How Do You Cook Your Bacon?

Guest The Doctor

Guest The Doctor

Simple really, and quite random but its just a poll to see how most people cook their bacon.

Also partly because grilled bacon is a pet hate of mine and i want to see how many of your are guilty of that crime :D

FRIED BACON ALL THE WAY! :D

Phil

Edited by The Doctor

Guest Samsonite

Grilling is best! we used to george foreman it, but it took ages.. dried it out a treat tho!! :D

if you need a slightly more moist sandwich, then slap in a nice fried egg.. all washed down with a bucket of tea!! the best breakfast on the planet!

frying is a nice change but its too wet for me, it sits in its own juices and a fatty slice is more poached in its own artery-furring goodness than heated from below with a hint of fat...

Guest The Doctor
it sits in its own juices and a fatty slice is more poached in its own artery-furring goodness than heated from below with a hint of fat...

ah but you see thats what makes it taste so nice :D

grilling i find is just too dry and salty.

Phil

grilling i find is just too dry and salty.

Phil

That's why you should always have a nice cup of tea with your BS. Mmmmm, Tea. You can't beat it (makes no froth you see). :D :D

BTW. Bacon grilled, every time. Just like milk, semi-skimmed.

Guest awarner (MVP)

Enen if you do fry it you have to use lard and not of this vegetable oil rubbish.

If you don't use lard then you may as well grill it.

I do it both ways depending if I am at home at on a scout camp.

Guest The Doctor
Enen if you do fry it you have to use lard and not of this vegetable oil rubbish.

I do it both ways depending if I am at home at on a scout camp.

I do mine in the sausage fat thats left in the frying pan. or olive oil it there isnt any sausage fat left.

Phil

Guest Samsonite
I do mine in the sausage fat thats left in the frying pan. or olive oil it there isnt any sausage fat left.

Phil

Fried Sausages!!!! now you're talking... take forever tho! gotta pay for proper butcher made snags too...

Guest Disco Stu

That's my man talking.

Fry it every time in proper beef dripping. If you get frothy white stuff in the pan then you need to buy better bacon. Go see your local butcher.

:D

Beef dripping eh??? Eh up whippet n all :D

Lard is pig fat.

The frothy white bit is the water (salted) they have injected to cure it quicker and to add to the weight to reduce their costs. Always look for 'traditionally (or dry) cured' - this means no water hence no frothy white stuff. Do you notice that 'normal' bacon shrinks significantly when cooked? (that's the water evaporating) but dry cured doesn't?? It is probably about 20% more expensive but it doesn't have 20% water............

BTW if you do get frothy white stuff, increase heat in pan else you will boil it rather than fry it.

Guest The Doctor

Lard is pig fat.

The frothy white bit is the water (salted) they have injected to cure it quicker and to add to the weight to reduce their costs. Always look for 'traditionally (or dry) cured' - this means no water hence no frothy white stuff. Do you notice that 'normal' bacon shrinks significantly when cooked? (that's the water evaporating) but dry cured doesn't?? It is probably about 20% more expensive but it doesn't have 20% water............

BTW if you do get frothy white stuff, increase heat in pan else you will boil it rather than fry it.

beef dripping is the best when i manage to get my hands on it :D

as for the bacon its got to be thick sliced and dry cured. can't be dealing with wafer thin bacon. its just not substantial enough! it needs to be the thick stuff!

phil

Guest Disco Stu

If there's one thing me and t'whippet cannot abide it is tomato ketchup, or any other over-sweetened sauce. Sliced fresh tomatoes are preferred or perhaps some nice mushrooms. :D

Has to be grilled and grilled until the fat turns yellow and crispy and the bacon is almost purple :D

Best uses of bacon:

Chicked, bacon (grilled first), garlic, herbs all fired up together.

Bacon, lettuce and cherry tomatoes in a nice sarnie (bit of mayo, no butter or ketchup!)

Bolognese or Lasagne with bacon.

Grilled bacon, grilled black pudding, fried white bread, beans, mushrooms fried in butter :D

I use bacon in my bolognese as well Nedge, along with half a pinch of cinnanmon (try it!). That's the only time I fry bacon, it's grilled crispy bacon for sandwitches, none that stretchy fat mess when you take a bite!

Mmmm bacon tastes good...pork chops taste good...but a pig is still a dirty animal!

Guest genaldar

Fried and I personally love bacon with fried eggs and toast. Course I have eaten a plate or 10 of nothing but bacon in my life. My buddies and I even refer to it as "love", i.e. let's go get breakfast I'm in the mood for love.

• 1 month later...