T-Mobile DASH gprs/edge internet via proxy

Guest Nellis

Ok, ive looked almost everywhere and I cannot find an answer on this. Can you connect a T-mobile DASH to the internet (gprs/edge) if you have the $5.99 t-zones internet plan , and use proxy settings like other models?? This would bypass having to purchase the $30 total internet package plan that they are selling w/ the dash. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated! thanks!

Guest notaliberal

I'm nearly positive that you can. T-mobile will, of course, tell you differently...

Is the dash a ppc or a smartphone?

Either way, go to think link and get the proper cabs for your phone. If it 's a smartphone, use the first link. If it's a ppc, use the link from post #7.

Transfer the cabs to the phone, and run them with the file manager. Then set the Options -> Connections menu in PIE to connect via WAP Network.

Let us know if that works, good luck,

according to t-mobile it is a smartphone,..

I asked 2 sales reps this question (they knew their s***,.. somewhat) one said that you can,.. the other said you cant because you no longer have access to the proxy settings on the DASH.

From what I read on random websites, you cannot access all areas of t-zones on the dash, people are reporting that you cannot download ringers, etc. Maybe this is an attempt by t-mobile to stop us from changing the proxy?

Guest notaliberal

huh, it is proving difficult to find any info on this.

Still, if anything, I would assume t-mobile simplu HID the proxy settings from us, because we all found out how to set them up for t-zones.

That being said, I bet you can sstill install the cabs and get it working. I'm nearly certain that it couldn't do any harm, it would just fail the install, or say it's not intended for your device.

Give it a shot and see if it works...

Then report back what you find...

Guest chaznet

The Dash has a separate browser for TZones, WinWap. Without the TZones plan, you can access your billing info with it, with the TZones plan you get the other stuff. For IE browsing, Exchange Mail, etc, you'll need the Total Internet package which costs quite a bit more. They've been working towards a way to offer TZones and/or Total Internet on Windows Mobile devices -- looks like the Dash is the first one to have this.

huh, it is proving difficult to find any info on this.

Still, if anything, I would assume t-mobile simplu HID the proxy settings from us, because we all found out how to set them up for t-zones.

That being said, I bet you can sstill install the cabs and get it working. I'm nearly certain that it couldn't do any harm, it would just fail the install, or say it's not intended for your device.

Give it a shot and see if it works...

Then report back what you find...

The Dash has a separate browser for TZones, WinWap. Without the TZones plan, you can access your billing info with it, with the TZones plan you get the other stuff. For IE browsing, Exchange Mail, etc, you'll need the Total Internet package which costs quite a bit more. They've been working towards a way to offer TZones and/or Total Internet on Windows Mobile devices -- looks like the Dash is the first one to have this.

CORRECT TMobile GPRS/t-zones settings for Microsoft Smartphones

Connections->GPRS->Tmobile GPRS:

Connects to: WAP Network

Access point: wap.voicestream.com

Connections->Proxy->T-mobile:

Connects from: WAP Network

Connects to: The Internet

Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080

Type: HTTP

Connections->Menu->Advanced:

all connections set to automatic

Edge and IE work fine on any of the T-Zones plans with these settings on the dash just pop them in to Settings / Connection /

Guest Mrs. Dash
Ok, ive looked almost everywhere and I cannot find an answer on this. Can you connect a T-mobile DASH to the internet (gprs/edge) if you have the $5.99 t-zones internet plan , and use proxy settings like other models?? This would bypass having to purchase the $30 total internet package plan that they are selling w/ the dash. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated! thanks!

i left a reply under the wifi. but the same issue try changing your access point under gprd tmobile data to internet2.voicestream.com,

• 2 weeks later...
Guest wizzerdo

it is very possible... i set up a proxy on my spare computer at home... now my friend and i have unlimited access over edge... i also set up some free software that allows me to stream any videos or music on my desktop...and since it's a media center as well...i stream live tv...the software converts it to cell screen size... I am in love with my dash now :-)

Guest Mrs. Dash
it is very possible... i set up a proxy on my spare computer at home... now my friend and i have unlimited access over edge... i also set up some free software that allows me to stream any videos or music on my desktop...and since it's a media center as well...i stream live tv...the software converts it to cell screen size... I am in love with my dash now :-)

How do you setup a proxy that allows your to connect to the edge network? and it allows you to connect everywhere just as if you had the 29.99 unlimited internet?

