Push email questions

Guest f3nd3r

Guest Confucious

Setting up my own exchange server was one of the best things I ever did!

I had a Blackberry a few years ago and loved it but MS push email does most of what a BB does but so much more! I did like the threading on the BB - you could see all your messages to one person in one place, but MS's superior attachment handling and the low cost of implementation make it a winner!

Just my opinion but for me the BB is dead!

Guest touficjohn
Setting up my own exchange server was one of the best things I ever did!

I had a Blackberry a few years ago and loved it but MS push email does most of what a BB does but so much more! I did like the threading on the BB - you could see all your messages to one person in one place, but MS's superior attachment handling and the low cost of implementation make it a winner!

Just my opinion but for me the BB is dead!

Just outta curiosity, you running it on a home machine and version 2003?

Guest waroffice

confucious, could you do a little tutorial on how to set up exchange.

I got it to sync with exchange its just the directpush bit im a little stuck with.

How does exchange know what your mobile number is etc?

Thanks

Guest jimbouk

It doesnt need to know your mobile number - unless you are using an older version of exchange and set it up to do sms sync triggering.

Assuming you are using the correct version, have you installed the ssl certificate - as exchange 2003 sp2 is set up to allow it by default.

Also do you have an ISA server between your device and the exchange server?

Guest waroffice

>It doesnt need to know your mobile number - unless you are using an older version of exchange and set it up to do sms sync triggering.

How does it work then? Im a little confused

>Assuming you are using the correct version, have you installed the ssl certificate - as exchange 2003 sp2 is set up to allow it by default.

Not that i know of, how is that done?

>Also do you have an ISA server between your device and the exchange server?

No, is it needed, i have a CISCO firewall between my server and internet.

I wish there was a step-by-step guide to this, its a bit annoying!

Thanks everyone

Edited by waroffice

Guest touficjohn

I was thinking of writting up a tutorial on how to connect to a typical (like mail2web) exchange service.

Though, I've been thinking about running my own (exchange server) for over a year now...

Anyone else done it? You been able to do it without the need of DYDNS?

Guest Confucious
>It doesnt need to know your mobile number - unless you are using an older version of exchange and set it up to do sms sync triggering.

How does it work then? Im a little confused

Magic

>Assuming you are using the correct version, have you installed the ssl certificate - as exchange 2003 sp2 is set up to allow it by default.

Not that i know of, how is that done?

Get a freeSSL cert from freessl.com - I have a cab at home which I'll put up here later to get the scert allowed on the phone. [edit] now attached[/edit]

>Also do you have an ISA server between your device and the exchange server?

No, is it needed, i have a CISCO firewall between my server and internet.

I wish there was a step-by-step guide to this, its a bit annoying!

Thanks everyone

A friend who knows what he's doing set mine up and I know when he first set the cert up on the server he didn't do it right (wrong leel or something) but if you get the cert on the server and on the phone it should work.

The thing we did first tho was allow non secure access just to make sure it works - but that's rather like turning your virus checker off and not recommended except for a quick test!

HTH

FreeSSL.cab

Edited by Confucious

Guest FlangeArtist

Hi All,

What I want to know about the difference between PUSH and PULL email, is the battery usage.

I have PULL set-up at the moment to pull my email from my POP account every hour. Does someone know what the batter usage is for this (assuming that there is no need to download any emails).

Then does anyone know the battery usage for an hour of using PUSH email, again assuming that there is no need to download any emails?

The reason I ask, is that I don't really have that much of a need to have almost instant delivery of email using PUSH. However, if the batter usage is not that much different, then I'd probably set it up. (have a spare laptop at home, that I could use with my licensed version of M$FT Exchange).