Trinity - When is it out?

Guest debully

Guest debully

Not sure how much longer I can live with the m500. Been out of contract for 3 months now and every second call is from Orange (or affiliates) trying to flog me a new contract.

Ben

Guest wingnutLP

I am waiting to upgrade my SP5m and I really want to wait for the trinity. TBH I think I will wait as long as it takes because it looks too good to miss.

I was actually temped to ditch smartphones altogether and go for one of the new Samsung super slim slide out jobbies. Blasphemy I know!!

Then I came to my senses and realised that I would never be happy with a phone that every second chav has! Plus the lure of high speed data and my new found opera browser is too great :rolleyes:

If anyone hears anything then please keep us posted.

Guest The Doctor
I am waiting to upgrade my SP5m and I really want to wait for the trinity. TBH I think I will wait as long as it takes because it looks too good to miss.

I was actually temped to ditch smartphones altogether and go for one of the new Samsung super slim slide out jobbies. Blasphemy I know!!

Then I came to my senses and realised that I would never be happy with a phone that every second chav has! Plus the lure of high speed data and my new found opera browser is too great :rolleyes:

If anyone hears anything then please keep us posted.

Not too long for it to come out as the HTC P3600, bit longer for the SPV M700 as Orange will only be releasing it when HTC can sort out the issues between the GSM radio and GPS chipset (yes! it has GPS crammed in there too!). Orange will be offering it with or without their own navigation software 'Orange Navigator' in varous bundles with different maps.

So just hold on for a bit longer, its not too far away :(

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest debully
went into my local orange shop on friday and asked about this phone. the guy told me orange will not be releasing it as they have had problems with it..............

from what I hsve read he should of said "They wont be releasing it until they have fixed the problems"

It has problems with the GPS interferring with the GSM radio (correct me if I'm wrong). There was talk of Orange releasing the phone with the GPS disabled then releasing a patch once they had fixed the GPS issues.

This is just my understanding of the situation and I could be totally wrong, but I reckon the likes of modaco, coolsmartphone and msmobiles are better informed than your average orange retailer. Bless 'em.

Wish they'd hurry up so I can ebay the m500 - it's looking very tired all of a sudden.

Guest The Doctor
from what I hsve read he should of said "They wont be releasing it until they have fixed the problems"

It has problems with the GPS interferring with the GSM radio (correct me if I'm wrong). There was talk of Orange releasing the phone with the GPS disabled then releasing a patch once they had fixed the GPS issues.

Thats exactly it. They WILL be releasing it but will only enable GPS when HTC can sort out the issues between the qualcomm 3G radio chipset and the GPS chipset as at the moment the interfere with eachother :D This 'patch' will most likely be in the form of a ROM update which will rewrite the radio stack on the device so the two systems no longer interfere AND enable the GPS in the OS as well :)

Phil

Guest The Doctor
went into my local orange shop on friday and asked about this phone. the guy told me orange will not be releasing it as they have had problems with it..............

I think that they were thinking of the SPV C700, its recently been pulled as orange can't get their act together about it and actually fix the problems. Its also been taken off the shelves in all the orange shops in switzerland.

Phil

• 2 weeks later...
Guest debully
Looks like it is soon to be available here: http://www.expansys.com/b.aspx?i=139981 and here: http://www.easydevices.co.uk/pp/PDA/HTC/HTC_P3600.html

No mention og the GPS chipset...

Is there any guarantee that if I get one of these a firmware upgrade will unlock the GPS functionality?

Looks like being a dodgy sort of GPS chip which will rely on the availability of a GSM network to get a fix. Orange will make a fortune in GPRS charges when users eventually use the GPS.

Personally I've had enough already of the complete vagueness of this device and wouldn't be surprised if the GPS never materialises through official channels. I'm therefore plumbing for the the Artemis in an O2 variety which has a superior SurfStar GPS chip and wi-fi which the T-Mob variant has not - which is a shame as the WaW deals are good value IMO. Its worth mentioning that the o2 device is actually smaller and lighter than my current M500 but has a shed load more feutures. The only thing it seems to lack is 3G - I aint gonna miss that!

It looks like O2's insurance is now finally comparable (but not as good) as the Orange Care that i rely heavily on. (I'm a self-employed plasterer - I need the business aspects of a PPC but tend to drop the phones in buckets of gooey liquid).

Just phoned o2 and told it'll be available from Monday - no prices yet though. Please keep this information to yourself!

Adios

Guest Paul (MVP)
Looks like being a dodgy sort of GPS chip which will rely on the availability of a GSM network to get a fix. Orange will make a fortune in GPRS charges when users eventually use the GPS.
No, it will be a real GPS chip.

