web n walk ate my battery

Guest gs_london

Guest gs_london

Just had web n walk enabled and after the text message confirming activation arrived my vario 2 has been owned by t mobile.

i changed settings to ensure that the device never could make an automatic connection but changed that so w n w could be used.

the only problem is i cannot switch it off and now my battery has been mauled as the device constantly polls for gprs/3G signal.

how do i switch it off without deliberately cheating. i want to switch on web n walk and the gprs/3G services on the phone when im ready for it.

is there a way?

thanks in advance

Do you have push email? In activesync on your vario click on schedule... under the right soft key menu option. in the peak and off peak times combo boxes select Manually. This should stop from connecting automatically.

Guest gs_london
Do you have push email? In activesync on your vario click on schedule... under the right soft key menu option. in the peak and off peak times combo boxes select Manually. This should stop from connecting automatically.

No i use gmail for email on a 3 minute cycle. whether that is causing the device to connect im not sure.

maybe im missing something here but surely wm5 didnt think to put control over this connectivity. it was bad enough having to change connection settings to default to wifi because my fat sausage fingers kept hitting the web n walk button and i didnt want to rack up gprs costs. but now i do have w n w bundled and accidental connection no longer an issue.

but there doesnt seem to be any way to switch it off and preserve battery life.

Ummmm, if you are checking your gmail by POP every three minutes the phone will automatically connect to your server every 3 minutes???? It will do this via the 3G connection and I would assume the 3G connection will be permanently on and connected. If you want it to connect on demand then do manual send/receives of your email.

Guest gs_london
Ummmm, if you are checking your gmail by POP every three minutes the phone will automatically connect to your server every 3 minutes???? It will do this via the 3G connection and I would assume the 3G connection will be permanently on and connected. If you want it to connect on demand then do manual send/receives of your email.

Umm thats pretty obvious. The issue isnt how my email works its how gprs/3G doesnt come with a switch. in other words its like having a radio for your car hard wired to the battery with no on off switch. makes sense now? even if i disable my email completely how do i stop gprs/3G services without resorting to changing connection settings to something other than t mobile

Guest jimbouk

If you have no web enabled apps running (eg mail, web, or any applications that update themselves over the data connection) then it wont connect.

Best thing to do is to disconnect data (either by holding the red hang up key for five seconds or via the Stop Data Connection in Com Mgr), then make sure you have no applications running (check in the running programs) such as activesync, inox, internet, pocket weather, cameraware etc), then check the device after five minutes - it wont have connected - if it has then something is triggering it.

But as said above, if you do have your mail set to check every 3 minutes it has to connect via 3g/gprs...

Guest bydandie
Umm thats pretty obvious. The issue isnt how my email works its how gprs/3G doesnt come with a switch. in other words its like having a radio for your car hard wired to the battery with no on off switch. makes sense now? even if i disable my email completely how do i stop gprs/3G services without resorting to changing connection settings to something other than t mobile

Your battery will be eaten if you poll every three minutes. The continual connection of 3G/GPRS is not what is eating your battery, it is your polling interval.

Guest gs_london
Your battery will be eaten if you poll every three minutes. The continual connection of 3G/GPRS is not what is eating your battery, it is your polling interval.

sorry to say this but all the replys above have missed the point. when i didnt have web n walk my email still was on a 3 minute cycle but did it wear the battery down ummm no.

after digging deeper i found that the little g in the top of the display takes heaps of battery to be displayed. the phone has to talk to the network and the network has to respond. battery gobble gobble. move 500 yards down the road. talk respond gobble gobble.

this is such a well understood downside to gprs i thought you guys would understand.

no i dont want to configure each app to respond on demand i want to disable the service they use.

ok I found the solution GB Soft tweak which suspends gprs polling after a designated time. bingo.

this was found on the list of free must have apps.

Guest Markda2000

I Hope the program you found helps.

However in my expererince on the MDA Pro and the Vario the battery life is fine whilst connected all the time, the only thing that affects it is Data transfer of any kind whether that is email polling or d.loading etc.

Prior to getting the W n W bundle, how were you connecting to poll your email? cos if it wasn't via GPRS/3G does that mean you were connecting via CSD?, which I would assume would use no less battery power than GPRS - especially considering the phone would be dialling up every 3 minutes.

Guest gs_london
Prior to getting the W n W bundle, how were you connecting to poll your email? cos if it wasn't via GPRS/3G does that mean you were connecting via CSD?, which I would assume would use no less battery power than GPRS - especially considering the phone would be dialling up every 3 minutes.

Before web n walk i only collected my email via wifi both at home and at work. during the periods of non connectivity im sure the email polling was happening but the device abandoned when the default gateway failed to be detected

Okay, so if I get this right, you want (when you're away from wifi) to be able to open Pocket IE and browse via GPRS/3G, but you don't want Email to do the same? Previously you had changed your settings so GPRS/3G couldn't be used at all, even if you opened a browser. Is that about right?

What is killing your battery, as has been stated before, is the email polling every three minutes.

I don't know if there's a way to tell email to only use WiFi, and fail if WiFi isn't available rather than switch to GPRS/3G - someone else may be able to think of a way.

The options I can think of are (and I don't think they'll work for you though):

1) change your settings back to how you had them before, which will stop the email using GPRS/3G. However this'll mean you can't browse via GPRS/3G when away from WiFi without changing the settings back again.

2) change the email to poll manually, rather than automatically. Then, when you've WiFi available, you keep doing a manual send/receive and when you haven't WiFi you don't.

