HSDPA on Vario II

Guest Nox_UK

Guest AFK_Matrix

Thought I would just add to this that you can get HSDPA on STANDARD W'n'W.

Basically after seeing this thread I phoned Tmobile today and asked about HSDPA. The helpful lady at CS didn't seem to really know what it was all about and started to say well you would have to have the

Sorry which number/ options did u use. Did you ring upgrades or faults ?

I tried 'add a data bundle' first, which was useless, then went to Faults (other faults) and they were great. Had the extra option added within 2 minutes (though I haven't tested it yet)

Tested, and got 1.4mbps :D

Edited by rpopo

Guest wrxppp

We'll it has taken 3 days to get my Vario2 up and running for all services.

CS seem to have muddled up my request for W&W pro and I find I have the std package.

However, I am gettng 1.1 mb speed.

Now if Pro only allows the Vario2 to be used as a modem then why does the CD bundle include software to set up the phone as a PC/lappy modem?

Guest gingerprince

Have just had it added to my account ( after about 30 minutes on the phone whilst he tried to find out what I meant :D ). It's now listed on my service but speed tests still show around 300-400kbps. I presume it may take a while to propogate round cells etc so I'll try later.

To be fair to the CS guy although he didn't have a clue what I was talking about and assumed it was only available on Pro, he did persevere asking people behind the scenes when I insisted it was possible, and got there in the end!

Guest plainz

Has anyone been using normal WnW as a modem?

If that is the only difference with pro, can you get away with paying the extra 2.50 a month?

I haven't got a phone yet and will probably only use it occasionally as a laptop modem.

Has anyone had any problems if they have used Wnw (non-pro) as a modem?

I was told they can tell and it says on the internet screen if you use it for laptops.

Guest rickwookie

Look let's clear this up.

The only difference between WnW standard and pro is that pro 'allows' modem use.

To all those asking does that mean they can use standard as a modem, well possibly, but you'll be breaching T-Mobiles terms of use. We can all download loads of illegal software with the device too, but it doesn't make it 'right'. It's up to you I guess.

It makes sense for T-Mobile to expect much higher bandwidth usage when the device is used as a modem since there's so much more you can still do with a standard PC. Example, I tried watching an episode of Dragons Den from the BBC website on my Vario II and it was oh so nearly there, but not quite yet (maybe the Vario III :D ). So they charge more for this, fair enough, the choice is yours, just don't complain if they DO find out and cut you off. It's not like

Guest wrxppp
Look let's clear this up.

The only difference between WnW standard and pro is that pro 'allows' modem use.

To all those asking does that mean they can use standard as a modem, well possibly, but you'll be breaching T-Mobiles terms of use. We can all download loads of illegal software with the device too, but it doesn't make it 'right'. It's up to you I guess.

It makes sense for T-Mobile to expect much higher bandwidth usage when the device is used as a modem since there's so much more you can still do with a standard PC. Example, I tried watching an episode of Dragons Den from the BBC website on my Vario II and it was oh so nearly there, but not quite yet (maybe the Vario III :D ). So they charge more for this, fair enough, the choice is yours, just don't complain if they DO find out and cut you off. It's not like

Guest solarflare

I did a speed test earlier and got 400kbps. seems a little high for just 3g but I guess it could've been an inaccurate test. it was the test at zdnet.. I don't have link atm. i'm on WnW standard, haven't called up about hsdpa yet.

Guest mma godlike

Called and got HSDPA added! Took about 5 minutes with the guy putting me on hold a few times.

I wouldnt have known about this if I had not have visited these forums so I'd like to thank all you guys.

Otherwise I would have been surfing on a much lower speed!

Are they planning to add HSDPA to ALL Vario 2 users in the future or do you have to ask for it?

Guest newmoomin

I have heard all sorts of differnet things about W&W pro and teh standard w&W. One CS guy told me that standard had a soft limit of 40mb and that the 2GB limit only applies to the W&W Pro!

Also I have been told that its not just the modem use thats different. The

Guest ElBaron
Called and got HSDPA added! Took about 5 minutes with the guy putting me on hold a few times.

I wouldnt have known about this if I had not have visited these forums so I'd like to thank all you guys.

Otherwise I would have been surfing on a much lower speed!

Are they planning to add HSDPA to ALL Vario 2 users in the future or do you have to ask for it?

I'll be honest, I work for t-mobile and I didn't know that.

The ONLY difference between W&W and W&W pro that Customer Services have been made aware of is that with the pro your allowed to use the phone as a modem, if they catch you using the phone as a modem on normal W&W they can decreased your speeds but to be honest i'm not sure how they can track each individuals usage enough to decide whether it's being use as a phone or modem.

Guest randomelements

I just rang and was put through to someone on the technical team by CS and he said that you DID have to go to WnW Pro in order to get HSDPA!

GRRR!!!

Guest fozzie
I just rang and was put through to someone on the technical team by CS and he said that you DID have to go to WnW Pro in order to get HSDPA!
...which is rubbish, as previously posted :D

Guest AFK_Matrix

GRRR!!!

Thats what the women I phoned up started off saying, but I insisted that she speak to or that I be put through to a technical guy. She put me on hold, came back said all the tec guys were busy but someone would phone me back. 1 hr later she phoned me back saying that HSDPA had been added to my account and yesturday I was in a 3G area did a speed test and got 1.4mbps :D. So just phone up again and be a little insistant and ask to speak to a technical guy about it.

Guest AndrewH13

Had a speed of 1.2 megabits per second which I thought was good seeing a previous poster on these forums showing webpage from www.bandwidthplace.com, but t-m confirmed im not on HDPSA, then activated (now showing on account) but still connecting via GPRS (not receiving in my area I assume).

Is it 1.8 megabits or in fact 1.8 megabytes maximum of HDPDA?

Guest emyllis

now is there a map with where 3G is good? I live in Coventry and have today struggled to get ANY signal for 3G - thus downloading has taken for ever - literally a few k a second (on gprs I assume). I think that's not right as web and walk should be faster!

Would getting this HDPDA resolve any issues I have?

Cheers

Guest AFK_Matrix
now is there a map with where 3G is good? I live in Coventry and have today struggled to get ANY signal for 3G - thus downloading has taken for ever - literally a few k a second (on gprs I assume). I think that's not right as web and walk should be faster!

Would getting this HDPDA resolve any issues I have?

Cheers

If you do a search on google for tmobile 3g coverage there should be some maps etc. If you don't have 3G in your arear HSDPA won't help you as this service is only on there 3G network, its like an upgrade to 3G. Its the same with me mate I have no 3G in my area just GPRS but when I visited my nearest large town I did get 3G and thats where I got my 1.4mbps speeds.

Guest StuBFrost

I sent an email through the "Contact Us" section of T-Mobile to ask for the upgrade and got an email back saying that I was on the wrong Web'N'Walk price plan for the upgrade.

Why is customer services saying no to requests but technical support are saying yes ?. If that isn't the case, then why is there such a mixed message from customer services ?

Guest randomelements
So just phone up again and be a little insistant and ask to speak to a technical guy about it.

Annoyingly, that was a tech guy who told me that :D I'll try again and see if I can get through to someone else.