is working exceptionally well with my laptop. I can connect no problems to the router with my SP5, however I cannot get internet access. After a 30 second "locating" message, I am informed that the page cannot be found and to check my settings.

I have checked everything I know of and still no change in the result. Can anyone help me locate the problem?

Also, from what I can tell the router is in mixed mode (b and g) and I connect properly with the phone to the router so I am assuming it is not a connection issue, but a router setting.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Stuart

make sure that you do not have a MAC address filtering system on the router but if you do need this extra security, be sure to enter the MAC address of the SP5 device

The same applies for the security encryption (WEP for example) make sure that you have entered the correct passphrase and well as the correct default transmit key, if this has been enabled

I have an imate SP5m, and a Linksys WRT54G router with these security settings on, works great (well the router is technically crap!)

Thanks for the suggestions, however I have no security enabled at all at this stage (I am turning the router off when I am not using it until I get set up and add the security after).

It's not the connection to the router that I am having difficulties with, both the router and the phone are telling me that they are connected.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest niacin65
Hi,

I have an i-mate SP5 and have been accessing the net no problems via wi-fi through a netgear modem/blekin wireless router set up at home for the last 6 months.

I have just purchased a Zyxel 660HW-61 Wireless modem/router, which is working exceptionally well with my laptop. I can connect no problems to the router with my SP5, however I cannot get internet access. After a 30 second "locating" message, I am informed that the page cannot be found and to check my settings.

I have checked everything I know of and still no change in the result. Can anyone help me locate the problem?

Also, from what I can tell the router is in mixed mode (b and g) and I connect properly with the phone to the router so I am assuming it is not a connection issue, but a router setting.

Thanks in advance for any assistance

Stuart

I had a similar issue with my cable internet provider. They were only allowing one MAC address to obtain internet access from one IP address in their database. Don't ask me how they accomplished this, but that was the case. Here's how I fixed it:

1. Called the provider and told them to release my MAC address.

2. Booted up the modem until all lights were lit solid.

3. Then booted the wireless router

4. Connected with the Smartphone or PPC, verified internet access

5. Then connected with the desktop PC or laptop

If that doesnt work, and I know this sounds crazy, put a wired router between the modem and wireless modem. Connect the modem to the WAN of the wired router, then one LAN port (1-4) of the wired router to the WAN of the wireless router. Boot the modem, the wired router, the wireless router, then smartphone, then laptop, in that order, and all devices will have access.

Guest jimbouk

You say you are connecting properly to the wlan. Have you checked you getting a valid IP address (ie something like 192.168.x.x).

Most routers act as a NAT device so the single mac address issue above shouldn't really be a problem - ie it is the only mac address shown to the ISP, all the devices on the home network are effectively hidden from the ISP. That is only an issue if you connect to your cable internet with your pc, then later add a router/wifi access point (and then most routers allow mac address spoofing - where you tell your router to show itself to the ISP with the pc's mac address).

The Zyxel is set up in infra-structure mode?

Thanks for the replies. The mac filtering is definitely off and I have confirmed with my ISP that they don't care how many connections I try to run from home.

Next question - what is infra-structure mode? I can't see any mention of this in my user manual.

The IP on my phone connection settings is 192.168.1.34, which seems correct to me.

There are some other WAN settings that mean nothing to me that I would be greatful for an explanation of and perhaps a tip on the correct setting for.

1. Multiplex - Choices; VC or LLC - Current selection; VC

2. ATM QoS type - Choices; CBR, UBR, VBR nRT or VBR RT - Current selection; UBR

3. PPPoE Pass Through - Choices; Yes or No - Current selection; No

4. Zero Configuration - Choices; Yes or No - Current selection; No

It's funny, I thought I had a fair idea of what I was doing. Now I realise that I got lucky and everything used to just work! :)

Thanks again

Stuart

Guest jimbouk
Next question - what is infra-structure mode? I can't see any mention of this in my user manual.

The IP on my phone connection settings is 192.168.1.34, which seems correct to me.

There are some other WAN settings that mean nothing to me that I would be greatful for an explanation of and perhaps a tip on the correct setting for.

there are two types of wifi access point set ups: ad hoc is just a simple connection between two machines, Infra-structure is a formal networking layout.

All the things you have asked about relate to the router and its ISP connection.

Multiplex should be set according to your ISP's settings - most UK ISP's use VC

QoS sets the queuing and stacking for the port - UBR should be fine.

PPPoE - should be no as your ISP probably uses PPPoA

Zero config just means that the router will work with most ISP's standard settings.

If you have everything right, I would guess the problem may lie with your network settings in your device. Make sure you have set your network card to connect to the internet.

Infra structure mode means that you've got an acces point (your modem-router), and several equipments onnected on (laptop, home pc, mobile...)

it's in opposition to ad-hoc (peer) mode, one device connected directly to another (like in bluetooth...)

there are ADSL settings. don't have to modify anything here, singe internet works from your computer

Edited by scudo

OK, I have done some more investigating. Yes, I am definitely in infrastructure mode and my wi fi connection is set up to connect to internet in my SP5. My laptop IP is 192.168.1.33 and the phone is 192.168.1.34, which seems fine. No other settings look out of the ordinary.

The exact error message I get in my SP5 when trying to access the net is "The page cannot be found. Check the name and try again."

Does anyone have any other ideas?

I appreciate any assistance offered so far, thanks very much.

Cheers

Stuart

Guest Stuart_f

I'm not familiar with smartphones but is there a Netmask and Gateway setting available?

