Vario III (Hermes replacement) predictions ?Oka

Guest richard_d

Guest richard_d

Okay - incase any of you are already bored of your new toys :D I thought I'd see where people see this form of device going.

So what will the replacement bring - realistically or ideally?

I'll kick off with my guesses:

QVGA screen

3.2mp Camera

Faster processor

The other question is when?

Richard

Guest Confucious

QVGA? You mean the same as the Vario II then?

Screen size is my biggest complaint the VGA screen on the Universal is great, so.....

VGA Screen

Faster processor,

More memory

Smaller size

Standard headphone socket

Memory card format that supports large memory - by the time it comes out microSD will probably have large enough capacity so don'then change to a new format (nanoSD?)

That would do to start. :D

Guest randomelements

VGA would definitely be a plus and the faster processor/more memory are just a given.

I doubt that HTC will go back to a standard headphone jack as they has specifically made the move to the mini USB format - we'll probably see more of the same there.

What would be nice is some form of onboard flash ram to negate the need for an external memory card.

Well i look at it two ways

First realistically

All the below in 12 months time (so by the time my 18 month contract ends they have released it on t-mobile and fixed all the bugs)

QVGA

3.2 MPX with dual focus like current model

Thinner

Better video recording due to processor and camera improvements

USB host

USB 2 support (damn copying over 1 gb of files over usb 1.1 via activesync)

Faster processor (or just newer incarnation with multimedia extensions kinda of thing)

Integrated graphics chip (better than current ATI one)

3g HSDPA/HSUPA

WIFI b/g

WPA2 PSK support

All the umts and general phone stuff in one chip to save on power

Bigger battery 1500MAH at least

MicroSD

Stereo Speakers

A2DP/AVRCP

Flash memory integrated (1 gb would be sooo welcome heck anything beyond the 128 mb)

Then Ideally

VGA

GPS (assisted or quick)

3.2Mpx with autofocus

Two LEDs lamps for the camera (i use mine as a torch a lot so more brightness would be welcomed)

Stereo Speakers

A2DP/AVRCP

3.5 mm socket for headphones

4gb or more flash memory intergrated

VGA video recording at 25-30 FPS

Thinner yet same size for the height width

Faster processor

USB Host

USB 2 support

Integrated graphics chip (maybe the new ATI or nvidia top of the range)

Lower power consumption

3g HSDPA/HSUPA

WIFI B/G/N

WPA2 PSK or whatever the latest one is

Bigger battery

MicroSD (face it just never going to go up a size now are they)

Not wanting much am I hehehehe

JEREMY

Edited by Guest

Guest richard_d
Well i look at it two ways

First realistically

All the below in 12 months time (so by the time my 18 month contract ends they have released it on t-mobile and fixed all the bugs)

QVGA

3.2 MPX with dual focus like current model

Thinner

Better video recording due to processor and camera improvements

USB host

USB 2 support (damn copying over 1 gb of files over usb 1.1 via activesync)

Faster processor (or just newer incarnation with multimedia extensions kinda of thing)

Integrated graphics chip (better than current ATI one)

3g HSDPA/HSUPA

WIFI b/g

WPA2 PSK support

All the umts and general phone stuff in one chip to save on power

Bigger battery 1500MAH at least

MicroSD

Stereo Speakers

A2DP/AVRCP

Flash memory integrated (1 gb would be sooo welcome heck anything beyond the 128 mb)

Then Ideally

VGA

GPS (assisted or quick)

3.2Mpx with autofocus

Two LEDs lamps for the camera (i use mine as a torch a lot so more brightness would be welcomed)

Stereo Speakers

A2DP/AVRCP

3.5 mm socket for headphones

4gb or more flash memory intergrated

VGA video recording at 25-30 FPS

Thinner yet same size for the height width

Faster processor

USB Host

USB 2 support

Integrated graphics chip (maybe the new ATI or nvidia top of the range)

Lower power consumption

3g HSDPA/HSUPA

WIFI B/G/N

WPA2 PSK or whatever the latest one is

Bigger battery

MicroSD (face it just never going to go up a size now are they)

Not wanting much am I hehehehe

JEREMY

Jeremy,

I'll take the second option as a free upgrade in 18 months :D

Richard

id take the second one too even if it wasnt a free upgrade :D

on the other hand if the first one was available on T-mobile I probably would not jump at it unless it was a free upgrade cos the processor on the vario II is fine the screen would be the same battery is fine wifi is fine only thing i might like is better camera and/or video but can live without that. USB 2 would be nice but ive gotten used to taking the memory card out of the vario II and into the card reader if i want to copy stuff across thats big (loads of mp3s etc)

I would be tempted if they included a lot of flash say 1-4 gb but had the rest of the specs the same as the vario II cos then i would use my memory card 2gb and the inbuilt and be a very happy bunny and if the included GPS along with the flash memory even if everything else was the same as the vario II id probably get it.

