Mobile Device Centre Wont connect

Guest Steev

Hi

I'm trying to get my Vario II to connect to my PC which is running Vista beta 1. I have installed Mobile Device Centre but when I connect my Phone to the PC it wont connect. The PC makes the noise u get when you plug in a USB device but Device Centre doesn't seem to be able to connect to the phone. Has anyone else had this trouble? If so how did you fix it?

Cheers S

Guest Paul (MVP)

I had the same problem... here's what I did to get it going.

- Double click the OneCare icon in the system tray

- Click 'Change OneCare settings'

- Click the 'Firewall' tab

- Click 'Advanced Settings'

- Click 'Ports and Protocols'

You now need to add a bunch of ports, with the following names and numbers. I selected 'both' and scope 'internet' as the Network centre didn't seem to want to keep the phone defined as local.

Name: Airsync, Port: 26675

Name: DTPT, Port: 5721

Name: Handshake & Legacy Replication, Port: 5679

Name: Legacy Replication, Port: 5678

Name: RAPI, Port: 990

Name: Status, Port: 999

OK all the dialogues, then replug your device, and hey presto :)

P

Guest jmechan

Nice one Paul. The same is required under the release version of Vista (MSDN FTW!). Good to see that they managed to get this one figured out in time for launch.

Thanks,

Jon

• 2 months later...

Same problem here - but even after entering the ports as exceptions and even disabling the firewall, I still can't connect. Anyone got any other ideas?

John

Guest proindigo
Which firewall are you using?

P

hes probably using the windows onecare...

I can confirm that the release version of the windows once care firewall doesn't work with the windows device centre and prevents syncing to windows mobile phones....

Makes you wonder why mirosoft is so bad that they can't make their own software compatible with their own products.... Idiots...

I'm using the windows live onecare firewall, but even with it totally disabled all I get are the funny 'connect' noises when I plug in - no connection in WMDC.

The same handset syncs fine with XP / Activesync 4.5 beta, on the same cable - so there's something up with my Vista (Ultimate 32 bit release version with the latest release WMDC, BTW. The beta WMDC was exactly the same!)

Guest Paul (MVP)

Well, i'm using Vista Ultimate with WMDC RTM and OneCare 1.5 RTM, and it's all working fine after I manually set up the ports.

You've set up these ports right?

Port 990 inbound TCP

Port 999 inbound TCP

Port 5678 inbound TCP

Port 5679 outbound UDP

Port 5721 inbound TCP

Port 26675 inbound TCP

P

Thanks for all the help guys. Well, adding the entries in the one care firewall did not help, and neither did uninstalling one care, or the mobile device centre !

Reinstalling Vista did the trick......... luckily I did not activate the software (has been installed less than the three days and I did not allow it to activate automatically), so no problem reinstalling.

Now up and running - but did not bother with onecare this time!

Thanks again

• 5 months later...
Guest alleycattpe
I had the same problem... here's what I did to get it going.

- Double click the OneCare icon in the system tray

- Click 'Change OneCare settings'

- Click the 'Firewall' tab

- Click 'Advanced Settings'

- Click 'Ports and Protocols'

You now need to add a bunch of ports, with the following names and numbers. I selected 'both' and scope 'internet' as the Network centre didn't seem to want to keep the phone defined as local.

Name: Airsync, Port: 26675

Name: DTPT, Port: 5721

Name: Handshake & Legacy Replication, Port: 5679

Name: Legacy Replication, Port: 5678

Name: RAPI, Port: 990

Name: Status, Port: 999

OK all the dialogues, then replug your device, and hey presto :)

P

I had exactly the same problem described by the OP. Vista with OneCare and unable to connect my device.

I don't think there is a need to enter any extra ports. I went through the first batch of steps and when i reached "ports and protocols" i noticed an unchecked port for Activesync. After checking it, I was immediately able to connect my Dopod C720w/Dash/HTC Excalibur through WMDC.