• 4 weeks later...
Guest bennybenz
CORRECT TMobile GPRS/t-zones settings for Microsoft Smartphones

Connections->GPRS->Tmobile GPRS:

Connections->Proxy->T-mobile:

Connects from: WAP Network

Connects to: The Internet

Proxy: 216.155.165.50:8080

Connections->Menu->Advanced:

all connections set to automatic

Edge and IE work fine on any of the T-Zones plans with these settings on the dash just pop them in to Settings / Connection /

Does anyone know any easy way to switch between GPRS and WiFi? After I have the proxy settings like above I have to manually change my programs (e.g. IE) to select the WAP Network, which would require that I change it manually aswell when I want to use WiFi. thanks.

• 2 weeks later...

i enabled my tzones and tried the setting above immediately afterwards and got some kind of page error. then i entered these other setting i had saved in a notepad. And it worked right away.

GPRS Connections

Description: T-Zones GPRS

Connects to: The Interent

User name:

Password:

Primary DNS: 216.155.165.50

Secondary DNS:

IP address:

Proxy Connections

Description: T-Zones Proxy

Connects from: The Internet

Proxy (name:port): 216.155.165.50:8080

User name:

Password:

i left my IE setting on automatic.

Wifi works without changing settings, wifi is definatily faster though

Guest Mrs. Dash

Using only the TZones plan for 5.99 with the Proxy settings can one have unlimited use of email and internet explorer? is the speed similar or slower than total internet? My only concern is if the email only works with the total internet plan for $29 or is it fully functional using the TZones plan?

Thanks,

Mrs. Dash

i enabled my tzones and tried the setting above immediately afterwards and got some kind of page error. then i entered these other setting i had saved in a notepad. And it worked right away.

GPRS Connections

Description: T-Zones GPRS

Connects to: The Interent

User name:

Password:

Primary DNS: 216.155.165.50

Secondary DNS:

IP address:

Proxy Connections

Description: T-Zones Proxy

Connects from: The Internet

Proxy (name:port): 216.155.165.50:8080

User name:

Password:

i left my IE setting on automatic.

Wifi works without changing settings, wifi is definatily faster though

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest betatesterzzz
on the dash, there's two gprs setting; T-Mobile Data; and T-mobile MMS, which do i use to create the internet?

Its TM data.

Anyone know how to set this up fpr the edge network? Am I missing something.

I can get it to work but the speeds are 40-56kps. Anyone know what is the setup procedure for edge. If its the same what am I missing?

• 2 months later...
Guest snofrandy
Its TM data.

Anyone know how to set this up fpr the edge network? Am I missing something.

I can get it to work but the speeds are 40-56kps. Anyone know what is the setup procedure for edge. If its the same what am I missing?

ya me too. i was testing the speed at dslreports.com/mspeed @ 200kb and came out w/ 35-61kbps. is there a reason why it's like this?

• 1 month later...
Guest meyerst
ya me too. i was testing the speed at dslreports.com/mspeed @ 200kb and came out w/ 35-61kbps. is there a reason why it's like this?

I have a Dash with WinMo6 and cannot get it to connect to the Internet (as I did with my MDA) nor with Exchange Server. Are you running WinMo6 or version 5? Also, if you are using 6 and it works, could you pass on the settings? I used T-Zones with my MDA and it worked well!

Edited by meyerst

• 4 months later...
Guest chevyrestore

WINDOWS MOBILE 6 INTERNET SETTINGS!

ok first of all both of you guys that posted settings, they will work for the older versions. Good job for that cuz of the million tmobile phones I used that on!

Here are the settings for WM6

settings

connections

gprs

edit the existing T-Mobile Data with the following

connects to: wap network

access point: wap.voicestream.com

username and passwork: (leave blank)

authentication type: none

primary dns: 216.155.165.50

secondaty dns: 0.0.0.0

ip address: (leave blank)

now go back to connections menu

select gprs

select New...

name: tmobile gprs

user name and password: (leave blank)

secondary dns: 0.0.0.0

now go to proxy from the connections menu

add new proxy

name: tmobile proxy

connects from: wap network

connects to: the internet

proxy (name:port): 216.155.165.50:8080

type: HTTP

username and password: (leave blank)

now go back to the connections menu

click menu

select advanced

set all connections to automatic

now open IE

click menu

select tools

select options

select connections

check automatically detect settings

select network: wap network

I know you shouldnt need to GPRS accounts but for some reason on certain WM6 phones it ONLY works with both, doesnt matter if you have one or the other it wont work unless you have both (on certain phones), mine as well just put it all in, wont hurt anyway :(

ne people with comments on this reply back, id like to hear how its workin for all you out there!