JEREMY

Or the other case could be no vario 3 , it depends how popular the upcoming phones are , at the moment the sliding keyboard is popular maybe next year it could be a feature that knowone wants and no network will release or invest in a phone knowone wants the smartphone /pda market changes so much , with the upcoming release of pda phones with gps , i think they will destroy any chance of a vario3 coming , guess we all will have to wait and enjoy our new hermes phones as for an upgrade it would have to have mega improvements , probably when windows mobile 6 is released , it would then be woth the money in getting a newer ppc phone :D

Guest richard_d
Or the other case could be no vario 3 , it depends how popular the upcoming phones are , at the moment the sliding keyboard is popular maybe next year it could be a feature that knowone wants and no network will release or invest in a phone knowone wants the smartphone /pda market changes so much , with the upcoming release of pda phones with gps , i think they will destroy any chance of a vario3 coming , guess we all will have to wait and enjoy our new hermes phones as for an upgrade it would have to have mega improvements , probably when windows mobile 6 is released , it would then be woth the money in getting a newer ppc phone :D

Perhaps the Vario 3 will be little different, other than having GPS?

Ah well I've got 17 months before I can upgrade anyway, and there's nothing with the Vario II that really bugs me, and lots that I like a lot.

Guest FragMeister

This is already in the pipeline, and it's the HTC Herald:

same specs as the Hermes, including the slide out keyboard, but only 17mm thick.

- as long as this DOES materialise, as i've heard nothing of this device since about February time.

To be fair hermes but thin (with keyboard though i find it indespensible) and with GPS might just be enough to tempt me but not for another 17 months How thick is the hermes out of interest??

Only other thing that might really tempt me beyond flash memory is a serious upgrade and change to windows mobile with a whole new os on the herald or Like

all the rest is in my thread above

On another note any updates on TCPMP or is that still the 10th cant wait to be able to play stuff at more than 69% speed on my hermes (which is should be able to considering it can on the wizard)

JEREMY

Edited by Guest

Guest richard_d
To be fair hermes but thin (with keyboard though i find it indespensible) and with GPS might just be enough to tempt me but not for another 17 months How thick is the hermes out of interest??

Only other thing that might really tempt me beyond flash memory is a serious upgrade and change to windows mobile with a whole new os on the herald or Like

all the rest is in my thread above

On another note any updates on TCPMP or is that still the 10th cant wait to be able to play stuff at more than 69% speed on my hermes (which is should be able to considering it can on the wizard)

JEREMY

I must admit I don't mind the size of the device (and like the slight heft in the hand). I bought the device largely because of the keyboard - which I like a lot, but I'm pleasantly surprised at how good the stylus input is (it's the first stylus device I've owned) and if come upgrade (can't see me justifying a new device before the end of the contract) it's a choice between a device with a keyboard or a better device in other ways that lacks the keyboard I would at least consider sacrificing the keyboard (although I'd rather I didn't have to).

Richard

• 10 months later...
Guest pd.ryder

Not so sure about more megapixels for the camera but HTC desperately need to sort out the metering abilities of the camera software - it really is pants - and a bigger pic that's still pants ain't worth having.

USB2 has to happen and a 3.5mm headphone socket would make it soooo much better. Current wifi arrangements seem satisfactory as it will handle WPA PSK as it is.

I like the sliding keyboard and would prefer to keep it, although a decent voice recognition typing system would be ace :) (one that doesn't suffer from background noise problems, of course!)

How about utilizing a version of these flexible screen films that are currently in development? A pull-out screen of 3x4 inches should do the trick - just for watching movies and/or streaming websites. A smaller slave screen for general phone info would be needed too :P

Faster, smaller, lighter is a given, as is lower power consumption particularly when connected to 3G and wifi which eats the current battery very quickly.

I'm sure I'll think of something else...

;)

Guest pd.ryder
How about you visit kaiser.modaco.com and see what it'll actually be. No need for speculation any more. :)

Hmm, not quite so much fun tho, is it??

No harm in pushing the boundaries, eh?

:P