Before you had your Web n Walk bundle activated, your device wasn't succesfully polling every three minutes, so it wasn't making a connection, so your battery wasn't effected. Therefore the problem isn't GPRS/3G, it is how you've told your device to use it.

It is easy to disconnect GPRS/3G by (as has been said before) either holding the red hang up key for five seconds or via the Stop Data Connection in Com Mgr. So there is the switch you want. The problem is that as soon as you've disconnected, your email program will then connect again 3 minutes later, because that is what you've told it to do.

A bit long winded, but hope it helps.

Edited by Guest

Guest zoidster

I am sure there must be more to this issue than meets the eye

I have recently switched from connecting as & when - to always on (via push mail) , and I am noticing no real noticeable difference in battery life

Also - after reading this topic yesterday - I disabled mail syncing in activesync , and GPRS stays off until it is required again (for me , at least ) - OK , so I'm using an m3100 , maybe that is relavant ?

Obviously if you are geting your mail every three minutes this is going to clobber the life out of the battery I'd say & I'd guess the battery would be beter off if you just left the connection on all the time (which you say it is anyway ? )

I reckon you might just have a defective battery ? or maybe you are expecting a little too much from the phone in regards to battery life ?

Guest gs_london
I am sure there must be more to this issue than meets the eye

I have recently switched from connecting as & when - to always on (via push mail) , and I am noticing no real noticeable difference in battery life

Also - after reading this topic yesterday - I disabled mail syncing in activesync , and GPRS stays off until it is required again (for me , at least ) - OK , so I'm using an m3100 , maybe that is relavant ?

Obviously if you are geting your mail every three minutes this is going to clobber the life out of the battery I'd say & I'd guess the battery would be beter off if you just left the connection on all the time (which you say it is anyway ? )

I reckon you might just have a defective battery ? or maybe you are expecting a little too much from the phone in regards to battery life ?

I didnt realise this subject was going to be so difficult to grasp.

I apologise for the hot headed replies and will try to explain better what the issue is.

The Polling of GPRS/3G seems to have quite an effect on the battery life of the device. I was in a poor reception area at the time and noticed that the battery was draining at quite a quick rate.

After posting here I did some checking and found that the GPRS/3G polling is known to drain the battery.

So much so that a free utility has been developed to manage this very situation (amongst other things)

http://www.gb-soft.cz/xdaii/product_gprs_tweak_wm5pe_en.htm

The utility WILL switch off the polling after a user designated time but does get overriden by connecting apps. Not a perfect solution but for approximately a 1 min and 55 second time span my gprs/3g polling is suspended when the utility is set to switch polling off after 1 minute. This over the course of 24 hours suffiently lengthened the battery life.

Even if you dont have web n walk, adding this utility will increase battery life. There are several threads on the Hermes forum confirming this.

This doesnt address the fact that I cannot permanently switch off GPRS/3G and any application on the device can automatically reconnect a disconnected connection.

Therefore I have to live with the poor battery performance or change my settings to use wifi by default when i dont want gprs/3g to kill off my remaining battery life.

Switching off the data services in Comm manager serves little purpose as any app overrides this switch and just goes ahead and connects you regardless.

This would have been a good place to put the control over 3g/GPRS in the users hands but unfortunately its not the case.

Switching each applications settings to stop the problem seems like a long winded way of achieving what I want to achieve but would work.

On a final note the list of free must have apps seems to have lost the tweak utility and another modaco branded gprs manager seems to have been added but the location of the post that lead me to it is still present a little way down on page 9

http://www.modaco.com/index.php?showtopic=243906&st=160

Hope this clears up the confusion and notifies all I have found a work around.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Christopher Woods

I noticed that Paul (the MVP) has made available a small tool for basically switching a value in the registry to forcibly disable a GPRS / 3G connection (he coded it so he could ensure that he wouldn't incur extorionate GPRS roaming charges whilst on holiday) - go check this forum, I think you'll find exactly what you want. :)

Guest gs_london
I noticed that Paul (the MVP) has made available a small tool for basically switching a value in the registry to forcibly disable a GPRS / 3G connection (he coded it so he could ensure that he wouldn't incur extorionate GPRS roaming charges whilst on holiday) - go check this forum, I think you'll find exactly what you want. :)

Yep I did it a few weeks ago almost as soon as I posted that the app had dissappeared off the must have freeware thread.

Funnily enough I run both applications - cant be too careful but I can report that running both

1] ensures my phone doesnt poll for GPRS/3G - and lengthens battery life dramatically.

2] if for some quirk of fate it does poll after 1 minute it will not poll anymore.

Therefore my 3 minute turnaround on checking email remains untouched without killing the battery and when I connect via docking/WiFi it just kicks in sweet as a nut.

All you who suggested I change my email polling times - sorry you missed the point. Enjoy fiddling with your settings.

Guest encrypted
Yep I did it a few weeks ago almost as soon as I posted that the app had dissappeared off the must have freeware thread.

Funnily enough I run both applications - cant be too careful but I can report that running both

1] ensures my phone doesnt poll for GPRS/3G - and lengthens battery life dramatically.

2] if for some quirk of fate it does poll after 1 minute it will not poll anymore.

Therefore my 3 minute turnaround on checking email remains untouched without killing the battery and when I connect via docking/WiFi it just kicks in sweet as a nut.

All you who suggested I change my email polling times - sorry you missed the point. Enjoy fiddling with your settings.

Cool - i'm gonna try and run it to switch polling off after 1 minute as I find the battery life way too short for my daily activities. Are there any side-effects to keeping the poll timeout this short?

my email is set to synch every 15mins - i take it that this wont be affected?