TomTom for Vario II

Guest tomkit66

Guest tomkit66

Hi all,

I would like to by a TomTom Navigation for my Vario II. First question:

Should I go with the AllInOne bundle (Software+GPS Receiver+SD card)? I thought the TomTom SD card is a Mini and we need a Micro?

If I just buy the software what kind of BT GPS receiver would you recommend?

1 GB or 2 GB Micro SD? How much place takes TomTom on a 1 GB card? Is there any space left for video, pics and music?

I drive a GrandCherokee (2002). Anyone knows a good carholder? I would prefer a solution where I have not to screw up my dashboard :rolleyes:

Thanks

Tom

Guest awarner (MVP)

You will need to buy a miniSD with any option you choose, these can be picked up fairly cheap.

A 1gb card would be fine unless you plan to buy the maps for Europe.

As for a car holder look for one made by Brodit they make mounts specifically for each car and the build quality is hard to beat.

Guest FragMeister

I am not sure what country you are in but tomtom 5 maps for the UK take up 120meg so there should be plenty of space for a few albums worth of mp3's. agree that a brodit mount is the best to go for, but you would need a active one, unless you already have a car charger as tomtom eats the battery life so you would only get about 2 hours driving on a fully charged Vario otherwise.

If you are buying now, tomtom navigator 6 is out which has the latest map data plus some tweaks to the software (best of which is "navigate to contact" from within tomtom, much better than on version 5 where you had to exit tomtom and do it from your contact list).

Guest tomkit66
I am not sure what country you are in but tomtom 5 maps for the UK take up 120meg so there should be plenty of space for a few albums worth of mp3's. agree that a brodit mount is the best to go for, but you would need a active one, unless you already have a car charger as tomtom eats the battery life so you would only get about 2 hours driving on a fully charged Vario otherwise.

Okay thanks for the advise. I am in Austria but would also use maps of Spain.

Do I need the active Brodit holder or can I use the passive one in combination with a regular car charger?

What really bothers me know is the questions I asked earlier in the thread:

I thought the Vario II needs Micro SD cards? What would I do with a Mini SD card?

TIA

Tom

p.s. Since my other thread regarding a case for the Vario II got no answers so far: Do you know if there is a case available which also holds a few cards and some $$ notes?

Edited by tomkit66

Guest awarner (MVP)

I just made a typo I ment to say microSD, TomTom6 comes with a miniSD.

As for car holder I use a standard mount with a seperate charge cable.

Guest tomkit66
I just made a typo I ment to say microSD, TomTom6 comes with a miniSD.

As for car holder I use a standard mount with a seperate charge cable.

Never mind - thanks anyway!

I think I am using the passive holder and a car charger cable as you do.

Any ideas about a case with additional place for some CC

Guest Loconinja

TomTom 6 "software only" comes on a DVD not SD card. It includes a new app called "TomTom Home" that makes installation easy.

1. Connect device to PC via ActiveSync

2. Run TomTom Home on PC

3. Copies TT6 installer to device memory card

4. Remove and re-insert memory card - TT6 installs automatically

You can then choose which maps to install. New to TT6 is a whole-of-Western-Europe map that is around 940MB.

If you buy the TT6 bundle including GPS receiver (very good, by the way), you will have to copy the contents of the MiniSD card to a microSD card first, but that DOES work.

Edited by Loconinja

Guest tomkit66
TomTom 6 "software only" comes on a DVD not SD card. It includes a new app called "TomTom Home" that makes installation easy.

2. Run TomTom Home on PC

You can then choose which maps to install. New to TT6 is a whole-of-Western-Europe map that is around 940MB.

If you buy the TT6 bundle including GPS receiver (very good, by the way), you will have to copy the contents of the MiniSD card to a microSD card first, but that DOES work.

Cool thanks ! That really helped !

Thanks again

Tom

Thinking of getting tom6 gps kit. Is there any problem with heated front windscreens. [i have a Focus[

I've had an original TomTom GPS (SirfStar II) and now have the newer TomTom GPS (SirfStar III) and both work fine behind a Mondeo heated screen.

I think the problem is more to do with the heat reflective coating on some screens, rather than the integral heating elements.