P.S., this was all tested on 4 different t-mobile dash phones

• 4 weeks later...
Guest echoes35

ok first of all both of you guys that posted settings, they will work for the older versions. Good job for that cuz of the million tmobile phones I used that on!

settings

connections

gprs

select gprs

select New...

add new proxy

click menu

select advanced

now open IE

click menu

select tools

select options

select connections

I know you shouldnt need to GPRS accounts but for some reason on certain WM6 phones it ONLY works with both, doesnt matter if you have one or the other it wont work unless you have both (on certain phones), mine as well just put it all in, wont hurt anyway :)

ne people with comments on this reply back, id like to hear how its workin for all you out there!

After doing these setting changes on my WM6 Dash, all that remains is to change from my T-Mobile Total Internet Add-on $19.99 plan to the T-MobileWeb $5.99 plan, correct??

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Crystal Marina

settings

connections

gprs

select gprs

select New...

add new proxy

click menu

select advanced

now open IE

click menu

select tools

select options

select connections

I know you shouldnt need to GPRS accounts but for some reason on certain WM6 phones it ONLY works with both, doesnt matter if you have one or the other it wont work unless you have both (on certain phones), mine as well just put it all in, wont hurt anyway :)

That works perfect!! I am so glad I found this out! The only problem is that i cannot connect to windows live! I connected through my comnputer setting it up and all which iwas successfull but i was hoping it would work after i disconnected but it just gives me alert ! there was a problem signing you in to messenger , it may be the service or you may be in a place with bad reception please try again later.

i tried several times but it doesnt work :D any idea what i can do?

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bigxsig

OK, well I'm positive that I don't have the 29.99 Internet plan, nor the 5.99 T-Zones web plan, but I entered int he settings above, and then when I used my Internet Explorer, I was connected to the internet. I had wifi turned off so it wasn't that, and my phone wasn't connected via usb. Is the 5.99 T-zones web plan the one that lets you have T-zones in general? Like to download ringtones or wallpaper and stuff because I have that, but Idk about the T-mobile web. And does putting in those settings automatically give you the plan or something and now I have 5.99 put on my bill, or will it charge me everytime I use the internet? Please reply!

Edited by bigxsig

Guest russelharvey

settings

connections

gprs

select gprs

select New...

add new proxy

click menu

select advanced

now open IE

click menu

select tools

select options

select connections

I know you shouldnt need to GPRS accounts but for some reason on certain WM6 phones it ONLY works with both, doesnt matter if you have one or the other it wont work unless you have both (on certain phones), mine as well just put it all in, wont hurt anyway :D

I used to have the $19.99 plan now I saw this so changed to $5.99 plan.

After I set up as above, the web browser works fine but my email accounts set in the outlook mobile as using smtp and imap4 started to have sync error. These email accounts are from google email to regular smtp server, all used to work when I had $19.99 plan.

The setting difference between $19.99 and $5.99 plan is in the GPRS access point, it used to be:

internet2.voicestream.com, now is wap.voicestream.com

The other difference is the proxy setting, used to be wap.voicestream.com:8080 now 216.150.165.50:8080.

The tricky one is the "connect from" and "connect to" in the proxy setting:

if I set as connect from "the internet" and connect to "wap network", then web won't work but email are fine; Otherwise, if it's connect from wap network and connect to the internet as instructed in above, then the web works fine but email all have sync error.

What's the catch?

Guest rbdeflep

settings

connections

gprs

select gprs

select New...

add new proxy

click menu

select advanced

now open IE

click menu

select tools

select options

select connections

I know you shouldnt need to GPRS accounts but for some reason on certain WM6 phones it ONLY works with both, doesnt matter if you have one or the other it wont work unless you have both (on certain phones), mine as well just put it all in, wont hurt anyway :D

Guest rbdeflep

settings

connections

gprs

select gprs

select New...

add new proxy

click menu

select advanced

now open IE

click menu

select tools

select options

select connections

If works great. I can get on Internet explore, opera, etc with no problems; but I can't get the t-zones to work anymore. Is it okay to leave it alone, or do I need to reset a setting to get it working again? Thanks

Guest chrisell

Thankyou Thankyou Thankyou!

I've been trying for two weeks to get my unlocked Blackjack to work - I was missing the second GPRS setting. It works now - so does google maps and MSNLive.

Thankyou!!!