Using a non T-Mobile HTTP proxy

Guest julianmclean

Guest julianmclean

Edit by Paul (MVP): Split from HSDPA topic

...If its just web, could this be something to do with T-mobs proxy servers? Can we change proxy like has been done with DNS, or are we forced through T-mob's?

Also having real problems with the web. DNS changes helped the locating bit, but they've obviously got wider network problems. Hopefully just a temporary blip.

Guest Paul (MVP)

OK, so this is interesting, using a HTTP proxy plus the Level3 DNS servers my web access is stupidly fast!

:D

The only problem will be, finding a reliable proxy server to use.

It does look like a T-Mobile transparent proxy could be having issues tho?

Weirdly, content lock still blocks content even using a HTTP proxy, although it gives a messaging saying it can't identify what number you are using :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

Anyone who is technically able want to try it out? Uber-caveats with this one.

- Select Start

- Select 'Settings'

- Select 'Connections'

- Select 'Connections'

- Select 'Advanced'

- Select 'Select Networks'

- Select the top 'New' button

- Give it a name (e.g. 'Proxy test')

- Click the 'Modem' Tab

- Click 'New'

- Enter a name, e.g. 'T-Mobile GPRS Test'

- Select 'Cellular Line GPRS' from the drop down list

- Select 'Next'

- Enter the Access Point Name as 'general.t-mobile.uk'

- Enter the user name 'user'

- Enter the password 'one2one'

- Click 'Advanced'

- Click 'Servers'

- Enter the DNS servers 4.2.2.1 and 4.2.2.2

- Select OK

- Press 'Finish'

- Click the 'Proxy Settings' Tab

- Click 'This network connects to the internet'

- Click 'This network uses a proxy server to connect to the internet'

- Click Advanced

HERE YOU NEED TO ENTER THE PROXY DETAILS

For test details, i'm using the PlanetLabs proxy with IP 194.80.38.242 on port 3128. It's only suitable for test however, and might not give a true respresentation of speed improvements with a better proxy. Running one on a home or hosted machine would be one option.

- After entering the details, click 'OK'.

- Ensure that in the top drop down box your new network is selected.

- Disconnect your existing connection

- Try browsing! You should get the PlanetLabs welcome page first, then you should be able to browse.

Finally, report findings, and we can determine whether it's going to be worth maybe setting up a proxy for MoDaCo users, or doing some sort of guide.

Phew! :D

P

Guest julianmclean

Paul, just been trying this, but being very, very slow. When you added the proxy server, did you add it as HTTP, and then just enter the IP and port with no user/pass/domain?

I think I might try using my work proxy servers, although they may only be visible internally or when VPN'ed in.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Correct, that's what I did.... and it's nice and fast for me.

Did you get the PlanetLabs splash page? That's what will confirm that you are using the proxy server.

P

Guest rickwookie

Can't run a bandwidthplace speedtest through that proxy. Get:

'You are trying to use a node of the CoDeeN CDN Network. Your IP address is not recognized as a valid PlanetLab address, so your access to CoDeeN does not include all HTTP types'

General browsing seems a lot more consistent though. Much less getting stuck on 'Opening...'.

[Edit:] Can't seem to follow any hyperlink now. Just getting 'You are trying to use a node of the CoDeeN CDN Network. While the Host header is generally optional for HTTP, it is required for CoDeeN. Furthermore, numerical hostnames are not allowed. Please add this header and try again.'

Edited by rickwookie

Guest Paul (MVP)

Also, if you point your phone at http://www.showmyip.com, you should see your address resolves to at planetlabs hostname.

I've tried the proxy in my desktop browser to check the speed, and it should be fast enough to max out the mobile connection IMHO.

P

Guest Paul (MVP)
Can't run a bandwidthplace speedtest through that proxy. Get:

'You are trying to use a node of the CoDeeN CDN Network. Your IP address is not recognized as a valid PlanetLab address, so your access to CoDeeN does not include all HTTP types'

General browsing seems a lot more consistent though. Much less getting stuck on 'Opening...'.

Yeah, that proxy has it's limits, but i've posted that more as a 'let's see if changing the proxy makes a difference' rather than 'hey, let's all starting using this proxy!'

P

Guest julianmclean

I'm not sure I've done this right. I'm not seeing the PlanetLabs splash page. When I try to open a page, I get the bubble telling me its trying to connect to "T-Mobile GPRS Test", but it hangs for a few seconds. Then it seems to connect, but when I looks back at the bubble it lists "T-Mobile" and "T-Mobile GPRS Test", so I think it is reverting to the normal settings. Any ideas?

Excellent - glad to see there's a viable workaround. Unfortunately, I'm at work and googling "Free proxy server" seems to come up with loads of sites that are on the work blacklist, so I can't find any alternative ones.

How about getting T-mobile to fix the problem at their end? - has anyone got a fast-track to their tech support, to atleast alert them to the problem (although I'm sure they're already aware)

I would hope that they can add some bigger boxes etc. at their end.

Also, is their an option anywhere to not use any proxy server at all?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've been captcha'd too now.

julianmclean, have you tried a soft reset? I had to do that to get it to pick up the settings fully i think.

Since you selected the GPRS Test in that drop down, it shouldn't even think about connecting to the other one (assuming you did it right of course!) :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

I'm not 100% sure they are using a proxy, but it seems that way.

It'll be a 'transparent proxy', which means you can't avoid it.

Yes, open proxies are a very dodgy subject, and you're theoretically stealing someone's bandwidth if you use their open proxy.

One solution would be for me to hire a server, put a proxy (such as SQUID) on it, and make it available, say, as a Plus benefit.

I want to be really really really sure it is worthwhile first tho, and whether people want it :D

P

Guest Paul (MVP)

I wonder if there are multiple T-Mobile proxies internally, and if we can point at a different one?

Goodness knows how we'd find that out without an insider. Probably not information they'd want in the public domain either :D

P

Guest julianmclean
julianmclean, have you tried a soft reset? I had to do that to get it to pick up the settings fully i think.

Since you selected the GPRS Test in that drop down, it shouldn't even think about connecting to the other one (assuming you did it right of course!) :D

Yeah, did a reset, but didn't seem to help. I know what you mean - strange that it seems to have both going on at the same time. The bubble actually says:

---

T-Mobile

T-Mobile GPRS Test Connected

---

Does this mean that only the second is actually being used?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I've had a new idea... i'm going to hook up to T-Mo with my WnW Pro data card this afternoon, and see if I can work out what's going on proxy wise, and how we can improve things.

Damn I love my job :D

P

Guest adchaffey

Paul, or anybody....

Can you post a link to the thread about changing the DNS servers used by my Vario. I've heard it improves the time to locate sites, but can't find the thread for the life of me!!