Making Cingular 3125 Voice Tags & Dialing WORK!

Guest MadSci

OK, like lots of you, I've been disappointed, nay angry, at having bought ANOTHER HTC phone from Cingular that didn't have a voice dialing function despite it being advertised. :( (my first was the MPx200, which never was fixed - Cingular still owes me $300!) :)

Many have found it hard to get a Voice Tag into the beast, but this seems to be an issue that can be solved by finding a lower ambient sound level, and/or insuring at least one 'hard' consonant in the Tag word.

Great, I can record Voice Tags, but can I use them?

Well, if you follow the directions in the Cingular Manual, very carefully - No

Here's what it says (from Page 150)

"On the Home screen, press and hold the VOLUME down button on the left side of the phone for two seconds."

In the Getting Started Guide, this is expanded upon a bit (Page 13):

"When the flip cover is opened...press and hold the Volume Down button to launch the Voice Tag feature."

Do either of these, and all you get is a lowered volume on the earpiece.

Bummer

Look out Cingular, I'm feeling a little Postal ;)

but...

If instead, with the flip open, you QUICKLY press the "Comm Manager" button...

Tah Dah!! It opens the "Recognizing Audio Tag" alert Dialog. A couple of seconds later, you get the "beep" and if you speak your Tag, it dials!!! or launches!!!!

And BTW, the voice Dialing/Launching works just fine over my Moto HS820 Bluetooth Headset.

So, the hardware works fine! ;)

Someone forgot to read and TEST the manual in galley proof. Almost makes me want to dig out the old MPx200 to see if just maybe... :rolleyes:

Hope this helps!

MadSci

• 9 months later...
Guest cinnamon

I know your message is old, but I wonder if you (or anyone) could elaborate on how to use the voice tags via a BT headset and the 3125. There's nothing in the instructions for my headset regarding making outgoing calls at all, much less being able to use a voice tag. I have a Plantronics Discovery 610.

Thanks,

Cinnamon

OK, like lots of you, I've been disappointed, nay angry, at having bought ANOTHER HTC phone from Cingular that didn't have a voice dialing function despite it being advertised. :P (my first was the MPx200, which never was fixed - Cingular still owes me $300!) ;)

Many have found it hard to get a Voice Tag into the beast, but this seems to be an issue that can be solved by finding a lower ambient sound level, and/or insuring at least one 'hard' consonant in the Tag word.

Great, I can record Voice Tags, but can I use them?

Well, if you follow the directions in the Cingular Manual, very carefully - No

Here's what it says (from Page 150)

"On the Home screen, press and hold the VOLUME down button on the left side of the phone for two seconds."

In the Getting Started Guide, this is expanded upon a bit (Page 13):

"When the flip cover is opened...press and hold the Volume Down button to launch the Voice Tag feature."

Do either of these, and all you get is a lowered volume on the earpiece.

Bummer

Look out Cingular, I'm feeling a little Postal :D

but...

If instead, with the flip open, you QUICKLY press the "Comm Manager" button...

Tah Dah!! It opens the "Recognizing Audio Tag" alert Dialog. A couple of seconds later, you get the "beep" and if you speak your Tag, it dials!!! or launches!!!!

And BTW, the voice Dialing/Launching works just fine over my Moto HS820 Bluetooth Headset.

So, the hardware works fine! :D

Someone forgot to read and TEST the manual in galley proof. Almost makes me want to dig out the old MPx200 to see if just maybe... :)

Hope this helps!

MadSci

• 4 weeks later...
Guest MadSci
I know your message is old, but I wonder if you (or anyone) could elaborate on how to use the voice tags via a BT headset and the 3125. There's nothing in the instructions for my headset regarding making outgoing calls at all, much less being able to use a voice tag. I have a Plantronics Discovery 610.

Thanks,

Cinnamon

Hi Cinnamon. Sorry it took so long to reply but my promary phone is now a BlackJack so I wasn't looking in this forum.

Anyway I just paired the headset as usual, making sure the "handsfree" option was selected on the Bluetooth profile. A short press on the headset button then was all it took to trigger the voice tag function on the phone. It worked pretty well.

Cheers!

MadSci