Using Dash with Open Wifi

Guest greer451

Guest greer451

I picked the Dash up yesterday. If anyone is able to use it on open wifi can they tell me what they have for settings. I wasted time moving through tmobile tech support yesterday up to level 3 before they actually took a dash and tried to log on to their own office wifi and could not. They were stumped. Tmobiles own literature says it works on other wifi networks besides their own. I can connect to open wifi networks, just can't ever get an ip address on the phone.

Thanks,

Greer

Guest jfreiman

I don't know what to tell you because I can't figure this out myself.

I CAN logon to my Google Wi-Fi in downtown San Francisco without any difficulties and get speeds of 898kbs.

However, I can't log into my own home WiFi with my netgear router.

??????

The Dash shows as "Connecting" and my router shows as connected but no IP is being assigned.

I too would appreciate some help with this issue.

-John

Guest jfreiman

just curious. Have you been able to connect to the Internet via the Edge data network?

None of my friends have been able to yet. Customer service is telling us that it will take up to 72 hours 'worst case scenereo.'

Guest greer451

Sorry, I'm ignorant about edge.

I have been wrestling with the home router for days and it is also a netgear. I was able to jump on a newer netgear router with no problem, (my friend's) so maybe it is the age of the router? Don't know how old yours is. I haven't been anywhere with open wifi since getting the dash so I am headed out now to see if I can get on somewhere else. If so, I guess it must just be our routers.

Guest Superslimjimmy

Hmm well when i turned on wifi it found my network instantly and i browsed about two pages until i ie stopped working but it still said connected so i restarted my router (which needs to be done every now and then for me) and it worked again from then on. That seems like a problem with my router tho not my dash i will try other networks and see if i run into problems

Guest chaznet

Out-of-the-box, I was able to connect my Dash to the net via my home access point, T-Mobile HotSpot, and EDGE on the first attempt with all, without changing any settings. My settings are whatever the defaults are.

I picked the Dash up yesterday. If anyone is able to use it on open wifi can they tell me what they have for settings. I wasted time moving through tmobile tech support yesterday up to level 3 before they actually took a dash and tried to log on to their own office wifi and could not. They were stumped. Tmobiles own literature says it works on other wifi networks besides their own. I can connect to open wifi networks, just can't ever get an ip address on the phone.

Thanks,

Greer

Guest greer451

I was able to get on open wifi no problem today. I had gone to a local restaurant that probably needed the router restarted so I thought something was up with the dash when combined with my home wifi problem. Just a fluke. I not only got on to open wifi easily, I also was showing the edge in use symbol on the far right. Still can't get on at home for some reason. I'll worry about that later.

Guest Mrs. Dash
just curious. Have you been able to connect to the Internet via the Edge data network?

None of my friends have been able to yet. Customer service is telling us that it will take up to 72 hours 'worst case scenereo.'

Hi I purchsed the dash on the 25th when it was released. I was having trouble connecting to the internet over the phone, using the edge network. I tried everything, called tech support a number of times and nothing. They claim to give it 48hrs but thats just a disclaimer, it usucally occurs instantly. Anyhow i went into a tmobile store and compared my settings with someone else with a dash that was working just fine. They Were The Same, the settings! I was so frustrated and exchanged it for another dash. Had the same problem! I did some research and edited the access point for gprs to internet2.voicestream.com and IT WORKED! I am on my dash now typing this. Since I havent been off it and have connected it to my laptop by usb and used the internet from the phone to browse.... its slow but works.

As far as wifi i have used it at home and other locations and havent had any issues. Someone in the forum posted a complaint about T9 that can be change simple by pressing ALT then SPACE.

So far i am very happy. if you have any tips or now of any cool tricks let me know.

Guest jfreiman
Hi I purchsed the dash on the 25th when it was released. I was having trouble connecting to the internet over the phone, using the edge network. I tried everything, called tech support a number of times and nothing. They claim to give it 48hrs but thats just a disclaimer, it usucally occurs instantly. Anyhow i went into a tmobile store and compared my settings with someone else with a dash that was working just fine. They Were The Same, the settings! I was so frustrated and exchanged it for another dash. Had the same problem! I did some research and edited the access point for gprs to internet2.voicestream.com and IT WORKED! I am on my dash now typing this. Since I havent been off it and have connected it to my laptop by usb and used the internet from the phone to browse.... its slow but works.

As far as wifi i have used it at home and other locations and havent had any issues. Someone in the forum posted a complaint about T9 that can be change simple by pressing ALT then SPACE.

So far i am very happy. if you have any tips or now of any cool tricks let me know.