Netmask should be 255.255.255.0 and gateway should be the IP address of the router, probably 192.168.1.1

Guest jimbouk

If it worked with your old router, the phone's settings should be right. One option is to reset your new router to factory settings, then try connecting to it. If that works, make the various changes you want (ie SSID, WEP, MAC) one at a time and check they dont stop the connection.

The exact error message I get in my SP5 when trying to access the net is "The page cannot be found. Check the name and try again."

Hi

one simple test.

could you test on SP5 if you could reach a web site using it's IP address instead of dns name.

for exemple, try http://66.249.85.104

for accessing www.google.com

if using IP, it works, means that you've got something wrong in DNS parameters.

- if static, it should be the IP of your router.

- if dynamic, check that router properly assign DNS server

(you can compare with config in the laptop)

Edited by scudo

Hi

one simple test.

could you test on SP5 if you could reach a web site using it's IP address instead of dns name.

for exemple, try http://66.249.85.104

for accessing www.google.com

if using IP, it works, means that you've got something wrong in DNS parameters.

- if static, it should be the IP of your router.

- if dynamic, check that router properly assign DNS server

(you can compare with config in the laptop)

Bingo! typing the IP address worked. Now I need to work out the right settings in the router and I will be fine - that should be interesting.

Thank you very much for your continued efforts, I really appreciate it.

Cheers

Stuart

Bingo! typing the IP address worked. Now I need to work out the right settings in the router and I will be fine - that should be interesting.

Hi

Ok we progress....

so now, if you have working internet from your computer, check on computer how dns is configured, and compare with your SP5. probably one is static and the other dynamic. or both static, and one wrong.

I think on the router side it's ok...

on my home, this is how all is configured (no wifi smartphone, but wifi...:D) :

- router WAN: all dynamic (ip / dns)

- router internal DHCP (LAN): assigns dyn ip and it's own IP for DNS server to the clients

- computers : ip and dns are dynamic (delivered by router)

so on computers, I've got (all settings assigned by my wifi router)

IP Address . . . . . : 192.168.1.xxx (xxx is random)

Subnet . . .

Edited by scudo

Hello again. Thanks for your patience with me. I am feeling like we are getting closer, however things are becoming less familiar and more unclear as we progress. I have even been out and cut the lawns and bought the fruit and veg since your last post, to see if things became clearer - no such luck!

I have opened the configuration page of my lan, it looks like this:

LAN_Settings.bmp

WHen I run IPCONFIG, it looks like this (no DNS server listed):

ipconfig.bmp

However, when I run IPCONFIG/ALL, it looks like this (DNS server listed):

ipconfi_all.bmp

When I look at the settings in my smartphone, I cannot see a way to configure things such as DNS, the only configurable things I see relate to security (which are currently all disabled).

As I said at the start, I am getting quite confused, any more guidance is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Stuart

Guest jimbouk

Don't know about smartphones, but on ppc's, you go to comm mgr, then wlan settings, then click menu, network card settings. THEN change to the NETWORK CARDS tab and click on the wifi card - you can then set its IP behaviour.

I imagine smartphone OS will either offer the same or you can reach your network card settings slightly differently.

Thankyou. Yes, there are some wi-fi settings that are available via the communication manager. Unfortunately none of them allow any modification of the IP behaviour.

Hopefully someone with a smartphone can assist?

Thanks again

Stuart

Hello again. Thanks for your patience with me. I am feeling like we are getting closer, however things are becoming less familiar and more unclear as we progress. I have even been out and cut the lawns and bought the fruit and veg since your last post, to see if things became clearer - no such luck!

Hello Stuart

One think i find strange in the router config (shown in Lan_setting.bmp), is that in DHCP settings primary DNS is empty/null. Try change primary DNS to 192.168.1.1 and test again.

unfortunatly I don't have wifi on my C600 to see its settings pages.. :D

btw, here is the way works wifi router :

1- router connects to ISP and get WAN (internet) settings, such as IP (&mask &gateway) and public DNS servers

2- if DHCP (dynamic configuration) is configured in router, router broadcast private settings to LAN clients, such as private IP & private DNS.

So all client configuration is provided by router.

sample settings to show how it works :

post-198514-1155984965_thumb.jpg

good debuging :D

cheers

I'm back! I can almost hear the groans :D I have spent the last few days ignoring this problem in the hope it would magically fix itself. I tried again tonight and alas it has not.

I have contacted my ISP and obtained the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses and put those in my LAN settings. Unfortunately I still cannot navigate to a page. I can still navigate to an IP address though.

Does anyone have any other ideas?

Thanks again

Stuart

Guest jimbouk

It may be down to the fiddling around you did with your network settings initially.

First thing I would try is to empty all of the temp internet files on the device.

It may be down to the fiddling around you did with your network settings initially.

First thing I would try is to empty all of the temp internet files on the device.

Done. Unfortunately still no luck. Any other ideas?

Cheers

Stuart

I have contacted my ISP and obtained the Primary and Secondary DNS addresses and put those in my LAN settings. Unfortunately I still cannot navigate to a page. I can still navigate to an IP address though.

Hi

wasn't necessary... only router need to know public dns addresses, it's on WAN settings.

in lan settings DNS address = router address normaly.

on the device, can you put manual settings for dns and try 192.168.1.1 ?

Hi

wasn't necessary... only router need to know public dns addresses, it's on WAN settings.

in lan settings DNS address = router address normaly.

on the device, can you put manual settings for dns and try 192.168.1.1 ?

Thanks again. I don't know of any way to change the dns settings in the smartphone - unless it appears in the registry?