High capacity battery?

Guest peekbee

Guest jimbouk

Haven't tried that one but I had a chat with Lion Batteries and they said:

"Yes, we are developing this battery now, althought the Hermes battery bay is same as VX6700 but Hermes PDA design will let us make a higher capacity and thinner battery. In the meantime, the HLI-O2MPSL battery will fit the Hermes now while we wait for our new extended battery. The battery will also fit the TYTN, Hermes, Oranges SPV M3100, Cingular 8525 (US market), Vario II (HSDPA version) & Imate JASJAM."

So I am going to wait for their next one - I dont want one that needs a customer battery cover and thus makes the device deeper.

Guest jimbouk

They are suggesting one that is just a few hundred mah higher than the standard one, so probably that one will only last a few more hours (say 10% longer) but working on a bigger ones.

The biggest one they supply for other devices is a 4800mah which lasts about four days in those devices - the trouble is they come with a custom battery cover and it makes the device another 10mm deeper!

Correct me if im wrong but the current battery for the vario 2 is 1350mah right so if they made one the same capacity as the extended vario 1 battery ie 2800mah it would be well worth it as thats over double the capacity. for me that would me my phone would last 4-5 days with normal usage and minimal WIFI (hardly use wifi as i have 100% 3g reception in the house) so web and email is quick (1.1 mbit HSDPA).

but i think id only get it if the battery cover and battery did not make it a hell of a lot thicker.

that 4800mah one is HUGE both capacity and size thats something one invests in if they are travelling for like a week and/or want to use wifi ALL day long without worrying.

nice to have but reckon it would just be too big to think about if they made a version of it.

Any idea how much extended batteries like the 2800mah one or around would cost

JEREMY

• 2 weeks later...

I'm desperate for a higher rated baattery. Currently my battery doesn't last the whole day and I have to top it up throughout the day on USB. Having said that I use the phone a hell of a lot. Always on 3G and pulling email and browsing. And I use it as a phone a lot too!

can't wait for a double capacity battery...

or alternatively... a spare battery with an external charging docking station... like the pdas of old...

Edited by Saif

Guest danktuft

My battery has just gone from fully charged at 7 pm last night to critically low at 3.30am this morning. No calls, WiFi, Bluetooth, literally just sitting there. What gives?

that sounds like you had some program like msn or skype running in the background that did not let the vario II go to sleep or standby mode all night so it used up all its battery.

go into running programs and see what you have running

JEREMY

Guest danktuft

There's nothing apart from Activesync, would that eat the battery if it was trying to communicate with the Exchange Server every 2 hours? It won't actually be able to do it because I can't get web access where I live.

not sure probably not.

try charging it up again and see if it happens again every now and then go into running programs and see if anything is running the background and make sure you turn it off (as in standby ) from the power button after youve done that.

no one else has reported this and to be fair my battery life has never had this so i think it must be something stopping the vario II from going to sleep mode

JEREMY

Guest danktuft
My battery has just gone from fully charged at 7 pm last night to critically low at 3.30am this morning. No calls, WiFi, Bluetooth, literally just sitting there. What gives?

This has happened again. Came upstairs at 12.30am and unplugged the phone on the way up. It was fully charged. Down to 60% now, the only app running is Activesync. I don't know about you lot but I don't leave the house without a USB cable so I can top up during the day, I don't think the battery would last a working day without a top up. :rolleyes:

Guest richard_d
This has happened again. Came upstairs at 12.30am and unplugged the phone on the way up. It was fully charged. Down to 60% now, the only app running is Activesync. I don't know about you lot but I don't leave the house without a USB cable so I can top up during the day, I don't think the battery would last a working day without a top up. :rolleyes:

It sounds like a faulty battery to me - from leaving work at 5 on a Friday I don't charge again until 9 on a Monday morning - yes by then I'm getting a low battery warning with 10-20% power, but that's with a fair bit of usage over the weekend.

Richard

Theres no way my phone would last the whole weekend... you either don't use the phone much or I've got a really dodgy battery.

A full charge in the morning should get me through to late afternoon... but I usually top up via USB during the day...

