m600 - a few useful additions

Guest drwaite

Guest drwaite

I've just received (after what seems like an eternity of waiting) an Orange M600 as an upgrade to my M500 (along with a 2GB SD). Some of the following questions were bugging me about the old handset, but as I have the new one I'm keen to get it working in the right way. There are a few questions, apologies if they're simple or have been covered elsewhere (classic newbie mistake I'm sure):

1 - Xbackup - can I run this to copy all info including texts from my old M500 to my SD card, and then download onto the M600?

2 - Did anyone successfully solve the wifi file transfer problem I saw posted the other day?

3 - How can I get all my dowloaded/synchronised emails (not just attachments) to download onto the SD card, so saving space on the phone?

4 - Does anyone have a view on the most efficient format (without too much of a quality sacrifice) for DVD to PPC movie transfer and viewing? I hear that DivX is good, but I am also hear that windows media player might be simpler to use.

5 - RSS - does anyone know how to run podcast type downloads automatically using wifi (again onto the SD card) - e.g. like Juice on my home PC?

6 - Fax - I have Orange answer fax. No one seems to be able to tell me how I can view received faxes on my M500/M600. Any ideas? Obviously sending would be great as well!

7 - I read somewhere that there is a 'key vibrate' program which provides tactile feedback when using the virtual keyboard. Anyone know where I might locate it?

Thanks in advance

I'm afraid I can only offer a couple of answers:

Firstly I have successfully connected my M600 via WiFi to router and managed to see shared folders and transfer files. I found that Resco File explorer's built in Network drive mapping tool worked really well whereas I couldn't do the same thing with the WM5 explorer.

I believe there is a freeware keyboard called D9 Dialer that vibrates when you press the buttons.

Edited by hp1

Guest jimbouk

Dont try and restore a backup from one OS to another. I have heard of this causing big problems.

Better to simply copy all your stuff onto the card or the pc and then onto the new device from there.

I think people have worked out how to store mail on the sd card, but I only store attachments (and 30 days of mail only equates to something like 1.5 mb for me)

Guest danwatson1974

I once tried to use Xbackup from an M1000 to an M200 and it broke lots of things... including the WiFi, so I wouldn't recommend it :)

As to the Answerfax facility, I don't believe that it is capable of displaying the fax on your device .... it is just a holding facility for faxes , so that you have the opportunity to choose which dedicated fax line you want them sent to. As far as i know, smartphones can't send or receive using Orange Answerfax , unfortunately.

Guest drwaite
I'm afraid I can only offer a couple of answers:

Firstly I have successfully connected my M600 via WiFi to router and managed to see shared folders and transfer files. I found that Resco File explorer's built in Network drive mapping tool worked really well whereas I couldn't do the same thing with the WM5 explorer.

I believe there is a freeware keyboard called D9 Dialer that vibrates when you press the buttons.

---------------

Thanks,

Will give those a try. The virtual keyboard is a good concept but can be annoying to use, especially when on the tube or bus...