Guest AndrewH13
I've had an original TomTom GPS (SirfStar II) and now have the newer TomTom GPS (SirfStar III) and both work fine behind a Mondeo heated screen.

I think the problem is more to do with the heat reflective coating on some screens, rather than the integral heating elements.

Thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Pandemonium

Anyone know if the Nokia LD-1W GPS receiver will work with Vario II and TomTom 6? I've used the GPS receiver for Wayfinder on the Vario II, but I'm hoping to get the software + maps only package of TomTom 6 and save a bit of cash. I've also got an original TomTom Bluetooth receiver used with TomTom 4. Will this work if the Nokia unit doesn't?

Guest FragMeister
Anyone know if the Nokia LD-1W GPS receiver will work with Vario II and TomTom 6? I've used the GPS receiver for Wayfinder on the Vario II, but I'm hoping to get the software + maps only package of TomTom 6 and save a bit of cash. I've also got an original TomTom Bluetooth receiver used with TomTom 4. Will this work if the Nokia unit doesn't?

should work fine as long as the nokia gps is nmea or sirf based. failing that the "original" tomtom bt gps should also work as well. if unsure, try out CamerAware to double check :rolleyes:

• 2 months later...
Guest spiderboy

2. Run TomTom Home on PC

Quick question if I may. I have bought the Tomtom on DVD and a sandisk ultra II 2gb microSD card. I installed the Tomtom home software on my laptop and connected the Vario to the laptop and it connects and syncs just fine, I even loaded an MP3 onto the SD card and it played in media player. But when I try and install the Tomtom using the Home software I get an error message saying that there is not enough space to install the 11mb Tomtom application. I did contact Tomtom support but they were about as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike. The guy just said “Sorry it doesn't work on an MDA Vario 2 and please take it back to your software to the dealer” not much of a support line if you ask me.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on troubleshooting this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Guest AndrewH13
Quick question if I may. I have bought the Tomtom on DVD and a sandisk ultra II 2gb microSD card. I installed the Tomtom home software on my laptop and connected the Vario to the laptop and it connects and syncs just fine, I even loaded an MP3 onto the SD card and it played in media player. But when I try and install the Tomtom using the Home software I get an error message saying that there is not enough space to install the 11mb Tomtom application. I did contact Tomtom support but they were about as helpful as an ashtray on a motorbike. The guy just said “Sorry it doesn't work on an MDA Vario 2 and please take it back to your software to the dealer” not much of a support line if you ask me.

Does anyone have any ideas or thoughts on troubleshooting this?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

I also found TomTom support to be totally useless. I bought version 6 GPSr and software which came on a mini-sd card. It would not install from DVD Home as I believe the DVD does not contain the program. I copied from Mini SD to my MICRO SD 2GB card but made the mistake of putting the many TT files into a folder rather than scattered on card amongst other files as I eventually found was needed. The jobsworth from Holland said as the Package and the TomTom website does not included VARIO II, he will not answer any questions at all and that I should return Program for refund if dealer said it would be compatible with my phone.

I mentioned that lots of people have it working on a Vario/TYTN and asked 'didn't he want to help me?' The answer was no. People should be warned that TomToms support is dreadful and downright rude.

Not sure if this will help you guys but when i got TomTom 5 for my Compact II if would not install from the DVD, i tried several computers but no luck, finally i got a friend to install it to his PDA of some sort and it installed fine... then we went throught the files/folders it had created and coppied them over to my device to authorise it etc... when i updated to TomTom 6 this year (all you have to do is buy a new map/maps) TomTom Home saw my installed version of 5 and just did everything for me.

maybe this will help :/

I do nto know of any decent cases especially one that would hold spare cards.

I use a 2gb card and it does all I need it to.

I have just bought a Krussell Luxury Leather Orbit Case from Elite Electronics on ebay which holds an SD card with a pocket which could hold a credit card or money. Only £15 including postage!

I have always used either Krussell or Piel Frama cases with my PDAs, and this one is of superb quality and very functional. There are also horizontal pouch type cases available, and Piel Frama make a beautiful "book-type" case.

I wanted the vertical case with the flap as this loops back through my pull-out drinks holder in my Civic Type-R, and is the best mount I have found for my TomTom satnav!