VPN over 3G, GPRS on T-Mobile Vario II

Guest nsm

Hi guys - just joined this forum after getting my new vario2 from TMob and I have a question regarding the use of VPN (PPTP) to a corporate network.

Previously I was on O2 and did not have this problem - though now on TMob I do.

Basically, I am able to connect to my corporate VPN server - though I am unable to get to any of the network resources, mail server, etc...I seem to be getting assigned the correct IP address from my VPN (in the 10.x.x.x range) though cannot access any of our servers on this range.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it something to do with the addresses TMob are assigning to us and then the routing table it is using to try and get to my network resources?

Using a program like vxutil allows me to do a lookup and sure enough it resolves the name from the IP - therefore then DNS is ok..

If it is the routing table, is there a method of tweaking this - if not - anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks

Guest eelco_akker
Hi guys - just joined this forum after getting my new vario2 from TMob and I have a question regarding the use of VPN (PPTP) to a corporate network.

Basically, I am able to connect to my corporate VPN server - though I am unable to get to any of the network resources, mail server, etc...I seem to be getting assigned the correct IP address from my VPN (in the 10.x.x.x range) though cannot access any of our servers on this range.

Has anyone seen this before? Is it something to do with the addresses TMob are assigning to us and then the routing table it is using to try and get to my network resources?

Using a program like vxutil allows me to do a lookup and sure enough it resolves the name from the IP - therefore then DNS is ok..

If it is the routing table, is there a method of tweaking this - if not - anyone have any bright ideas?

Thanks

The IP Adresses you want to use (mail server, etc.) you must add in the "Exceptions" button at "Start", "Settings", "Connections", "Connections". so if your mailserver is 10.1.10.1, add that adress in the exceptions

Eelco

Eelco,

Just tried that and still the same result - I cannot get to mailserver or other servers..

Anything else?

Note: This probably doesnt help, but if traceroute my mailserver - I get:

172.18.51.99 OK

172.18.248.129 OK

**Request Timed Out**

Edited by nsm

Guest michaelthegeek
Eelco,

Just tried that and still the same result - I cannot get to mailserver or other servers..

Anything else?

Note: This probably doesnt help, but if traceroute my mailserver - I get:

172.18.51.99 OK

172.18.248.129 OK

**Request Timed Out**

Works just fine for me, using PPTP VPN from a Vario II for POP3/SMTP mail access via T-Mobile's cellular data. Perhaps there's some kind of special IP-address based access control or authentication protocol required for your corporate network?

Good luck!

mtg

Guest Kallisti
Works just fine for me, using PPTP VPN from a Vario II for POP3/SMTP mail access via T-Mobile's cellular data. Perhaps there's some kind of special IP-address based access control or authentication protocol required for your corporate network?

Good luck!

mtg

I could be wrong, as I've not looked in on this in detail, but I believe the networking on pocketPC isn't quite up to the XP standards. To put it briefly, T-Mobile run their network on 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 - the entire 10. address space. The Vario II isn't able to cope with your VPN giving it a subnet of that 10. space as it's VPN. Exceptions or not, it gets confused and can't do it.

No solution that I know of other than not treading on each other's network space.. I believe MS's suggestion for the problem is to get yourself a public IP address for your 3G connection. Umm, yeah, I'm sure T-Mobile will get on that straight away....

Guest michaelthegeek
I could be wrong, as I've not looked in on this in detail, but I believe the networking on pocketPC isn't quite up to the XP standards. To put it briefly, T-Mobile run their network on 10.0.0.0/255.0.0.0 - the entire 10. address space. The Vario II isn't able to cope with your VPN giving it a subnet of that 10. space as it's VPN. Exceptions or not, it gets confused and can't do it.

No solution that I know of other than not treading on each other's network space.. I believe MS's suggestion for the problem is to get yourself a public IP address for your 3G connection. Umm, yeah, I'm sure T-Mobile will get on that straight away....

Good explanation. That'd be why mine works then, because my office uses 192.168...

I presume you are on about VPN client on PDA. Its a tough one, as I've not found a piece of software that allows you to modify the routing table. If there is one out there, that should sort you.

On a separate note, I've been using my Vario II as a USB modem while on the train, VPN'd into a customers site using my laptop, and used terminal services to manage a server in Melbourne. I had to make sure the 'use default gateway' was turned off on the VPN connection as not to stop other traffic working. I was very impressed as you could imagine.

Guest Kallisti
I presume you are on about VPN client on PDA. Its a tough one, as I've not found a piece of software that allows you to modify the routing table. If there is one out there, that should sort you.

I'm not so sure. It's possibly a fundemental limitation of the network stack. For instance, XP has no problem with this situation, it will happily allow you to exist in the 10.x.x.x address space, and have more specific routing for a 10.0.0.x network/address. Personally I prefer to use a 192.168..x address for my office network, you could mask a few of them if you need more than one "class C" of space, and it's reasonably rare to see people use 192.168.x.x

(which is why the next quote is true)

On a separate note, I've been using my Vario II as a USB modem while on the train, VPN'd into a customers site using my laptop, and used terminal services to manage a server in Melbourne. I had to make sure the 'use default gateway' was turned off on the VPN connection as not to stop other traffic working. I was very impressed as you could imagine.

I'm not so sure. It's possibly a fundemental limitation of the network stack. For instance, XP has no problem with this situation, it will happily allow you to exist in the 10.x.x.x address space, and have more specific routing for a 10.0.0.x network/address. Personally I prefer to use a 192.168..x address for my office network, you could mask a few of them if you need more than one "class C" of space, and it's reasonably rare to see people use 192.168.x.x

(which is why the next quote is true)

I tell you what is a bit strange tho' - or this could be XP's handling.

If I use my vario 2 as a gprs modem for my XP Laptop - then I can connect to my servers in the 10.x.x.x range perfectly fine, my mailserver etc.. is perfect. Obviously i dont want to lugging the lappy around with me tho'!

Thanks

Don't T-Mobile have their own VPN APN...

vpn.t-mobile.uk

Edited by yrreP

• 7 months later...
Guest mattie01
Oh, hang on, i have a feeling that this wont help!

:rolleyes:

anyone get an answer for this? as i seem to be getting the same problem...

i have setup a normal connection to general.t-mobile.uk which works fine

also tried to setup a "work connection" with the name as "work" and using (cellular line gprs,3g as the modem)

then using the access point id as "general.t-mobile.uk" entering my username and password.

then i go to the "vpn" setting and put in my vpn server address "vpn.blahblah.com"

when i connect the work connection it connects fine i presume, atleast to the t-mobile server,

as i can browse the internet.

i have then even tried click and holding on the vpn connection under the vpn tab, but i get no confirmation of any sort....

is this right? or am i doing something stupid