Just got my ETEN X500

Guest DirtyF

Good morning all,

I got my x500 last saturday and I want to give you my first feeling about it.

When I unpacked it, my first disapointement was the leather case which does not have any beld clip. I found also the quality of it a bit cheapo.

The second bad impression was the lack of paper owner manual. There is a quick start guide which must be very difficult to understand for a newbie in the PDA world.

There is a small card in the box where you find a registration number for you to go to the E-Ten web site. I did the step on the web site and I had to fill in a form where a mandatory field is the model of your device. Guess what, the X500 is not in the list, so, you cannot register. Not professional approach.......

I must say that I am using PDA's for a while, my prior models where LOOX 720 and Qtek S100. This is to tell you that I love to customize with additional sofwares.

Tomtom 5.21 installed on it without problem, but, the sound!!!!! No sound guys. I did not test Tomtom6, I will ASAP.

Softick Card Export does not work, even the latest release !!!!!

wm5storage does not work even with a workaround which consist of replacing a dll.

This is ennoying since I cannot use my PDA as USB storage anymore.

SJphone, problem with the sound, like tomtom5.

Anyone can tell me these are third party software. OK but all of them where working on my previous devices.

Finally I found a real bug which cannot be related to wm5 itself. When you setup your sound like the following: pda=no sound and ring tone=any level, then the ring tone does not work and you miss your calls.

I did the same test on a different machine running wm5 and it rings as expected.

The rest of the X500 seems to be pretty stable, I am really impatient to install tomtom6 on it since I am also missing my navigation system.

This device smell like good but not mature enough. The company itself does not reflect a real professional behaviour through its web site.

I am expecting from this forum to find people for sharing impressions and tips about this nice piece of hardware.

Francis.

Edited by DirtyF

• 2 weeks later...

Hi mate,

I have just read your quick review of the Eten Glofish. Could you tell me where you bought it from and how much you paid? There is a guy selling them on ebay at the moment for £650.00. Would you think this is too dear now that you have used yours for a week or two?

Have you found any other issues with it and have you resolved the sound issues?

Cheers...dez16v

( [email protected] )

• 2 weeks later...
...Tomtom 5.21 installed on it without problem, but, the sound!!!!! No sound guys. I did not test Tomtom6, I will ASAP....

Hi Francis,

Did you try Tomtom 6 yet? Any, err, sound?

Looking forward to your reply and thanks in advance,

Brian.

• 2 months later...
Guest SmokinBrit

Hi,

I posted a longer post elsewhere in conjunction with another member having the same troible as myself but maybe Francis you can give me some help as it appear you have cracked what I am unable to do my full post is here

http://www.modaco.com/Configure-GPS-to-wor...om-t251520.html

Bottom line I can't get TomTom Navigator 6 to connect to the X500 GPS device

any ideas?

Many thanks

• 2 months later...
Guest trinode
There is a guy selling them on ebay at the moment for £650.00.

Jeez! 339.58 inc vat at clove.co.uk... (or M700 (x500 with worse camera, but a qwerty keyboard) @ 346.62 inc)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest EtenNewbie

Hi,

Got my ETEN 500 yesterday and GPS works with everything apart from Memory Map OS. To fix it I changed the settings to use NMEA chipset, COM4 Baud 57600, works great now.

I found out the COM port and Baud rate by going to Start > Settings > System > GPS > Hardware Tab.

Then it was just a matter of trial and error with the Manufacturer chipset, but out of a choice of 4 its not that time consuming :rolleyes:

Hope this helps someone.

EtenNewbie

--

Edited by EtenNewbie

• 3 weeks later...
Guest fjdb3

Hi! I just received mine as well. No problem with the COM port for programs and for the device hardware, but where did you configure it to use the NMEA chipset?

Guest Trininorm

[quote name='EtenNewbie' post='822068' date='May 25 2007, 09:11

Got my ETEN 500 yesterday and GPS works with everything apart from Memory Map OS. To fix it I changed the settings to use NMEA chipset, COM4 Baud 57600, works great now.

EtenNewbie

--

Edited by Trininorm

Guest James

Hi Norman,

Welcome to the Site, If you have any items you wish to get help with then just post a new topic and ask! dont be scared! :)

This is a very friendly site..