Data Compression Software

Guest pd.ryder

Guest pd.ryder

I mentioned this in another thread a few days ago. Has anyone experience with using the likes of OnSpeed which professes "up to 6x speed on GPRS" etc. It's ?24.99 a year and I'd like to know more about it (from users) before I take the plunge.

I'm wondering how stable / reliable it is in practice and whether these data speeds are attainable on a mobile using GPRS.

:):)

Guest Jamma14

Thought about it, I think for a mobile device it might be quite a good idea as it quickens up web pages a lot because of the way it compresses text, jpgs etc.

Only thing is if you're looking to download lots of other pre compressed files like mp3s, wmvs, mpgs etc then it isn't going to make it much (if any) quicker.

Where does it mention it for phones though? I can't see it on the site? It mentions GPRS but says you have to have it hooked up to the PC that's running the software. Can't see much point in that, as I only use my phone's internet capabilities if I can't get to a PC.

James

Guest pd.ryder

I noticed the following on the "Find out more" area:

invis.gifbullet.gifFor Pocket PC Users:

Operating systems: Pocket PC 2003 device running Windows CE 4.2 and above

Supported browsers:

invis.gifbullet.gifMicrosoft Internet Explorer *

invis.gifbullet.gifOpera

and also:

bullet_2.gifCan I use ONSPEED with my mobile phone?

Yes. There are two ways to use ONSPEED with your mobile phone.

If you use a Pocket PC handset (Pocket PC 2003 and above), you can install ONSPEED directly onto your mobile phone to accelerate your web surfing. ONSPEED on your Pocket PC gives you the fastest, easiest and most affordable way to surf the Internet from your mobile phone.

which I thought was interesting. The second (see above) is as you described - ie using your moby as a modem for your lappy. I did notice this though:

Please note: ONSPEED does not currently speed up email for Mac and Pocket PC users.

You can also download it via their wap site directly to your phone. I saw the wap address earlier when I was browsing at work but I can't find it now (although this might have more to do with the country locator getting stuck on Afghanistan :D )

[EDIT] Scratch that - I was also on the MobiLuck site :)

Unfortunately, it doesn't list any of the MS Smartphone variants on the compatables list, but it does say their list is not exhaustive. I've emailed them about using it with a WM2003SE device (my C550) and I'll post their response. I have read much of the PPC software will run on the newer WM5 (C600) platform so I guess their feedback will say just that - upgrade!! :P

Guest pd.ryder

Looking at the time difference between Paul [MVP]'s post and mine, they must have had this information to hand when they emailed me to say it wouldn't work with Smartphones.

One in the eye for pd.ryder then :)

Guest Jamma14
Looking at the time difference between Paul [MVP]'s post and mine, they must have had this information to hand when they emailed me to say it wouldn't work with Smartphones.

One in the eye for pd.ryder then :)

Perhaps your email prompted them to do a smartphone version, or release news about it??