Crashing M3100 - The cause

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest MARKUKCOUK

OK, I've been messing and playing with my M3100 over the weekend and I think I've narrowed down the crashing problems.

It's either:

Batti

Phone Pad

SIPChange

I have a feeling its the phone pad (it seems very flakey as to whether it works properly anyway), but it could also be a problem with SPB Pocket Plus, and its own battery monitor (despite being turned off).

Anyway, I have SPB Pocket Plus, Imageer, Weather and GPRS Monitor, with vistabliss theme and orange phone skin, and now have no crashes, not even when left charging overnight.

I will try and narrow it down further, firstly by reinstalling Batti.

Can anyone else narrow it down further?

Guest Paul (MVP)

I don't really feel a need for Pocket Plus now.

Batti + Magic Button + PHM Tools + PIEPlus give me all the functionality I used in Pocket Plus, and in a lot of cases better!

P

OK, I've been messing and playing with my M3100 over the weekend and I think I've narrowed down the crashing problems.

It's either:

Batti

Phone Pad

SIPChange

I have a feeling its the phone pad (it seems very flakey as to whether it works properly anyway), but it could also be a problem with SPB Pocket Plus, and its own battery monitor (despite being turned off).

Anyway, I have SPB Pocket Plus, Imageer, Weather and GPRS Monitor, with vistabliss theme and orange phone skin, and now have no crashes, not even when left charging overnight.

I will try and narrow it down further, firstly by reinstalling Batti.

Can anyone else narrow it down further?

I don't have any of those installed but mine crashes from time to time. Im pretty sure mine is down to Agile Messenger.

It's either:

Batti

Phone Pad

SIPChange

Of those I only have Phonepad installed (OS 5.1.195, Build 14955.2.3.0 if that makes sense) on my Vario II ROM and its fine. I thought Batti had implicated by other people for the non waking up issue.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Which version of Phone Pad is it? (go to the about screen and there's a version / build number in there)

P

Its the version off XDA Devs (not allowed to link obviously)

The version is......

Pocket PC Version 1.0 Build 22364

I can keep it installed, but disabled (And sipchange set to something else).

I think you've actually shown the problem with none-pocket plus yourself...

Why install so many apps, rather than just Pocket Plus.

Anyway, thats something different.

I think its either the phone pad then, or a problem between batti and pocket plus.

The vistabliss theme is awesome by the way.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Pocket PC Version 1.0 Build 22364

I can keep it installed, but disabled (And sipchange set to something else).

I think you've actually shown the problem with none-pocket plus yourself...

Why install so many apps, rather than just Pocket Plus.

That build of Phone Pad is not your problem.

Batti is not your problem.

Regards Pocket Plus v my setup, 'jack of all trades master of none' :D

P

Guest MARKUKCOUK
That build of Phone Pad is not your problem.

Batti is not your problem.

Regards Pocket Plus v my setup, 'jack of all trades master of none' :D

P

then sipchange is?

I'm confused Paul. While I want to agree with you.. the fact is, my crashtastic M3100 now doesn't crash having removed batti, phone pad and sipchange....

I feel like you are hinting that Pocket Plus is a problem... but its still installed and the crashes have stopped.

I'll look into the other apps you mentioned, but Pocket Plus is surely the easiest setup, install and go.

hey one other thing - Pocket Mini Golf 2 which you mention as a favoruite - crashes after running for about 10 seconds. I've not tried this since removing the other bits, but it really did crash WITHOUT FAIL everytime previously.

Edited by MARKUKCOUK

How did you find that? I couldn't see any way of getting it!

I mean I have phonepad installed it but I can't figure out how to get the version number. It will be the same though........

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Sorry Paul, but at least for me, its Batti that is causing the problem for me.

Installed it again last night, and woke up this morning to another hung M3100. Uninstalled it again, and I'm confident it'll be fine.

It could be an incompatibility with something else, but uninstalling batti certainly fixes it for me.

Guest cseilern
Sorry Paul, but at least for me, its Batti that is causing the problem for me.

Installed it again last night, and woke up this morning to another hung M3100. Uninstalled it again, and I'm confident it'll be fine.

It could be an incompatibility with something else, but uninstalling batti certainly fixes it for me.

i'm with paul on this - very very probably NOT Batti. I have it had no crashes (some very weird alarm behaviour, but no crashes...).

i was amazed though by just how WM5 incompatible some apps were in anything bu their latest versions. I only use 5 or 6 apps on my device, but at least 2 or 3 had to be updated to latest verisions when i transitioned from magician to hermes. you may want to check verssion on everything you have installed.

Guest Syphon Filter
i'm with paul on this - very very probably NOT Batti. I have it had no crashes (some very weird alarm behaviour, but no crashes...).

i was amazed though by just how WM5 incompatible some apps were in anything bu their latest versions. I only use 5 or 6 apps on my device, but at least 2 or 3 had to be updated to latest verisions when i transitioned from magician to hermes. you may want to check verssion on everything you have installed.

No one is saying that Batti ALONE is the cause.

Batti coupled with other things can cause an issue. For me it was SPB Pocket Plus and Batti in conjunction.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
No one is saying that Batti ALONE is the cause.

Batti coupled with other things can cause an issue. For me it was SPB Pocket Plus and Batti in conjunction.

which I have both. and SPB Pocket Plus is a lot more important to me than Batti.

I don't mean to sound ignorant towards anyone, but the fact is, if batti is installed... it crashes. if it isnt installed... it doesnt.

Guest Syphon Filter
which I have both. and SPB Pocket Plus is a lot more important to me than Batti.

I don't mean to sound ignorant towards anyone, but the fact is, if batti is installed... it crashes. if it isnt installed... it doesnt.

Indeed. Batti itself works fine i think, as Paul and others would testify. But there is definitely an issue when other things are installed too.

I thikn it's more to do with WHERE You install the apps to than the apps themselves.

When I first got my 3100 I installed Batti, TomTom and Agile Messenger. I'd find that when i came to my phone in the morning it would have hung, that really bugged me. Kept happening evern after i uninstalled tmotom + agile.

So I did a full factory reset, left phone, 3 days no crash at all. Then I slowly (1 a day) started installing apps, so far I have Batti and Agil installed, but this time, instead of installing to memory card (1GB sandisk microSD) I installed them both to phone memory. Now i've not had a single crash on the phone, been fine every morning when i get to it. I've not reinstalled TomTom yet, i can live without that for a few weeks but certainly the phone's a lot more stable since I installed stuff to the phone memory and not SD card.

So if you're having problems, have you tried installing your programs to phone memory instead?

Ooh jus thinking, one thing i also did this time was say "NO" to the message about do i want to save pictures + messages to my memory card when the phone prompted me.

Hope it helps someone

I couldn't get Batti from hogging the notification soft button when something new comes in, so it went in the bin. Battery monitor in spb PP is simpler and works and doesn't try to be too much.

Found Magic Button turd n'all cos it wouldn't change colour to match the background bar, and hence left a lighter coloured square in the top right, so that went in the bin n'all.

Can't fault spb, especially with its integration with Weather and Time (although personally don't like time on Today screen as its a realestate monster).