Isn't anyone looking at the iPaq 691X ?

Guest xerxes

Guest xerxes

Full PPC in a small slim(ish) package, qwerty board, wi-fi and gps built in with a claimed talk time of 5 hours!

I'm surprised there isn't any buzz about this device.

Have people taken a look and discarded it for some reason? If so please post and say why.

• 4 weeks later...
Full PPC in a small slim(ish) package, qwerty board, wi-fi and gps built in with a claimed talk time of 5 hours!

I'm surprised there isn't any buzz about this device.

Have people taken a look and discarded it for some reason? If so please post and say why.

I'm actually quite surprised that there hasn't been more buzz on this as well. The silence has been deafening on my favorite sites Modaco, Msmobiles and Coolsmartphone. Is there some sort of bias here towards HP because of their past bungling of the Ipaq line or is there another reason.

Despite the lack of feedback from my favorite sites, I just bought one and so far am quite impressed. WM5, wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS in a form factor that beats the heck out of my HTC Wizard. I have had every HTC device since the Canary and while I am still a fan, I haven't seen another unit that has all of this functionality in such a small package. (I haven't been able to see a Samsung yet so I can't compare). I set up the direct Push email using Cortado in less than five minutes and it works flawlessly.

Screen is bright, accessories are nice, processor seems a lot faster than my Wizard but without all of the bugs.

I can't really comment on battery life yet but it seems acceptable.

Anyone else have any negatives on this little gem?

Cheers

Matex

• 2 weeks later...
It is an interesting device, but it's kinda hard for me to review or comment on when HP don't bother to reply to my mails :)

P

That's a shame, as one of my colleagues has one, and it's a perfect shirt pocket size :P

Buckets of functionality in a form factor that suits me better than my K-JAM, and I don't even mind the 240x240 screen, which seems quite crisp, if a little large after staring at my K-JAM's diminutive screen with its tiny pixels for a year (not all the time - I have breaks for meals & sleep).

Now if only she'll let me pinch it... :D

Despite the lack of feedback from my favorite sites, I just bought one and so far am quite impressed.

Cheers

Matex

Care to share more of your thoughts with us in the form of a review?

I currently have a Wizard, but the 6915 has seriously got my attention.

I'd like to see the new HP device alongside a wizard to compare the physical size.

How does the keyboard perform?

Is GPS performance as good as a dedicated unit?

Are there sufficient hardware buttons to ensure the device can be used single handedly for the majority of the time?

Is there a T9 predictive text input method ?

All help appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

>I'd like to see the new HP device alongside a wizard to compare the physical size.

I've got a 6915 but not a wizard... :)

>How does the keyboard perform?

It works well but it's very weird to begin with as I was so used to using a mobile with t9 text. Nice to be able to actually type real words in without worrying about spelling though.

>Is GPS performance as good as a dedicated unit?

It uses a sirfstar2 chip as far as I know and outdoors it performs pretty well. I think the standalone tom tom I've used was quicker at picking up a signal but it works fine.

>Are there sufficient hardware buttons to ensure the device can be used single handedly for the majority of the time?

It's a little wide for single handed use for me but the joystick is handy, as are the two hardware buttons either side.

>Is there a T9 predictive text input method ?

Not as far as I know

Nice to see another Geordie... We do get about...

Edited by Jetsy

Cheers Jetsy.

I've had a look at the ipaq in a local department store (before the match last night - gerrin, we are on the way back !)

I quite like it I must say. The form factor is much better than my Vario, which has kind of been disgarded in preference to my odler C550 (albeit unlocked and on T-Mob network now).

I think I could adapt to using the qwerty thumb board

If only, if only, it was 3G enabled it would be a killer device man.

I might well jump in at the deep end and order one like - otherwise the revenue are going to have more of me dosh.

Do you have Tom Tom running on yours?

The 6915 bundled with Tom Tom 6 is what is taking my eye - albeit over at expansys it is cheaper (albeit only slightly) to buy the two bits seperatley - as of today anyway.

Cheers again.

If i do take the plunge I'll post back with my thoughts.

Keep the faith

OK, I am now the proud owner of a sim-free hw6915; I got this to replace my existing SPV C600, primarily to reduce the potential number of hi-tech items I'll carry around, and also cause I'm a bit of a gadget man, and have used an iPaq PDA before, and wanted one that was a smartphone as well - the fact that it's got inbuilt GPS is a bloody good bonus, of course :)

Now, the one I've got came with TT5, not 6; in addition, the manual (for once, I'm reading that before I use something new, lol) states that I should have EDGE turned on in order to maximise the GPS device in the phone; this is odd; surely a GPS unit auto-updates the more you use it, without having to download new location datasets on satellite positions? Or, am I missing something?