Artemis in an O2 variety which has a superior SurfStar GPS chip and wi-fi which the T-Mob variant has not

The T-Mob variant does have SiRFstar III too.

P

Guest debully
No, it will be a real GPS chip.

The T-Mob variant does have SiRFstar III too.

P

The GPS functionallity in the Trinity consists of two parts. First the Qualcomm 6275 chip which contains the processing part and provides the possibillity of assitence by cellphone towers (AGPS).

(Source:HTC - via http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread...234&page=8)

Yes the T-mob variant has SirfStar - sorry if that was misleading.

To reiterate - the only thing the Trinity seems to have over the Artemis is 3G.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, although it is AGPS, it can allegedly function in standalone mode, but the performance is TBC.

Of course, it will probably not be as good as the SiRF chipset without the network assistance.

Remember the Trinity is 400MHz as opposed to the Artemis 200MHz, has 3G as you point out and dual cameras for video calling. It has miniSD rather than microSD, and a bigger capacity battery, although due to the better specs that may not equate to bettery battery life of course :)

It also has a proper dpad rather than a RollR :D

P

Guest debully
Well, although it is AGPS, it can allegedly function in standalone mode, but the performance is TBC.

Of course, it will probably not be as good as the SiRF chipset without the network assistance.

Remember the Trinity is 400MHz as opposed to the Artemis 200MHz, has 3G as you point out and dual cameras for video calling. It has miniSD rather than microSD, and a bigger capacity battery, although due to the better specs that may not equate to bettery battery life of course :)

It also has a proper dpad rather than a RollR :D

P

Hmm - didn't realise that about the microSD/miniSD - looks like 2Gig is the current limit for micro ATM compared to 4Gb for Mini - I currently have a 2GB in my M500 and TBH its more than adequate for a few apps, TTN5 and 20 albums. Hopefully micro will catch up with mini?

How bad *is* the RollR? Reveiws seem a bit 'marmite' to me. Would be nice to hear your professional opinion. The Orbit's RollR glows blue BTW...woooooo.... :-)

debully

Guest debully
Hmm - didn't realise that about the microSD/miniSD - looks like 2Gig is the current limit for micro ATM compared to 4Gb for Mini - I currently have a 2GB in my M500 and TBH its more than adequate for a few apps, TTN5 and 20 albums. Hopefully micro will catch up with mini?

How bad *is* the RollR? Reveiws seem a bit 'marmite' to me. Would be nice to hear your professional opinion. The Orbit's RollR glows blue BTW...woooooo.... :-)

debully

Well after securing an orbit this saturday for absolutely free on a £35 / month (400 MINS/100 TXTS)

contract I can honstly say that the RollR aint that bad. I'd rather have a conventional m500 d-pad but it aint a pain in the rear. Tend to use the ring more really which is a rather inspired creation.

The FM radio is decent enough on strong signals such as radio1, not so good on weaker signals. Shame theres no EQ settings.

Shame they insist on hard wiring the crappy HTC earpieces and not provide a 3.5mm socket in which to plug your Senheissers into. Aint had chance to try the GPS yet as I've had to order a miniSD card to host the software.

Comes with bluetooth 1.2 which is a disappointment IMO. Great device though - lighter and smaller than the Magician it replaces (although not as German feeling).

Would recommend to anyone who just cant wait for the Trinity - especially if u need integrated GPS.

Guest tobyanscombe

I picked up a Trinity from TCR today - on the whole am quite impressed.

It is much quicker than my (Molski) MDA, the layout is nicer and the jog wheel makes a difference. I looked that the 3300 and then they pulled out the 3600 which suprised me so out came the credit card...

There is no GPS (yet) and geezer in the shop did not mention it at all despite me being interested in the 3300 for the GPS side of things but who knows whats really coming or not.

Dear god though; the case is like a fingerprint magnet (think PS3 of which they are selling them for £900 on import) with the black so give some thought if you are a fashion victim.

Any questions then give me a shout..

I picked up a Trinity from TCR today - on the whole am quite impressed.

What/where is "TCR" and what sort of a deal did you get?

I'm trying to think of the best (=cheapest) way I can get a Trinity with a (presumably separate) T-mobile FlexT25+WnW tarriff. Any suggestions most appreciated!

Guest tobyanscombe
What/where is "TCR" and what sort of a deal did you get?

I'm trying to think of the best (=cheapest) way I can get a Trinity with a (presumably separate) T-mobile FlexT25+WnW tarriff. Any suggestions most appreciated!

TCR=Tottenham Court Road

I paid 450 for it sim free as I already have a web & walk tariff