I had the same problem and so did 2 of my friends who also purchased the Dash.

After I got off the phone with a 3rd tier technician at T-Mobile and he gave me the same settings they gave you he asked me to call and give the new settings to my friends.

This seems to be a failure on T-Mobile's part.

Has anyone had any luck connection so secure networks? I have WEP on my house network, but the Dash keeps telling me my passphrase is incorrect.

I have 4 wifi devices (laptops, etc) using this same connection, so I knnow my password is correct.

I've even tried entering one of the keys instead of the passphrase but still, nothing. If I disable WEP and leave the network open, I can connect no problem, so it's not the wifi on my device that's busted. It just isn't liking WEP for some reason.

Any help?

• 3 weeks later...

I can connect dash to my home network using WEP.

If you follow the normal procedure, you will fail.

The key part is the setting on "Authentication".

The default mode is "open", it should be set to "shared".

To change it, select the wifi network from the list, and select "Next".

You will find "Authentication" at the top of the screen, change

it to "Shared". You will see dash connected to the network sucessfully.

You only need to set it once, next time when you turn the wifi

on from comm manager, it will connect immediately.

Let me know if you have further problems.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest daveinob
I changed the "Authentication" to "Shared" and still have the same problems. Is anyone else still having trouble with the WiFi or know of any other fixes?

Yes, I'm having the same problem too. It connects to my router, but will not open an IE page. It gives me an "alert" "Page can not be found. Check the address and try again."

T-Mobile is no help. It seem to maybe an issue with my firewall for my router, but I don't know, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions.

Guest daveinob
I can connect dash to my home network using WEP.

If you follow the normal procedure, you will fail.

The key part is the setting on "Authentication".

The default mode is "open", it should be set to "shared".

To change it, select the wifi network from the list, and select "Next".

You will find "Authentication" at the top of the screen, change

it to "Shared". You will see dash connected to the network sucessfully.

You only need to set it once, next time when you turn the wifi

on from comm manager, it will connect immediately.

Let me know if you have further problems.

I tried to set the Authentication to Shared, but then it comes back and says that the network key is invalid, and when I change it back to open it also comes back and says that the key is invaild, and I'm 100% sure I entered it correctly. Any ideas?

Guest dmoto20
Yes, I'm having the same problem too. It connects to my router, but will not open an IE page. It gives me an "alert" "Page can not be found. Check the address and try again."

T-Mobile is no help. It seem to maybe an issue with my firewall for my router, but I don't know, and I'm not sure how to fix it. Any suggestions.

I agree that it may be both a router and an IE issue. IE works fine at my house with a US Robotics router, but IE does not seem to work at my girlfriend's with a Linksys router. However, I downloaded the Google Maps and GMail Java programs and they work with the Linksys router.

Guest Jason Coleman

It's probably not overly helpful, unless someone is compiling a list of successful connections hardware.

I was immdiately able to connect my Dash to a Linksys WRT54G running DD-WRT firmware, using WPA2 shared passkey with AES encryption. I was impressed as heck that it actually supported that advanced of a level of encryption.

Guest Jason Coleman

Something just occurred to me, for those people that are having "Page not found" errors in IE. Since the Dash is getting it's address information from DHCP, it is presumably attempting to retrieve DNS servers from DHCP as well. Maybe your routers are not passing on DHCP info? Of course this theory is shot if your computers are working fine, but also keep in mind that DNS servers don't HAVE to be automatically populated by DHCP. So you may have manually configured them on other clients. Missing DNS server entries would cause this exact problem and could be caused by misconfigured/missing DNS information and the DHCP server.

• 8 months later...
Guest SteveMW

I have a Linksys WRVS4400N router and had problems connecting my Dash to it using WPA2-PSK until I reaslized the Dash wasn't saving my network passkey correctly. I changed the passphrase to a pure alpha-numeric (no "-", and especially no "$") and had no problems connecting and using my Dash with wifi encryption.

Guest SteveMW
Something just occurred to me, for those people that are having "Page not found" errors in IE. Since the Dash is getting it's address information from DHCP, it is presumably attempting to retrieve DNS servers from DHCP as well. Maybe your routers are not passing on DHCP info? Of course this theory is shot if your computers are working fine, but also keep in mind that DNS servers don't HAVE to be automatically populated by DHCP. So you may have manually configured them on other clients. Missing DNS server entries would cause this exact problem and could be caused by misconfigured/missing DNS information and the DHCP server.

If you are using a Microsoft DHCP server you must configure the additional settings for the DHCP client including default gateway and DNS servers.