Crashing M3100 - The cause

Guest MARKUKCOUK

Guest Kallisti

I'd like to formally accuse Batti too.. Was almost at the stage of sending the phone back, uninstalled it and it's fine now, no problems (well, several problems, but not of the phone locking up)...

I've other things installed, but Batti was all I removed to fix the situatino (and it's hogging of "Notification" was a deal killer anyway)

Everyone here has the phone crashing/freezing/sleep of death to varying degrees of seriousness. But at least you guys seemed to have solved the issue. My device from day one has crashed an average of 3 times a day & still doing so right now.

Upon reading about the users with the same problem I assumed it was a piece of software I loaded so I did a hard reset & loded apps one at a time to see what it was.

The only must have apps I have are Fizz Traveller, Chronos alarm & TomTom 5. No matter what I had loaded or unloded the phone would freeze, usually after waking up from sleep mode. Sometimes it wouldn't wake up at all & other times it wakes up only to freeze again.

Right now I've done another hard reset on Monday & not loaded anything, guess what it still freezes up.

I've come to the conclusion that its the wifi software/hardware thats doing it because 95% of the time it does it when I have wifi activated if I let it go to sleep without deactivating wifi, upon waking up it'll freeze. Maybe you guys can try it. Just activate wifi & let the phone go to sleep. Wake it up & see if it hangs. It doesn;t do it everytime mind you.

Another thing I noticed is that when the phone freezes up it also gets very very hot which is a bit worrying.

I've tried so hard to like this phone because its got everything but I've had enough. I'm not sure what to do with it as I got it off ebay sim free & don't want to sell it to the next guy & ruin his life aswell.

Guest Paul (MVP)
Does anyone know how to replace the original battery indicator after uninstalling Batti? I can't figure it out?

Batti doesn't remove the original indicator.

Have you installed by CAB that replaces the top battery icon with a clock?

P

Guest gavingovinden
Batti doesn't remove the original indicator.

Have you installed by CAB that replaces the top battery icon with a clock?

P

Yes I think I did. Will removing that fix it?

Guest Paul (MVP)

There is another CAB in the first post of my 'must have' thead that basically does the opposite, removing the clock and putting the battery meter there.

Use that if an uninstall (followed by reboot) doesn't fix it.

P

Guest gavingovinden
There is another CAB in the first post of my 'must have' thead that basically does the opposite, removing the clock and putting the battery meter there.

Use that if an uninstall (followed by reboot) doesn't fix it.

P

Uninstall fixed it. Cheers Paul, shame though 'cos I really liked the Clock up there where I could actually see it. That Battery indicator is ugly as hell too. What happened to the normal white one that was on the M500?

Guest MARKUKCOUK
Uninstall fixed it. Cheers Paul, shame though 'cos I really liked the Clock up there where I could actually see it. That Battery indicator is ugly as hell too. What happened to the normal white one that was on the M500?

I've been away with work last week, and the M3100 hasnt crashed once. Its now a nie phone to have again - it looks great, and now works too.

I'd like to put the blame squarely at batti. But I have to admit, I'm certain its a compatibility issue between that and something else, rather than batti alone.

Regardless, batti is going nowhere near my phone again!

PS: As Paul, 'system' style apps are installed to phone mem.

I'm loving my 3100 now, hasn't crashed in a week, the only app i've not installed this time is TomTom, i've not needed it. I'm not sure if this is the culprit for other people's crashing, but after a hard reset and installing stuff to phone instead of memory card (and telling wm5 not to save any pics to mem card) phone has been 100% rock solid.

Guest MARKUKCOUK
I'm loving my 3100 now, hasn't crashed in a week, the only app i've not installed this time is TomTom, i've not needed it. I'm not sure if this is the culprit for other people's crashing, but after a hard reset and installing stuff to phone instead of memory card (and telling wm5 not to save any pics to mem card) phone has been 100% rock solid.

I doubt saving images to storage card has any effect - ive stored over 200 photos on my 1 gig'er without problems.

I would possibly be concerned about TomTom 5 - it seems very slow to start up, and quite buggy - certainly nowhere near as stable as on my old ipaq.

Similarly, if you happen to find the pre-release version of TomTom 6 - I wouldnt bother too much about running it on an M3100 - It was shockingly slow, although this may have been my m3100 after adding too much crap to it! version 6 works fine on my ipaq so as before, maybe it was just mine

I've been away with work last week, and the M3100 hasnt crashed once. Its now a nie phone to have again - it looks great, and now works too.

I'd like to put the blame squarely at batti. But I have to admit, I'm certain its a compatibility issue between that and something else, rather than batti alone.

Regardless, batti is going nowhere near my phone again!

PS: As Paul, 'system' style apps are installed to phone mem.

After a little while monitoring this post because of my MDA Vario II crashing 3+ times a day, I decided to uninstall Batti too..

The phone has been rock solid ever since. It seemed as if Batti was stopping the phone reawakening from hibernation somehow. I've got most of the stuff from Paul's "must have software" post installed, and everything still seems fine, but this does perhaps point to an incompatibility problem with something else. Will miss Batti though as was kind of useful, but guess this will probably get fixed at some point..