Who was first with camera phones?

Guest Disco Stu

Guest Disco Stu

Wasn't it a Panasonic on Vodafone ?

I remember seeing a guy at a club in Birmingham swapping video messages with his mate at another club. A crowd formed round this amazing new phenomenon. I've tried it since and its rubbish !

I don't really know but found myself taking a picture at a footie match recently. Leeds seemed to be certain to score from a corner (or free kick ?) and as I'd just finished texting someone I chose to capture the goal on my phone rather than actually watch the action properly. I got a fantastic picture of David Healy volleying the ball into the back of the net but I didn't really see the goal as it happened. As a result I don't have a proper memory of the incident and that can't be right :)

• 2 weeks later...
Guest fluffcat1

Nokia 7650 was *my* first integrated camera phone, and I think the first one in Europe? Summer 2002? And it was a bit poor. And big. And clunky to use. Still have it somewhere....

Richard.

• 2 weeks later...

I may be wrong but I think it was a Sharp phone that was the first to integrate a camera! It was on Vodaphone tho. I remember as I almost bought it but got the Panasonic GD87 which was also around the same time, and also on Vodaphone! The worst thing was you couldn't disable the shutter sound, no naughty photos allowed... not without permission anyway!

:)

At least that was the first I remember seeing in the UK! I'm sure Japan, and probably USA had them before us... again.

Guest Jay3gsm
' date='Feb 7 2006, 16:40' post='277']Yeah, I never owned a 7650, but did quite fancy getting one at the time.

I quite like the slider-form factor...

RIP the Nokia 7110... :)

P

You should check out the N80 when it releases. (Due shortly) Same slide form factor as the 7650, but smaller and packed with the latest features for mobile phone. It is going to rule the Symbian smartphone landscape.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest mini_man

Yeh i used to have the sagem my x7 it was a beauty of a camera phone it took really nice pictures really quickly and even had irda!!

i swear it was the 7650 that had the first camera cos i remember all the fuss about when it was invented.

what about the first colour phones do you remember all that fuss!!

Guest fluffcat1
I've done a quick google and wikipedia but no hits for "first ever camera phone" popping up :)

Googling 'first european camera phone' gave

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/online/st...,727639,00.html

as a hit.

Thurs June 6th 2002

"Nokia's 7650 is Europe's first camera-phone, but there are high hopes for its success. Similar devices have already taken about a third of the Japanese market, where more than a dozen camera-phones are available. "

Richard

• 2 months later...
Guest loki_f

That's a tough one...

I know the first with an attachable camera was the T68 and the CommuniCan from Ericsson.

As for the first with an integrated camera (Which I don't think was release in Europe):

Sharp J-SH04

The first European camera phone would be the:

Nokia 7650

I think the camera phone in the UK was a clamshell by sharp but couldn't name it...

Guest confucious
That's a tough one...

I know the first with an attachable camera was the T68 and the CommuniCan from Ericsson.

I had one of these - it was truly awful :)

Guest sporkguy
I had one of these - it was truly awful :)

lol - my mate had one as well.

I remember us messing about on a dance mat at his house, and him trying to take a photo, "STAND STILL GUYS!"

Even when we stood still, in his perfectly lit lounge, it looked horrendous.

He MMS'd it to my 7210 (which had an attachable camera available) and the quality was laughable.

Guest Paul (MVP)

Yeah, I had a T68 attachable camera.

Was gutted when T68i (think it was) came out, with a nicer colour and the first Sony Ericsson branding, just after i'd got my T68!

P

Guest confucious

I prefered the look of the T68 and with the T68i s/ware it wasn't a bad little phone.

The guy sitting next to me at work still uses his (mind you, he is Italian)

Guest Funster

The original T68 ruled. I got mine sim free on the day of release and at the time the 256 colour screen was way cool. I sold it on to my flatmate a year or so later and I always regretted that. Over New Year we met up in Paris and on the table was my phone, he'd given it to his girlfriend. I then proceeded to bore everyone on how great it was, just like I'm doing now :)

Happy days

Funster

• 3 weeks later...
Guest markdotpeters5

7650, at least in the UK, as I recall. Great phone for it's time. Especially when the video recording software came out!

I'm getting an N80 in the next few days Paul, so I can review it for you if you want.

cheers

M

Guest dr who

Check your firmware version siksik - the original one is apparently EXTREMELY buggy. There are methods for flashing it yourself at home springing up all over the net. Not that I would endorse using a hacked ROM, do it at your own risk, yada yada yada.

• 6 months later...