Having said that I'm on 3G all the time and checking email every 10 mins. Also, make a lot of calls and play about on wireless a little too...

so... I guess I'm using a lot of power hungry elements of the chip as well as applications

BRING ON THE HIGH CAPACITY BATTERY!!!

Guest richard_d
Theres no way my phone would last the whole weekend... you either don't use the phone much or I've got a really dodgy battery.

A full charge in the morning should get me through to late afternoon... but I usually top up via USB during the day...

Having said that I'm on 3G all the time and checking email every 10 mins. Also, make a lot of calls and play about on wireless a little too...

so... I guess I'm using a lot of power hungry elements of the chip as well as applications

BRING ON THE HIGH CAPACITY BATTERY!!!

I must admit I don't use bluetooth or wi-fi over the weekend, and probably only make half a dozen short calls. As to 3G I'm in and out of it - more out than in sadly! But I probably browse the Internet for 2-3 hours over the two days - maybe take half a dozen photos - have pop email set to check every 20 mins and check the device for email pretty regularly. I probably spend 30 mins using other apps. I don't consider myself a heavy user - but am surprised that on a full charge it won't get people through 24 hrs.

Richard

See that is most odd for me I get sort of a similar scenario to richard_d

I hardly ever use wifi as I have 100% 3g reception with HSDPA where I live.

but I've got three accounts being checked by pocket outlook every 15 mins and I've got a lot of other apps that auto update.

I use bluetooth a hell of a lot in fact I hardly ever use the phone without my bluetooth headset.

I make a few calls a day and web browse at least a couple of hours a day.

most times unless I've been on the phone for hours a single charge just gets me through two days. e.g. now I've used my phone all day and there is 50% battery left. (i turn my phone off when I sleep though) so that much battery should get me through tomorrow fine.

I too think either you use wifi a hell of a lot or your battery is faulty.

not that I'm saying I won't jump at the chance to buy an extended battery when it comes available if its like 2800 mah or something. but your scenario is odd.

Jeremy

Just thought of something its a stupid question but do you have the backlight set to the lowest possible setting it will go before it turns off ie one off from the last.

if not that might be the really simple reason why you battery does not last throughout the day. on the other hand your problems seem to be if its left on all night and presumably the screen off. so its probably not this

JEREMY

Guest gruff101

My last phone was also giving out a large amount of heat. Since I received my replacement handset the battery life is alot better. Plus the heat issue has been resolved. I guess I just got a defective handset.

Guest 2004mark

My battery will last at least 24 hours and sometimes 48 when not using wifi.

IMO it's the wifi that runs the battery down. I can almost watch the battery meter fall when wifi is on - even if I'm not transferring any data.

I've just had my phone on me today (as I was getting my number ported), and noticed the battery life was shocking. Took it off charge at 6am, had about 20 mins browsing the web on the way to Portsmouth, two 5 minute calls, and about 20 mins browsing the web on the way back, and it's down to 20%. That's with wifi and bluetooth disabled. Should I be concerned about having a faulty unit, or do I need to 'initialise' it with a few full discharge/recharge cycles?

I've just had my phone on me today (as I was getting my number ported), and noticed the battery life was shocking. Took it off charge at 6am, had about 20 mins browsing the web on the way to Portsmouth, two 5 minute calls, and about 20 mins browsing the web on the way back, and it's down to 20%. That's with wifi and bluetooth disabled. Should I be concerned about having a faulty unit, or do I need to 'initialise' it with a few full discharge/recharge cycles?

My vario ii was very poor on battery at the start. now it is much better (1 week in). currently at 36 no charge and 50% battery. been making calls, using net but no bluetooth or wifi. In fact i'm writing this on it.

to the guy going to portsmouth it sounds like yours is faulty. as an example let me tell you what I did today. I spent over 50 mins on the phone did a lot of web browsing About 2 hours. listened to music while web browsing also about 2 hours and had it on all day receiving emails. also sent about 12 texts and the battery is now at 40%

but tbf my battery life did improve after a few charges

still want a high capacity battery though any news on one for the vario 2?

Jeremy