Second, odd question, but I've never used the browser on a smartphone before - Am I correct in assuming that I can connect (via the USB connection and activesync to my home PC that's got a high-speed broadband connection), without having to use WiFi or EDGE, in order to download maps for the 6915?

Also - anyone used MemoryMap with the 6915 yet? If so, any problems or idiosyncrasies I should know about?

Anything else I should know?

I've joing the ranks of happy (so far) ipaq 6915 owners.

Got mine with tt6 (which I've got running from my 2gb miniSD card) and so far the device has done nothing but impress me.

Certainly the GPS is far far faster to first fix than my ageing icn510.

Just need to locate the cheapest source of a Brodit cradle for the car now.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest battmann

Hi, - my first post.

I have a 6915 and at first i didnt know what to do with it - it felt too big.

Well I buckled down and over a 2 weeks started nailing it with all sorts of apps and utilities and programs I could find to see how it works. I have even overclocked it!

The beauty of this device is its incredible processing ability.

What I have found is to get programs to open takes a while - this I have found is because of the type of memory used in all these devices- not because of the processor.

So what i do is open all the apps i need! then minimise them all, seriously - I open about 4 programs and not small little ones. spb pocket plus alows you to do this - get a trial and try it.

The E-Sword bible takes me 23 seconds to open. once I maximise it - 3 seconds to open.

Must have programs are Pocket Player 3.01 - just amazing. TCMP is a video player that is better than anything I have ever seen on a pc - I play dvds that I have ripped on this player and the quality is as astounding -I rip the movies to about 400 meg -store on mini sd.

The gps works - I have never had one before.

The speaker is loud and the screen is bright - get screen protectors to protect it, dont and you will pay!

With music playing- Pocket Player , the Bible open - E-Sword, the video player open, Word open and the device overclocked to 533 from 416 the cpu usage stabilises out at 20%!

Connection to the net is great -it is faster than my Motorola v360 (both have Edge)

The only thing that i could complain about is that it is incompatible with my first generation Nokia bluetooth carkit The other thing is that i have become a little obsessed with finding stuff to try out on it as it is really a brilliant little phone if a little ugly - i Thought about spraying the cover black.

till next time

I'm actually quite surprised that there hasn't been more buzz on this as well. The silence has been deafening on my favorite sites Modaco, Msmobiles and Coolsmartphone. Is there some sort of bias here towards HP because of their past bungling of the Ipaq line or is there another reason.

Despite the lack of feedback from my favorite sites, I just bought one and so far am quite impressed. WM5, wi-fi, bluetooth, GPS in a form factor that beats the heck out of my HTC Wizard. I have had every HTC device since the Canary and while I am still a fan, I haven't seen another unit that has all of this functionality in such a small package. (I haven't been able to see a Samsung yet so I can't compare). I set up the direct Push email using Cortado in less than five minutes and it works flawlessly.

Screen is bright, accessories are nice, processor seems a lot faster than my Wizard but without all of the bugs.

I can't really comment on battery life yet but it seems acceptable.

Anyone else have any negatives on this little gem?

Cheers

Matex

• 1 month later...

OK, having had my 6915 for a couple of months, I now have a few intelligent questions that you other owners might have the answers to (one lives in hope, lol).

1. Is there any way to get the sms alert tone to repeat - I keep missing time-sensitive texts! I had a good one on my old C600, but oddly, I cannot get the stock tone changed - any pointers/hints/methods?

2. Rarely, the unit freezes, normally when (i) the alarm clock rings, (ii) the calender alerts me, (iii) and someone phones, all at the same time! Any ideas why this is happening?

3. Is there a way to PREVENT the TT6 software from downloading the AGPS files without my express case-by-case permission? The data charges on Orange are getting well silly!

Thanks in advance for any and all help ;)

Roger

Edited by G1LIW

• 7 months later...

Just purchased a 6925. While I am still having issues using it as a phone(simlock), I have been very impressed with everything it can do.

I am currently playing with wififofum, and about to try tomtom 6. Any other suggestion for apps and utils to check out?

• 3 months later...

Memory Map (version 5, of course),

Wolfclock (more options than the built-in alarm system for WM5),

Pocket Informant (I'm on the 2007 version, very cool, much better than pocket outlook!)

Hope that helps!